Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 17:14   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Vlx or Bolero Vlx

Hello All,

After waiting for my First SUV/MUV, things have boiled down to this...

1. Scorpo Vlx Mhawk.
2. Bolero Vlx Crde.

I Travel 40 km a day .

and weekend and holidays hit a Hill stations , Beaches , with a min oneway distance of 300 to 500km ..

Which one should i go for ?

Heard lot of praises about Bolero Vlx Crde , and since there was a issue for the Pillion travellers being tossed up and down , my friend suggested me to fit Bilstein Shocks in the back for the Bolero Vlx for a smoother ride ..

is it worth ? or shall i give in to the temptations of a Mhawk !!

Regds
Raghu.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well you have asked a million dollar question and everybody will have their opinion. You can refer to my ownership thread at the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...vlx-india.html

but the what is it that you are looking for?

Positives of the Bolero
  1. Awesome Pick up and go anywhere attitude
  2. Point and Shoot vehicle in city traffic
  3. Improved NVH
  4. Rear Leaf gives it a capability to be used
Cons:
  1. Rear Space is nothing to write home about.
  2. Creature comforts absent and nowhere at par with Scorpio.
So if you have a family of 4 adults then Bolero might not be for you, but then there is 1 lac difference between the VLX and MHawk LX variant.

But remember on the highway the Bolero is pretty quick and can hold on its own ( I did 92 Kms in 47 Mins). Oh and not to forget that the maintenance costs for both are similar.

P.S: Forgot to add this one, the VLX comes with Scorpio front suspension, Scorpio gearbox and Drive shaft and Scorpio Voice Assist system.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 1st October 2009 at 17:43.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Vraghuz,

Your budget seems to be pretty flexible. Go for Scorpio VLX. Both the products are simply not comparable. Bolero Vlx is for people on tight budget but need performance of an SUV and ruggedness of a jeep.

Scorpio is definately superior product. If budget permits go for it. I see a wandrer in you. 4wd in Scorpio vlx will help you reaching closer to beach shore, reach top of that mountain which you would just stare at with Bolero vlx.

Rear suspension wise both vehicle are equally bouncy. Scorpio has more legroom, headroom and has better NVH characterstics. A big plus is that it uses 2.2 Mhawk engine which is next generation to that of used in Bolero Vlx.

If budget no constraint go for Scorpio!
Old 1st October 2009, 17:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There is simply no comparison between these vehicles, If you have the budget do not think about Bolero rather buy a Scorpio Lx. Scorpio is infinitely better than a Bolero, Bolero is only better in Pricing but i think VLX is a bad value for money.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:13   #5
BHPian

Do yourself a big favour and buy a Scorpio! The only reason I'm stuck with a Bolero VLX is that it was bought for me by my in-laws. Believe me, I yearn for a Scorpio whenever I see one! Why go through the hassles of fitting Bilsteins, rocket boosters and the like onto a Bolero when you can get a good ready-made package like the Scorpio?

Last edited by MudMover : 1st October 2009 at 18:15.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

M&M experts have already responded only one point

If you are considering 4X2 go for Scropio LX but if it 4X4 then Bolero 4X4 is the only thing which you can easily purchase. Other option for 4X4 SUV is looking towards competition at much higher budget.

Scorpio 4X4 is a mirage and is available with older engine.
Various people have reported that Scorpio 4X4 is available in mHwack AT ( highest trim) which doubles the budget but no confirmation of availability.

mHwack Scorpio 4X4 is more difficult to spot then Bigfoot , Yeti ( Himalyan Variety) and Loch Ness monster as of now, no offense meant to anyone

PS : Your usage pattern seems to be same as mine you may think 4X4 is not required so please go through TSK1979's travelogue to find why you would feel after 1 year that you should have purchased a 4X4 SUV (not an open jeep)

I purchased 4X2 and sometimes strongly feel need of 4X4 , Editing to write this so that you can't say later no one informed you.

Last edited by amitk26 : 1st October 2009 at 18:24.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Scorpio 4X4 is a mirage and is available with older engine.
Various people have reported that Scorpio 4X4 is available in mHwack AT ( highest trim) which doubles the budget but no confirmation of availability.

mHwack Scorpio 4X4 is more difficult to spot then Bigfoot , Yeti ( Himalyan Variety) and Loch Ness monster as of now, no offense meant to anyone
I just learnt that the Scorpio MHawk 4X4 has just been launched with 10.2 Exshowroom. Info was given by MM dealer in Mandi.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:43   #8
BHPian

Yes the mhawk scorpio is available in 4X4.The VLX infact.But has around 2 months waiting.You can check out the prices on their website.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

No sir its not that hard to spot I jus Spotted one at the Dhaula kuan intersection in Delhi today with temp No. plates and the 4WD logo at the back in the VLX Mhawk trim, Wasnt able to take a snap as that is a very busy intersection with metro construction an all!
Old 1st October 2009, 21:33   #10

I would go for the Scorpio, its so much more refined yet still rugged.

On another note, are there any comparisons out there re. servicing costs, Scorpio vs. Bolero (non-VLX)? Are they about the same, or is Scorpio really more expensive to maintain?

(p.s. Scorpio owner here)
Old 1st October 2009, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafer View Post
I would go for the Scorpio, its so much more refined yet still rugged.

On another note, are there any comparisons out there re. servicing costs, Scorpio vs. Bolero (non-VLX)? Are they about the same, or is Scorpio really more expensive to maintain?

(p.s. Scorpio owner here)
A DI Turbo engine is cheaper to maintain than CRDE
E.g. Diesel Filter for CRDe (both Bolero and Scorpio) is about 1700 but for DI turbo is for 170 Odd.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

For Scorpio the oil change service is at every 15k and Cost is very reasonable for 10lakh+ rupee car (if you ask the service advisor to skip the engine flushing, decarbonising, Underbody coats, wiring lamination and all those extra jobs not recommended by Mahindra).

Let me warn you, do not expect the service support quality to be as even close to Maruti, Hyundai and Honda. In delhi ncr its PATHETIC and very unprofessional.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go for the scorpio. The bolero is waay past its prime, and is a crude excuse for a passenger vehicle. If your budget is limited, look at models such as the scorpio SLE.
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:09   #14
BHPian

Thank You very much all, today i went to India Garage and enquired about the MHawk 2.3 4x4 and the guy says it's not available , he showed the fully loaded VLX which was around 11L .. and the STORM was around 7.7...

Now im confused , is there any chance that the 2.2 4x4 getting released soon ?

Regds
Raghu.
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Thank You very much all, today i went to India Garage and enquired about the MHawk 2.3 4x4 and the guy says it's not available , he showed the fully loaded VLX which was around 11L .. and the STORM was around 7.7...

Now im confused , is there any chance that the 2.2 4x4 getting released soon ?

Regds
Raghu.
The 2.2 4X4 has been launched. Call up the MM regional office and get correct uptodate info.

Most Viewed