Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Thinking of an SUV

I'm kind of toying with the idea of replacing my Ikon Flair, which has served me exceptionally well for > 4 years. I initially thought of Feista, but then I realized that if I'm spending 8 lakhs, why buy a car which has the same amount of space as my current car?

So I started scouting for SUV/MUV's

Cars short listed: Innova, Scorpio 2.6, Scorpio mHawk, Tavera
Price range: Lesser the netter, 8 ~ 11 lakhs
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations: Should not have to wait in line to get my car serviced. I'm really happy with Ford's service; although they are expensive, they are extremely responsive and prompt.
Average distance traveled per month: approx 1,200 km
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc): city, rough roads, with a dash of the highways once in a while.
Chauffer driven / self driven: Self!
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family: Yes, but only I drive.
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) : Larger interior space, higher ground clearance than Ikon.
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you): 5 years

Now, I've done a second round of shortlisting, and thrown out the Tavera on advice that it's old, and non-CRDi/CRDe. I like the looks of the Scorpio, but am very concerned about a few things
1) I hear that the build quality is quite poor, and unimpressive, even in the high end models.
2) How safe this vehicle is, really?
3) and how's the service of the dealers?? I can guess not too good, since I've been asking for a test drive for the last one month, and am yet to get one (2.6 is not available sir, manual 2.2 is not available, only automatic is available sir... etc. etc.)

Innova is a really lovely car, and I've driven it a couple of times. Very spacious inside also, but the concerns I have are
1) Lengthwise, pretty large, so may be difficult to park in Bangalore roads.
2) Looks like a US "soccer-mom" style car , and not a SUV.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:58   #2
BANNED

Floyd,

Did'nt you visit this link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...re-please.html

Have you forgotten the Safari or its a strict no no in your case.
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Floyd, I drive a scorpio mHawk and have driven CRDE SLX(last 4 years with Scorpio). Without getting into any comparisions, I have tried to reply to your concerns below in bold

1) I hear that the build quality is quite poor, and unimpressive, even in the high end models. Build quality w.r.to chassis etc is good. Interiors can be a notch higher.
2) How safe this vehicle is, really? I have always found Scorpio safe both in the city and on the highways. Just to remember that any SUV cannot be driven like a Sedan! Very sturdy car, can take you anywhere and everywhere. Requires minimal maintenance and will fetch long miles to the owners.
3) and how's the service of the dealers?? I can guess not too good, since I've been asking for a test drive for the last one month, and am yet to get one (2.6 is not available sir, manual 2.2 is not available, only automatic is available sir... etc. etc.) I have always got a good service from AML motors at Hyderabad. This was one of the specific reason for me to buy a second SCORPIO!!! M&M also has a very customer centric attitude in terms of warranty replacements etc which happens pro-actively instead of we going and asking/fighting for the same. Infact, in HYD I would rate M&M service better than FORDS!!( I also have a ford IKON)

Hope this helps and am sure you shall get more inputs on your query from our TBHP!!

Old 3rd December 2008, 16:19   #4
BHPian

The Scorpio mHawk VLS seems to be coming your way!
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Floyd,

The Scorpio is a capable car, many here would vouch for it including me, many concerns on it are already answered by GETSYRNA.

I seriously think you should also TD the latest Safari 2.2 and objectively analyze it before taking a decision since you mentioned space and large interior as needs.

--Ramky
=====
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:12   #6
BHPian

Floyd,

Look at the Safari - I feel its one of the most sort out SUV. Also you get more value for your money. Scorpio is good no doubt about it but going by creature comforts - SAFARI is the best.

Other thing that you mentioned about the sevice priority - Safari owners get service priority and dont need to even take prior appointments at the Tata service stations.

Safari is the way to go man.
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:18   #7
BHPian

quick replies!!

Thank you guys, quick replies!!
@PAVAN KADAM & kailashnj: Well Safari I didn't consider till you mentioned it.
Looks like tata doesn't advertise it enough, and you dont see too many of them on the roads either (at least in Bengaluru)! Any ideas what's the on-road for Safari now?

@ dkamath: Yes, mHawk VLS is what I was thinking of, since I dont really fancy the bells and whistles like rain sensor, light sensor etc.

BTW, is the 2.6 Scorpio not worth an option. From the way the dealers react when I ask about 2.6 (always not available), it seems like Mahindra may discontinue it in the near future.
Old 3rd December 2008, 18:25   #8
BANNED

Guys, instead of creating one more thread, its better you decide going through these two threads.

Its better than having a thread that will go no where.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...re-please.html

OR

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...their-suv.html
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Innova is a really lovely car, and I've driven it a couple of times. Very spacious inside also, but the concerns I have are
1) Lengthwise, pretty large, so may be difficult to park in Bangalore roads.
2) Looks like a US "soccer-mom" style car , and not a SUV.
now before turns into safari vs scorp vs innova i am not pushing my opinion onto you or forcing you to buy an innova.

1- well i think the safari is just as long if not longer than the innova. get rear parking sensors or a camera and its really not that difficult parking, though rear visibility is worse than a sedan or a hatch.

2- it isnt an suv. its an muv. if you get a nice set of rims and maybe a subtle bodykit it dosent look all that bad though the looks are what stops many people from buying it.

if you are looking for a car that can seat more than 5 people in total comfort the innova it is. the in city driveability is extremely good and turbo lag is very little. cant compare it to the safari or the scorpio since i have not driven both of them much. the refinement in the innova seems better than the other two from what i could make out also the build quailty is miles ahead. also on highways you might find the power to be a bit inadequate but theres a solution for that, petes. (sorry i have to mention it.)

you can also wait for the innova facelift and there will be a few more features like climate control etc. (personally i think they might launch an auto too)

alternately since you drive a lot in the city why not look at the scorpio auto. all the hassle of in city driving is taken away. its another story that the autobox of the scorpio still isnt *tuned* fully and hunts around for gears sometimes.
Old 4th December 2008, 13:51   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic discussed to death. We request you to search within our archive, prior to opening a new thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks