Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 18:27   #16
BHPian

@jaykoot: A buddy of mine had exactly the same requirements and is looking down to put a deposit on the 7 seater Scorpio. The only reason he did not pickup the Xylo was due to the fugly looks and the machine and the sweeter driving experience on the Scorpio. If this is not a deterrent, then in this price bracket nothing beats the Xylo.

I ws asking raj_5004 about the usability of the backseats of the Scorpio and he was insisting that the folks in the 3rd row needed to do some Acrobatics to fit in and continue to be acrobatic throughout the journey.

So unless you are a master of yoga / want to spend an uncomfortable vacation on the 3rd row/ boot, stick to the Xylo

Neither the Safari not the Scorpio provide a decent 3rd row.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

7 seater scorpio is actually a 5 seater. 5 adults in reasonable comfort. Or 4 large built adults in good comfort.

the front is perfect, the rear is slightly bumpy but can be dealt with provided the passengers are well strapped in.

the last row jump seats are rubbish. only a kid can sit there and then also, only for short distances.

I know, I ve got the Scorp 7 seater. I use the last bit only for luggage- always have done so and unless its an emergency will always continue to do so.

if you want comfort and coddling for 7 people then buy the Innova top end.
Or if budget is a problem seriously consider the Xylo.

Scorpio is fine- I love it - but it is NOT for people who are looking for comfort in the last row seats - certainly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
@jaykoot: A buddy of mine had exactly the same requirements and is looking down to put a deposit on the 7 seater Scorpio. The only reason he did not pickup the Xylo was due to the fugly looks and the machine and the sweeter driving experience on the Scorpio. If this is not a deterrent, then in this price bracket nothing beats the Xylo.

I ws asking raj_5004 about the usability of the backseats of the Scorpio and he was insisting that the folks in the 3rd row needed to do some Acrobatics to fit in and continue to be acrobatic throughout the journey.

So unless you are a mastr of yoga / want to spend an uncomfortable vacation on the 3rd row/ boot, stick to the Xylo

Neither the Safari not the Scorpio provide a decent 3rd row.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2009 at 18:32.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Xylo E6 fits within your budget. I have the MUV run for 9000 kms, no problems as yet.

Value for money and very roomy.

Last edited by beejay : 25th August 2009 at 18:54.
Old 29th August 2009, 17:25   #19

what is the maintenance intervval for Xylo? 5k kms? how much this 5k km visit costs approximately?
Old 29th August 2009, 21:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
what is the maintenance intervval for Xylo? 5k kms? how much this 5k km visit costs approximately?
The 15k Service should cost you around 5000 and 5K should cvost you about Rs. 500
Old 3rd September 2009, 20:45   #21
BHPian

Does anyone know when the face lifted Sumo Grande is coming.
I am waiting to see it so that I can choose either Grande or Xylo

Arul
Old 4th September 2009, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Does anyone know when the face lifted Sumo Grande is coming.
I am waiting to see it so that I can choose either Grande or Xylo

Arul
I don't think a Facelifted Sumo Grande is expected anytime soon as its not even been 1 yr since it has been launched.
Old 4th September 2009, 18:35   #23
BHPian

The Sumo Grande was my first preference when I was out to buy a car. However a test drive changed my mind about it. I really liked the looks, however the interiors were very cheap quality plastic. The body roll was also an issue.
I understand that you live in Oz. let me tell you that since it's launch last october I have only seen a few grande's on the road. If you like tata vehicles, then by all means consider the Safari. After I was disppointed with the Grande I tried the safari. However the turning radius was too long. If you're gonna drive it in Mumbai then that means getting stuck while making u turns and narrow parking spaces.
Then I tried the Scorpio and it was love at first ride!!! Some advantages of a Scorp:

1. Great Looks
2. Powerful and peppy
3. relatively better handling and maneouverability
4. Short turning radius which is great for those quick u turns
5. fantastic air conditioing
6. Low maintenance as compared to Tata vehicles (according to many mechanics and owners that I consulted)
7. Good resale value

Disadvantages:
1. It's a little short on leg room for me( Im 6.2)
2. It's very popular with thieves

I would however recommend that you test drive all the vehicles yourself after you come to India and see what you're most comfortable with.

I saw a mahindra dealership in NSW. Perhaps you could test drive a Scorpio in Oz itself.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Yesterday night I got a call from Tata Motors sales team. They were following up on one of my requests for a test drive of Sumo Grande at the Concorde motors which by the way never materialized and I managed one from VST Motors a few months back. She wanted to know why I did not buy the vehicle and I patiently explained to her about poor interiors, handling, etc. She responded saying that these issues are being addressed and the dealers have been informed that by the middle of October the new version of the vehicle will be released. So I have decided wait for a few weeks more before I book any car. But having said that, I do not expect any miracles to happen to Sumo Grande
Old 8th September 2009, 09:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Yesterday night I got a call from Tata Motors sales team. They were following up on one of my requests for a test drive of Sumo Grande at the Concorde motors which by the way never materialized and I managed one from VST Motors a few months back. She wanted to know why I did not buy the vehicle and I patiently explained to her about poor interiors, handling, etc. She responded saying that these issues are being addressed and the dealers have been informed that by the middle of October the new version of the vehicle will be released. So I have decided wait for a few weeks more before I book any car. But having said that, I do not expect any miracles to happen to Sumo Grande
its good to know that tata is bothered to rectify the shortcomings of the vehicle.
given that the new version is being launched, its a wise decision to wait & watch, who knows...
Old 12th September 2009, 17:42   #26

i contacted some of the TATA dealers in kerala last week. they told that the new Grande is expected only in 2010!!!!
how is Tavera? what about its build quality? hearing about Tata Sumo Grande's build quality i am little bit worried now. i think even victa will be a better option than grande since it is in the market for more than 15 years and refined over years.
can someone comment about Tavera?
Old 12th September 2009, 19:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

avoid the tavera my friend. i have worked in GM & tavera is a pretty reliable vehicle & very fuel efficient too. but its just too boring. all it can do is take you from point A to point B in an economical & fuss free way.

i would rather buy a grande than the tavera & face some minor issues, if they arise!

that said, in this price range, xylo is the best bet. only if its looked better.
Old 13th September 2009, 17:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoot View Post
i contacted some of the TATA dealers in kerala last week. they told that the new Grande is expected only in 2010!!!!
how is Tavera? what about its build quality? hearing about Tata Sumo Grande's build quality i am little bit worried now. i think even victa will be a better option than grande since it is in the market for more than 15 years and refined over years.
can someone comment about Tavera?
Tavera's build is good - both body & interiors. It is a tested & proven design - but quite an old design. I think late 80s was when the Isuzu Panther (Tavera in India) was first launched in Indonesia.

I haven't heard about any issues with the Tavera. I guess it is a trouble-free vehicle. But IMO, it is a little under-powered with only 80PS under the hood, and the engine itself is out-dated. Looking at the whole package, I cannot help but feel that it is overpriced too (Rs 9.4 lakhs for the Neo-SS).

Have a test drive and decide for yourself. Also have a look at the Xylo.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2009, 13:51   #29
BHPian

We have read n number of reviews over looks of Grande. But I did not find a single review which gave an idea over build quality of Grande . All that we hear is bad plastics etc , but nothing which says how it behaves over bad road or long distance comfort . In fact there is nobody who written a travelogue on a Grande. Seriously guys is it such a bad long-distance runner as compared to older versions of the Sumo.

If anybody has come across such thread , I would appreciate the link.

--Vikrant
Old 9th December 2009, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

If you go to the Sumo Grande website. They have links to all the reviews in the Auto journals. The Grande is definitely far superior to the Sumo Victa. But for what ever reason it has failed to take off. I don't think it is just the plastics or the looks. Xylo isn't the best looker but I see many of them on the roads. Grande's are a rare sight in Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks