Team-BHP - Tata Safari DICOR 3.0 4x4
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Tata Safari DICOR 3.0 4x4 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/57059-tata-safari-dicor-3-0-4x4.html)

Hello Friends:

I have an opportunity to buy a Feb 2006 Safari 3.0 DICOR VX 4x4 for about 7.5 lakhs. It is a single owner vehicle. It is owned by an elderly person who has maintained it regularly with the dealer and it is in immaculate stock condition with no modifications. It has done about 50,000 kms.

I was not really looking for the older Safari's but this opportunity came up and I decided to investigate if it is worth it. I am only cosidering it because it is 4WD and good used 4WD Safari's are quite impossible to find.

I have a specific question. When I was reading through some of the threads, I saw some comment about the JTZ series on the chasis number that came with a bunch of upgrades. Any idea when the JTZ series came to production? I want to make sure that all the retrofits are uptodate before I consider making an offer.

Please see for the relation between JTZ and month of manufacture:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post399590

On your question about the deal. I wouldn't recommend spending 7.5 L for a 50K run Safari. Do bargain for more.

In delhi, Dicor 3.0 Safari is easily available at 5.5 - 6 Lakhs. I am not sure of Kottyam but defiantly is should not be 7.5 Lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1268035)
In delhi, Dicor 3.0 Safari is easily available at 5.5 - 6 Lakhs. I am not sure of Kottyam but defiantly is should not be 7.5 Lakhs.

What variant is that price for? The top end VX4x4 cost nearly twice the price of an LX 4x2, and the VX 4x4 is what, ummm... 4x4Addict (!) is looking at.

A vast majority of the vehicles sold are LX 4x2s - you're probably talking about the used prices for these.

It helps if the owner is known - I wouldnt buy a used Safari from an unknown source or the open market as you never know how it has been treated. Any UV bought 2nd hand for that matter has to be properly scrutinized (unless its a Toyota !).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 1267979)
On your question about the deal. I wouldn't recommend spending 7.5 L for a 50K run Safari. Do bargain for more.

Quote:

It is VX 4x4, used to cost 13 lakh on road bangalore. So IMHO it's a decent deal.

Quote:

You're talking LX I think - he's talking VX 4x4. Don't think you'd get it at that price..........

I think you might need to bargain a bit and get hold of that 3.0L VX 4X4 DICOR.

6 - 6.5 lacs would be a decent price.:)

I think a VX 4x4 is good at that price in mint condition. You may try and bargain for 50k less. I think its a fair price. Most market values of Safaris are still suffering from the TCIC hangover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1268133)
You're talking LX I think - he's talking VX 4x4. Don't think you'd get it at that price..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1268077)
What variant is that price for? The top end VX4x4 cost nearly twice the price of an LX 4x2, and the VX 4x4 is what, ummm... 4x4Addict (!) is looking at.

Indeed it was LX 4x2 (Non-Body Coloured Cladding). Still i believe 4X4 wont be able to fetch that much value, as 4x4 safari ain't a hot seller.

Carwale gives a rough idea of the 2006 Safari VX 4x4 value, though I understand they are indicative prices only. But still the prices lie between 5.5 Lakhs to 6.5 Lakhs for a 4x4 VX.

Individual Value
Car Condition Excellent Good Fair Car Value (Rs.) 6,59,500 6,35,400 5,94,000 Dealer Value
Car Condition Excellent Good Fair Car Value (Rs.) 6,08,500 5,84,400 5,43,000

4x4addict -> you are getting a Safari 3.0L at 7.5L, i guess you need to do a bit of bargain on this and would need to settle somewhere in between 6.5Lakhs to 7Lakhs.

Please do a thorough check of the vehicle in the 4x4 mode and settle it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1268472)
Carwale gives a rough idea of the 2006 Safari VX 4x4 value, though I understand they are indicative prices only. But still the prices lie between 5.5 Lakhs to 6.5 Lakhs for a 4x4 VX.

Ashish, don't forget that prices down South will be higher than what you've mentioned for the NCR. For example, check out Bangalore -
CarValue | My Valuations | CarWale CarValue - CarWale.com

Steer, Suman:

That's an interesting insight - however, (and Tirthankar can add here) vehicles get sold closer to the base price, than to the top end.

Frankly, most people wouldn't pay a decent premium for the bells/whistles and wouldn't care two hoots about the 4x4.

Of course, if this is a rational negotiated deal, your fundae apply - but where the objective is to beat down the price, anything goes :)

Rather, I would discount the 4x4 assuming that the owner has done enough offroad bashing with the 4x4, compared to say a 4x2 owner. Which is why pulsar 180s and palio 1.6 get horrible resale compared to their weaker siblings (not commensurate with their original prices).

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1268510)
Rather, I would discount the 4x4 assuming that the owner has done enough offroad bashing with the 4x4, compared to say a 4x2 owner.

There is absolutely no harm in pipe-dreaming:D

To add my 2 paise to the confusion I have been seeing a used car delaers ads in the Hindu classifieds for a 2008 LX for 6 lakhs in Chennai. Its shown 2-3 weeks in a row - looks like it is not selling :-).

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This person is a family friend who is in his 50s. He bought the 4WD version for use in his farm/plantation and not for boulder bashing like some of us on jeepthrills.

Unfortunately he is know to our family and I cannot completely low ball him like I may have done if it was a total stranger. I am thinking of 7 lakhs which I know maybe slightly on the higher side, but I would consider the premium since I know the person and know the history of the vehicle and the fact that it has 4WD which as you all know is extremely hard to find. According to carwale 7.0 lakhs is the price given for the private party VX 4x4 version in excellent condition.

Now my concern is to ensure that all the retrofits have been done since this vehicle was registered in Feb 2006 hence manufactured sometime in Dec/Jan 2005 and probably doesn't have the retrofits. Unfortunately this person is know an auto enthusiast and a very unlikely would have known about the retrofits.

Are the dealerships supposed to take care of this without customer complaints/requests or are you supposed to ask for them? Suppose he has not go them done, is it too late to get them done for free or will I have to pay for them?

Does anyone have a list of retrofits that I need to be done? He has the full service history so I can verify with the dealer if this has been done or not.