Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yup, can be done! He would enjoy it like my friend's wife did. Hit a bump at 100+ & she went flying from her seat in the middle row & straight into the left rear door. Hurt her elbow pretty badly that day.

i believe that was a mistake, you dint see the bump.

but nobody would hit a bump at 100+. if they do, any SUV would fly, not just the endy.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Actually, it was a dip in the road & I didn't spot it due to some tree shadows. Don't know about any SUV's but most sedans wouldn't have had a problem dealing with it.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Tuscon is expensive at 17.5.... my choice would be the Captiva.
You will not be testing the limits of handling and grip in an SUV.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 2nd February 2009 at 20:43.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's about 23L ex-showroom Delhi and is indeed a AWD. The Endeavour is in comparison much cheaper, the 2.5 is 16.4L & 3.0 being 19L. The Tucson is 17.5L.
A minor correction. Captiva AT AWD is 20.30 ex-showroom Delhi (at least the web site says so). For a lakh and a half more than Endy 3.0, you get AT and more comfortable ride. If I have to do 200 km a day in an SUV, I would pick Captiva over Endy although like others pointed out earlier, Tucson is probably better than both.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, was confused whether it was 20.xx or 21.xx, somehow I remembered 21.xx Thanks for the correction.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:46   #21
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You will not best testing the limits of handling and grip in an SUV.
Aaaah... but you see, that depends entirely on who is driving
Sadly, RWD cars are rare these days, and all of the UVs are RWD when on road, which means, these are probably the only cars that can be used to powerslide/drift, except for high end cars like mercs and beemers.

So if one is an enthusiast, and would like to use the benefits of a RWD drivetrain, it would be nice to have all the handling and grip that one can get!

Please note, I said- UVs are RWD. Captiva is a front wheel drive car

Old 2nd February 2009, 20:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Aaaah... but you see, that depends entirely on who is driving
Sadly, RWD cars are rare these days, and all of the UVs are RWD when on road, which means, these are probably the only cars that can be used to powerslide/drift, except for high end cars like mercs and beemers.

So if one is an enthusiast, and would like to use the benefits of a RWD drivetrain, it would be nice to have all the handling and grip that one can get!

Please note, I said- UVs are RWD. Captiva is a front wheel drive car
I dont think Captiva handles bad especially with those wide tyres it comes shod with and the power which is far from being able to overwhelm a front wheel drive vehicle.

He can also look at Innova seriously... its is one of the most practical and reliable car on Indian roads.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

sorry to hijack Spock's thread but a related question

I know the SAFARI might be a excellent choice but is not being considered here.

however my question is whether a typical Mahindra jeep like the MMs and CJs of the world or a MARUTI GYPSY can be sufficiently modded within a reasonable budget to offer a comfortable high way ride + on reasobably bad roads ?

i mean plush seats, good suspension and a maybe 80-100BHP for good cruising speeds ??

can all this be done for under say 3-4 lakhs including the donor vehicle ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I know the SAFARI might be a excellent choice but is not being considered here.

however my question is whether a typical Mahindra jeep like the MMs and CJs of the world or a MARUTI GYPSY can be sufficiently modded within a reasonable budget to offer a comfortable high way ride + on reasobably bad roads ?

i mean plush seats, good suspension and a maybe 80-100BHP for good cruising speeds ??

can all this be done for under say 3-4 lakhs including the donor vehicle ?
when you have the budget to buy a tucson/endy/captiva, why consider a safari?

i dont think a gypsy or MM can give a comfortable highway ride the way modern SUVs give, even after extensive modifications. and if you do manage, the amount spent would not be practical.
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have a sincere look at Innova. Its an excellent mile muncher. It has the best combination of space, comfort, practicality, peace-of-mind. No other car has the same.

But if your choice is to be made between Endy and Tucson, test drive both and you will come to know. I think Endy for its solid build. Its required on highways. I am shocked to see the responses about ride quality. Honestly I dont have courage to do that 100+ kmph test on Endy. I wonder if the injured lady had used seat belts. If yes ( mostly yes ) then the ride quality is worse that even what M800 offers. Test drive and confirm this fact.

But remember that any SUV will not be able to handle like sedans.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Try sitting in middle/last row of the Endy when it hits the said pothole at speed. You would be in for a rather rude shock.
I'll take your word for it since I'm not a middle-row user. My experience was from the driver's seat - and in my opinion, from where I experienced, its ability to tackle such things was not inferior to some Safaris/Scorpios I'd driven.
Old 3rd February 2009, 07:26   #27
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I'll take your word for it since I'm not a middle-row user. My experience was from the driver's seat - and in my opinion, from where I experienced, its ability to tackle such things was not inferior to some Safaris/Scorpios I'd driven.
You're right about the front row/driver's seat. they are very comfortable. the middle row is as bad as ishan says, probably worse. on the plus side- the handling is very good, and the body roll is reduced, compared to other vehicles of its size and stance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks