Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 12:36   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Bolero Invader 4x4 - To buy or not to buy ??

Hi All,

Here’s my irony of searching for a decent offloaded for the past couple of months....

My first choice were CJ340, CL340 DP, MM 540, 550 etc, I later chucked the idea cos I do not have quality knowledge like the jeep veterans UBS, Arka, MM440, RedMM340 etc, nor do I know a qualified and skilled mechanic who knows JEEP in and out and can make it off road worthy.

I had to sadly rule off beauties like Willys MB, CJ2A, 3A, Ford GPW & CJ3B from my list considering the aforementioned knowledge factor & a bitter fact that finding any of them in a pristine or at least road worthy condition is like finding a needle in a haystack, adding to that the absurd prices being quoted for these JEEPs by people who own them was more than enough for me to pull a full stop.

Even if I manage to find one at a decent price, I cannot use it as my daily drive as petrol costs are killing. An Open Top JEEP sure has loads of attitude but while driving 60 Kms a day through dusty polluted roads, character is the last thing which would come to my mind.

Mahindra Major 4x4 was a strong contender but again the crude nature and driving a JEEP without Air con during summer in Mumbai itself stopped me from booking it.

I was finally left with the Invader & Gypsy king. Upon checking with the local mahindra dealer, I was told that a 4x4 Invader with the DI engine and Optional A/C would cost me around 625,000 on road ex-thane. The waiting period for the 4x4 invader is around 20 - 25 days. The dealer was ready to offer me about a discount of 20 K on the 4x4 invader as I already own a Mahindra Scorpio CRDe and am a regular customer of his garage.

On the other hand, the Gypsy King MPFi has a waiting period of 3 months and is priced at 560,000 ex-thane. I will have to plonk in A/C for comfort purposes & LPG fitment to keep my wallet happy. These would add up to 620,000 roughly.

I am particularly inclined towards the Invader and would like to know your thoughts on it. I searched for previous threads on 4x4 invader but did not feel anything relevant to this, if i missed out something, mods please merge this thread with the other one.

Pls help….
Old 30th September 2008, 13:01   #2
evo
BHPian

The Invader is just one step above the major in terms of refinement, no more. However, since you are looking for a jeep, I guess refinement and ergonomics are not an issue!

Personally, I feel that 6.2 lakhs is a lot of money for the cars you have mentioned. Since you have mentioned that you are not averse to used cars, I`m sure you can find a decent gypsy 3-4 years vintage for about 1.5-2.0 lakhs. Invaders will be harder to find on the used segment but will again come at a significant discount.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
.... I`m sure you can find a decent gypsy 3-4 years vintage for about 1.5-2.0 lakhs.
Not exactly OT: I seriously doubt if one can manage to get me a 3-4 years old Gypsy (2004 onwards), for 1.5 - 2 L.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:46   #4
BHPian

@evo,

I have been searching for a used Gypsy but most of them in and around Mumbai have been dieselized and have their transfercase & propellershaft removed.

A few good MG410Ws were checked but owners were quoting absurd prices. I even came across some instances where the Gypsy was a 95 model, 3rd or 4th owner. It had clocked 120,000 kms and the owner was quoting 1.5 lacs for it.

Its really hard to find a Gypsy here which has the 4x4 operational. Most of the rides which I saw were pimped up 2WD gypsies with broad tyres and all other bells and whistles.

Also, please excuse me for the typo in the first post, i incorrectly typed offloaded instead of off roader.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sabareesh, you are facing the classic dilemma : Keen on a competent diesel 4x4, but there simply isn't anything available in the market. The Mahindra Major is, well, too darn utilitarian (and looks the part too). The Mahindra Invader is your best bet, but I am not convinced that it will match the offroad ability of the 340 / 550. I don't like that DI turbo, great torque notwithstanding, but guess the Invader is available with the XD3P. It is this engine that's the one of choice.

The best options for you:

1. Mahindra Inspira : Check on the pricing and availability.

2. Used Gypsy King : Great offroader and a well-maintained example will stay just as reliable as any other Japanese car.

3. Used Mahindra 340 / 540 / 550 : Look around. Several members have pickup up some neat 540's in the recent past.

I suggest you start searching for 4x4s from another states too.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Does Invader have A/C? I am not sure about that.
Old 30th September 2008, 19:50   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does Invader have A/C? I am not sure about that.
Can be fitted easily, since it shares the dashboard and engine from the Bolero.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:50   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs GTO,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Mahindra Major is, well, too darn utilitarian (and looks the part too).
The same reason prevented me from picking up the Major though its a nice JEEP. The Major Souvenir will be a wonderful second car but is miles away from being a primary mode of transport.

Quote:
The Mahindra Invader is your best bet, but I am not convinced that it will match the offroad ability of the 340 / 550. I don't like that DI turbo, great torque notwithstanding, but guess the Invader is available with the XD3P. It is this engine that's the one of choice.
I know it for a fact that Invader can never match the off road abilities of the 340 / 540 / 550, its no where near to the legends like Willys MB, GPW, & the CJ Series.

To begin as an absolute rookie in the world of offroading, who has near zero knowledge of 4x4s, who wants to combine 2 of his requirements with a single vehicle, I don't think I have any other option. I will check out the Invader with the XD3P engine too. Have already told the dealer to send me the specs.

Quote:
The best options for you:
1. Mahindra Inspira : Check on the pricing and availability.
The Inspira is a pimped up Invader which costs nearly a lac and a half more than the On Road Price of a new invader. So O.R.P of Inspira 4x4 would near 7.5 - 8 lacs territory. I can't afford that much right now. If I had 8 lacs at my disposal, I would have blindly picked up a Gurkha.

Quote:
2. Used Gypsy King : Great offroader and a well-maintained example will stay just as reliable as any other Japanese car.
Have been searching for used Gypsies all these while. But no one seems to own a decent near stock Gypsy these days. Those who own it are not willing to part with it. Would love to have a MPFi Gypsy King. Can blindly trust its off road capabilities & reliability. I have been a satisfied Maruti Suzuki customer in the past, Dad had a M 800 for almost 9 years, gave it to my cousin and picked up a 2WD Scorpio DX.

Quote:
3. Used Mahindra 340 / 540 / 550 : Look around. Several members have pickup up some neat 540's in the recent past.
Have been searching for Mahindras as well. But most of them in and around mumbai are 2WDs. I have also heard that these bad boys age significantly faster. Since my to and fro from office to home would be 60 kms a day, I am little hesitant to pick up one of the aforementioned.

Quote:
I suggest you start searching for 4x4s from another states too.
Have this in my mind as a last option. I am quite aware of the hassles involved in transferring a vehicle from one state to the another.

Once again thanks a lot for all your valuable inputs. The search is on & on.... Recollect a few lines from Om Shanti Om

"Picture aabhi baaki hai mere dost.... "
Old 1st October 2008, 19:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I do agree that the CJ/MM series are better offroad than the Invader but if you want a new 4x4 within a reasonable budget and some refinement the Invader is your only choice in diesel and the Gypsy in Petrol. You could install the 7.50x16 Mrf Sandgrip army tires which will give you added ground clearance and add LSDs or Diff locks to improve off-road ability. I personally don't like the looks of the Invader the back seems to be a bit disproportionately high compared to the drivers cabin. However the version of the stryker which Mahindra displayed with the round headlights and grill like the gypsy was really awsome.
Old 2nd October 2008, 14:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I do agree that the CJ/MM series are better offroad than the Invader but if you want a new 4x4 within a reasonable budget and some refinement the Invader is your only choice in diesel and the Gypsy in Petrol. You could install the 7.50x16 Mrf Sandgrip army tires which will give you added ground clearance and add LSDs or Diff locks to improve off-road ability. I personally don't like the looks of the Invader the back seems to be a bit disproportionately high compared to the drivers cabin. However the version of the stryker which Mahindra displayed with the round headlights and grill like the gypsy was really awsome.
Now that M&M has introduced their new Bolero CRDe I wonder if Invader is about to get a make over with that motor. That would make it much more appealing to me anyway.

GTO, have you driven an XDP3 Bolero? It is an absolute BowWow. (That's "dog" for you kanine infidels,,,,means SL00000wwww. Ungodly slow.)

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd October 2008 at 14:40.
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Now that M&M has introduced their new Bolero CRDe I wonder if Invader is about to get a make over with that motor. That would make it much more appealing to me anyway.

GTO, have you driven an XDP3 Bolero? It is an absolute BowWow. (That's "dog" for you kanine infidels,,,,means SL00000wwww. Ungodly slow.)
Not surprising since the XD3PH has been detuned to 68 bhp to make it BSII compliant. This is only 5 bhp more than the Turbo DI without the benefit of the low end torque provided by the Turbo DI. The XD3P is definitely a smoother engine than the Turbo DI, but in hindsight I am glad I went for the Turbo DI rather than the XD3PH in my MM540.

Now I am waiting for some CRDe Bolero owner in Chennai to drive backwards into a brick wall so that I can buy the power train off him ;-).
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:29   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It is an absolute BowWow. (That's "dog" for you kanine infidels,,,,means SL00000wwww. Ungodly slow.)
Yup, have driven the Bolero and its grand-father - The Armada with the 2.1 XDP. I thought it was okay for a Jeep, lethargic only when fully loaded (6+ passengers). Again this is only considering its purpose and positioning. The Sumo Grande etc. are far peppier. We can expect the same of the Bolero CRDe.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2008 at 11:31.

Most Viewed