Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Safari 3.0 dicor or 2.2 VTT dicor ?

Hi All

My search for an budget SUV has ended with a tie. request you help in making the decision.

Option:
1) 3.0 dicor (Still available with few dealers with good discount)
2) 2.2 VTT dicor

As i approached the Tata dealer they came up with the above options, where on 3.0 dicor they have a huge discount upto 100K and 7K on 2.2 VTT.

Now it has become very difficult for me to choose between the same and i am inclined more towards the 3.0, i have few queries which i need to know from the experts.

1) Why 3.0 was discontinued ?
2) Is it worth for me to take the option 1 ?
3) Is there any issues which i have to check before taking it ?

Need your help guys.

Regards
Tabrez
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:42   #2
BHPian

My 2 cents:

1. The 3.0 was discontinued due to evolution. New engine was developed and old was replaced.
2. I don't think it is worth going in for a new 3.0 DiCOR anymore. The last ones would have been manufactured in 2007 and the 100K discount will be negated by this fact.
3. Owners of 3.0 and 2.2 will be in a better position to answer this!
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would be wary of any old stock, and considering the fact that they actually stopped 3.0 production sometime in August or September 2007, the vehicle they want to sell you is already over a year old.

Buy the new one - buying a 1-year-old vehicle beats the charm of buying a new vehicle in the first place, you might as well go for 2nd hand.
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interesting news!
Which versions are available? What are the prices?

3.0 has the engine of Tata 407 although with Common Rail. It's a proven engine with long life and is still offered in Xenon in South Africa. If you're getting manufacturer's warranty plus extended warranty, I'd say it's an excellent deal.
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

the last 3.0 was produced on 31st July 2007- my truck is from that batch.

a "new" 3.0 would either be a test drive mule with the odo disconnected, or have been lying around in the dealer stockyard and used for errands nearby or in some cases scavenging for parts- either way, not a good option.

as regards the discount, 100k was available even in Dec 2007 when dealers were desperate to offload the remaining few 3.0. Heck, I got 50K off on my truck even though I bought it a day before the 2.2 was launched.

go for a new 2.2- better bet anyday.
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the last 3.0 was produced on 31st July 2007- my truck is from that batch.

a "new" 3.0 would either be a test drive mule with the odo disconnected, or have been lying around in the dealer stockyard and used for errands nearby or in some cases scavenging for parts- either way, not a good option.

as regards the discount, 100k was available even in Dec 2007 when dealers were desperate to offload the remaining few 3.0. Heck, I got 50K off on my truck even though I bought it a day before the 2.2 was launched.

go for a new 2.2- better bet anyday.
I also think you shd go for 2.2. May be this is out of context but when i was buying Getz 1.3 yrs back just before launching Getz prime i got 40K cash discount as dealers wanted to get rid of older models.But i finalzed the deal because Prime was launching 2 3 days time and they have enough cars to be disposed off. Also Getz prime 1.3 still sports the same engine.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

The 3.0 is a pushrod engine.
The 2.2 is a Overhead camshaft engine.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:34   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
Hi All

My search for an budget SUV has ended with a tie. request you help in making the decision.

Option:
2) 2.2 VTT dicor

As i approached the Tata dealer they came up with the above options, where on 3.0 dicor they have a huge discount upto 100K and 7K on 2.2 VTT.

Now it has become very difficult for me to choose between the same and i am inclined more towards the 3.0, i have few queries which i need to know from the experts.

Need your help guys.

Regards
Tabrez
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
My 2 cents:

1. The 3.0 was discontinued due to evolution. New engine was developed and old was replaced.
2. I don't think it is worth going in for a new 3.0 DiCOR anymore. The last ones would have been manufactured in 2007 and the 100K discount will be negated by this fact.
3. Owners of 3.0 and 2.2 will be in a better position to answer this!
I agree with the evolution thing for the Safari,

But the 3 litre engine is not going into an oblivion, few stray reports say that the old 3 L Dicor engine will get under the hood of the upcoming new Safari souped upto 160 BHP and also will do its duty for the Winger.

I still like the 3L for its mass appeal, the 2.2 newer engine i feel lacks a bit of punch( no offenses to anyone) though its so damn well refined than the 3 L.

Tabrez when there's hardly any price difference between the 3L and the 2.2 L after discount why not go in for the new Safari, makes sense does'nt it.

Waiting for your Safari Pics. Go go go..reclaim your life.

A Safari is a Safari is a Safari the grand old BEAST SUV of INDIA.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:39   #9
BHPian

In addition to everything else mentioned about 3.0 vs 2.2, there is one area in which the two differ significantly: refinement. Don't overlook it. You are going all the way to a million rupees, don't fall prey to the temptation of saving 100K.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tabrez,

As you are from bangalore then I must tell you they are not able to sell the same vehical at same discount for last 3/4 months , I think we are talking of same dealer here and the version of 3.0 is Ex.
There must be a reason why this model is not selling even after discount of 1 Lakh

(1) 2.2 VTT is 138 Bhp as compared to 115 of 3.0 and more fuel efficient
So you will get a better engine and less niggles as reported by owners on this forum for cost of 1 lakh.

(3) As the last vehical manufactured was in July 2007 the depriciation of one year should be more the 1 Lakh and this is not a very good deal.

(4) What is the total price at which 3.0 is being offered to you is it 1 lakh less then 2.2 VTT Ex ?

The price difference in new 2.2 VTT Ex and Lx is already 1.4 lakhs , In my openion there are no features to die for in Ex so you can save much more money on buying 2.2 VTT Lx.

Regards
Amit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
Hi All

Option:
2) 2.2 VTT dicor

Need your help guys.

Regards
Tabrez
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for 2.2 VTT. Its a new engine and most of the niggling issues in 3.0 has been taken care off in 2.2. Go for it, THE BEAST. ;-)
Old 3rd September 2008, 13:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

We shouldnt be even discussing this

It should 2.2 all the way.

What good you can do by buying a 1 yr old vehicle and when a new version is available.

but still to each its own.
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:09   #13
BHPian

Hi tabrez02, would you be interested in exploring the user car market, if the deal is good enough? There's a place called "Auto1" on Bannerghatta Main Road, next to SPAR Hypermart, where i saw a mica gold coloured 2.2 VTT on display while driving past (it had the new grille, and has to be the 2.2, in all likelihood. Also had body colured claddings, and assume it's either an EX or a VX).
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bargain more, what of you get a better quote for 3.0 ?
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Buy the new one - buying a 1-year-old vehicle beats the charm of buying a new vehicle in the first place, you might as well go for 2nd hand.
Yeah but he could get a bargain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
3.0 has the engine of Tata 407 although with Common Rail. It's a proven engine with long life and is still offered in Xenon in South Africa. If you're getting manufacturer's warranty plus extended warranty, I'd say it's an excellent deal.
I think likewise. Nothing beats the 407 Block. Just keeps running on and on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The 3.0 is a pushrod engine.
The 2.2 is a Overhead camshaft engine.
Thats nice, but the 3.0 has some very great lineage which single handedly ousted all the Indo Jap LCVs in the early 90s.

The 2.2 is a newbie in the market and yet to prove itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
We shouldnt be even discussing this

It should 2.2 all the way.
Sandeep, you have a 3.0 one right? Have you TD the new 2.2 VTT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bargain more, what of you get a better quote for 3.0 ?

Yeah, ask the dealer for more discounts and grab it if they give you more than 25% or so with all the warranties intact!

Ofcourse, I'm one huge fan of the 407 Block!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks