Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 20:01   #1
BHPian

My Toyota Innova story

This forum has helped us a lot in buying a Hyundai getz earlier and I shared my experience Fianally Bought GETZ GLS 1.3

Now is the time to to buy a family mover. I zeroed in on Innova, again this forum helped me make the right decision. I decided on a Petrol 8-S VX as my driving would be less than 1000 KM and I like the smoothness, performance and less maintenance attributes of a petrol Engine. Mostly used in the city with occassional 4 hour trips each way <200KM

The bummer is 2 of 3 Hyderabad dealerships say that the 2009 new Innova is not available in Petrol. This means the Petrol vehicle won't have the following which I feel are important:
1) Automatic Climate Control
2) Steering control audio controls.

My questions is, is it true? If yes, is it worth trading a Petrol one for these and other cosmetic changes?

I wanted the following add-ons and the prices given by dealership
1) Toyota leather seat covers - Rs. 36000/-
2) Rear Spoiler - Rs. 8500/-
3) Side Footboards - Rs. 5500/-
4) Sun Film (V-KOOL) - Rs. 9000/-
Are these the right prices or am I being taken for a ride? Will I get similar quality ones outside at a better price?

Am I missing on any other important accessories?

No freebies are offered other than mudflaps and matt covers. Is it typical on this car? We got boat loads of free stuff on our previous Getz purchase.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

dont get the footboards, they look really bad on the innova and scrape some of the tall speedbreakers. Instead of spending 36k on toyota interiors, head to stanley you will have a lot more colour options.
Actually do not pay for any accessories at the dealer, if you get them for free well and good otherwise you can get a better deal at aftermarket car accessory shops.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
dont get the footboards, they look really bad on the innova and scrape some of the tall speedbreakers. Instead of spending 36k on toyota interiors, head to stanley you will have a lot more colour options.
Actually do not pay for any accessories at the dealer, if you get them for free well and good otherwise you can get a better deal at aftermarket car accessory shops.
Thanks Cooldude. I will certainly keep this in mind and refrain from buying any accessories from the dealership.

BTW, I also just submitted the Petrol 2009/Diesel query on Toyota Website and spoke with them. The customer service representative promised me that she will get back to be asap after finding the details.

If anyone knows good car accessory shops in Hyderabad, please let me know. I am just returning after spending 10 years abroad and little out of touch.
Old 5th May 2009, 14:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

As per my knowledge Petrol Innova is made on order. Petrol Innova gives excellant Fuel Economy ( 7-13kmpl based on driving conditions ) compared to other Petrol vehicles in its class (to be very honest there is no competition to Petrol Innova).

Talking to Toyota directly would help you for sure. so you are in right move. All the best!

About accessories I suggest try good accessories shop, Dealers are too costly and service can be bad than accessories shop where we can stand and get the job done.

My experience: Best Leather Seat Covers: 20,000/- includes leather on gear lever/knob, door pads etc.. just bargain and bargain!! without compromising quality.

Rear spoiler: max. 5000/-, side foot steps: max. 6000/- (in most of the road hump they scrap...) sun film also you can get good one for 6000/- Make sure you choose right accessory shop as few are born to cheat.

Regards,

Ravi.

PS In the begining first 5000km Petrol Innova might give 6.5kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic with Ac on. Make sure you set your expectation from it and then only buy it as you will loose huge money in resale value If you don't like your Petrol Innova

Last edited by ravibhat : 5th May 2009 at 14:40.
Old 5th May 2009, 15:00   #5
BHPian

We've had 3 diesel Innovas and have had no issues at all with maintenance. Apart from regular service we had zero issues. The high torque on the diesel engine is also great on the ghats.

Byas
Old 5th May 2009, 15:19   #6
BHPian

I don't see a reason for toyota to continue the petrol in the old shape. It just does not make any sense to deviate from the production line for a version which is anyway low on numbers. Possibility is the Dealers have got a 2008 end-2009 early model with them and so the excuse. I suggest you continue to wait till the petrol is available in new shape. The website also states that the "All new Innova " is available in petrol and CNG as well

Toyota - Innova

P.S. - Instead of spending 36k on leather seats why not get a JVC/Pioneer tocuhscreen HU (25k)with DVD/USB/ etc. It would add to the entertainment quotient n the Car
Old 5th May 2009, 20:49   #7
BHPian

#4 ravibhat, thanks for the information.
#5 71convertible, I didn't like the truck like feeling and slight rattling of Diesel Innova on my test drive. This is the first time I drove a diesel and I felt it's little sluggish when starting from rest.
#6 I wanted some leather covers as they are easy to maintain with kids. Never liked the video entertainment options in car as I feel they are addictive to kids

Some updates:
The Toyota company guys from Bangalore spoke with the dealership and a lady from a different department in sales called me. She did some follow up and told me that there are two 2009 Petrol vehicles available but will confirm tomorrow. Unfortunately my color choice is not available, so now need to fight for it as my son is fixated on red color. So, at this point I guess the sales guys are trying to fool me. I will update once I get the confirmed news probably tomorrow.
Old 5th May 2009, 23:00   #8
BHPian

Reasons to buy a diesel Innova : -
  • It's got unbelivable resale value.
  • Fuel Efficiency.
  • It's got good after market performance enhancement chips off the rack (Read Petes)
  • Last time i checked the service cost for the petrol model was higher than the diesel varient.
  • Like all diesels it's better to drive around town too with good usable torque
  • Available with 7 Seat Option.
In your case I'll add, easy availability of model and colour of your choice.

Last edited by muneemmk : 5th May 2009 at 23:03. Reason: formating
Old 6th May 2009, 11:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Reasons to buy a diesel Innova : -
  • It's got unbelivable resale value.
  • I don't plan to sell this vehicle atleast for 10 years. Infact any vehicle once I buy I will use it for the entire life of it.
  • Quote:
    Fuel Efficiency.
    I drive around 1000KM per month, so shouldn't be a big issue for me.
  • Quote:
    It's got good after market performance enhancement chips off the rack (Read Petes)
    I am not interested in any after market enhancements. Generally I buy the top end model and leave it alone.
  • Quote:
    Last time i checked the service cost for the petrol model was higher than the diesel varient.
    My understanding from reading various threads in this forum is petrol is easier to maintain in the long run and it has a longer life. Let me know otherwise with some credible evidence if you can, as I plan to keep this vehicle for the long run.
  • Quote:
    Like all diesels it's better to drive around town too with good usable torque
    But I found it to be sluggish when start from rest unlike my Getz prime 1.3 GVS which is very peppy and responsive in city traffic. BTW, I used a Petrol Lexus RX 300 in US for the last 10 years and was pampered and spoilt.
  • Quote:
    Available with 7 Seat Option.
    I specifically want 8 seater
Quote:
In your case I'll add, easy availability of model and colour of your choice.
Yes, this is becoming a big issue which I didn't anticipate. This might be the tipping point for me to go for a Diesel. I am not too averse to Diesel as well but Petrol is my first choice and I would like to explore all avenues. If not, I am OK to settle for a Diesel.
Old 6th May 2009, 15:07   #10
BANNED

1000km per month is a bit on the lower side for a diesel. However, knowing that almost all Innovas are diesels, and it is an excellent engine I would suggest you go for it.

Later on if you need more oomph you can always 'Pete it'
Old 6th May 2009, 16:34   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions. Latest updates:
The other sales person from the dealership who is working with Toyota confirms that there are two vehicles available but not my color choice. I won't be getting the 20000 cash back that was promised on the Diesel earlier. I am still thinking hard but analyzing the whole situation, looks like I am better off choosing Diesel.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Murali Let me talk to key people and figure out whats going on with New Look Petrol Innova. I will let you know what I find out from Toyota.

For your requirement settle only for New Look Petrol Innova RED Colour Wait and watch for 3 months to get it. I am sure you will get it, Since you will use it for 10+ yrs it makes all sense to go for this highway cruiser eye closed.

Trust me 8 seator is more comfortable than 7 one for family use with KIDs. 1000km per month and 10+ yrs of ownership means it has to be Petrol! You will enjoy everybit of it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:56   #13
BHPian

#12 ravibhat,
That would be really helpful if you can give me some latest information on New look Petrol Innova.

Thanks again for giving me clarity on my requirements and my choice. That reaffirmed my decision.
Old 11th May 2009, 23:45   #14
BHPian

Finally I test drove a 2008 Petrol Innova and 2009 Diesel one back to back today to compare. I didn't find much difference in driving pleasure and infact Diesel to be easy on clutch, smoother and without much jerks.

On the petrol side, I could get my color choice if I wait for 20 days (6000 discount on Diesel)according to one dealership and upto 2 months (20000 discount on Diesel) according to another. I will be taking the vehicle on company lease (a benefit for our pay grade) and the above discounts are valid on that lease. Other than that I am bargaining for a rear spoiler. No other freebies.

So, considering all the pros and cons and my recenet test drive experience, I have decided to go with a Diesel.

Are these discounts and freebies typical or can I bargain for more in Hyderabad?
Old 12th May 2009, 14:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good going gmmurali. Make a choice based on your like. If you are buying brand new Diesel make sense because you would get excellant resale value. But If you are not bothered about resale value and like Petrol then that makes better choice.

Its good that you liked Diesel and go with it! Innova is best vehicle available in India right now. You cant find anything wrong with it. My driver still dreams driving Innova after I sold it. Out of 6 cars we owned we drove Innova more even in our Jungle roads.

All the best!

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks