Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 05:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is a 4WD Safari LX possible?

BHPians,

I’m looking forward for an upgrade from my PalioD. I’m looking for one of the Safari variants. My budget fits the LX well.
I’m not a big fan of all the cosmetics that EX has got. However, Tata doesn’t provide an LX with 4WD. So, if you want to go for 4WD (which I guess I will be paying 90K extra), I will have to go for EX version where I will be paying 1.2L extra just for some cosmetic features (very few, one or two of them are really worth going for, like a height adjustable seat or rear AC vents) which I can live without.

Some of the reasons I may think about this upgrade.
  • Good time to upgrade from a hatch to an SUV
  • More comfort on long drives (I have observed that I’m not using my car in city a lot, tend to use it for long drives frequently)
  • I will have an option to move from loan to lease (I have another one year of loan pending on this existing car – lease for the next car would definitely be bit beneficial)
One Major disadvantage is, I may not get the real worth for excellent car i own now due to terrible resale – Once, I also thought I will not sale my Palio, but keeping two cars (elephants!) is certainly not a requirement now.

I don’t know whether I’m really going to use the 4WD feature; I may not use it for almost 95% of the time. However, I thought that 90K for extra 130KG of assembly will be worth going for, I was following this Gurkha TD report from Samurai and was also inspired by one of my friends in JeepThrills a couple of years back, but finally had to give up as I realized that I’m not going to use the vehicle only for off-roading and need something that may serve the purpose during those rare situations.

As I said, its really getting difficult for me to pay 1.2L (premium for EX) + 90K (4WD) when I attempt this upgrade, I’m looking for an option if I can request for a custom made where Tata can give me a 4WD on an LX. Do you guys think it’s possible? If so, please provide me proper contact details whom I can get in touch with in Tata.
I understand that after-market 4WD on an LX (even if TASC does) is not an option at all – can someone confirm this please? I may just stop thinking about the upgrade and continue to enjoy my existing vehicle if situations donot favor, but I thought I will give this a try.

If I’m not going to get the LX 4WD, what are my options? Just wait and save some money? I believe by that time my Palio will depreciate further and I may not get what this wonderful vehicle is worth for (which I may not get even today)
Thanks
Old 20th October 2009, 10:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Safari 4wd is only available from ex variants onwards. Since you are not sure about your 4wd usage why dont you try out the 2wd lx variant?
Old 20th October 2009, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ketan,

As far as the custom built 4WD LX is concerned, I would still give you the same response as I did earlier and also wish you the best of luck!

Good to know that you have dropped the idea of getting a retro-fit done at the TASS. Definitely the wrong idea.

From your note, I am not sure if 4WD is a must-have for you. You have said it yourself. So, why break your head over it. If your budget is for a 2WD, then go for it. The 2WD is also a capable machine, provided you know its limits. Check out ADC's threads and you will know what all can be done. But if you feel that you will more than that, then look at the 4WD.

My 2 paise.

But bottom line - custom built from TATA - no way! (Heck, even regular variant orders need following up!!!)
Old 20th October 2009, 10:19   #4
BANNED

In theory, it is possible to convert a 2WD to a 4WD but it involves a lot of technical expertise, experience and yes, a certain amount of luck in your favor as well to get things going.
If you feel you can take this risk, then the first step is to find out a good garage, I do not think TASS can do it, at least in Bangalore. You would also risk losing your warranty due to the modification.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:58   #5
BHPian

if i remember it right 4wd was available in LX till the 3.0L dicor and then was discontinued for LX when 2.2L was launched...

Are you considering a used one by any chance then you may get lucky, else I guess u wont get LX 4WD in 2.2 either from Tata or Outside..:-)
Old 20th October 2009, 12:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I too stongly feel that Tata should offer 4X4 in the LX option as many people may need a no nonsense 4x4 without all the fancy electronics !
Old 20th October 2009, 13:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you do not want 4x4, go for LX, but if 4x4 is a must for you, go for the Xenon, it will be within your budget
Old 20th October 2009, 19:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, thats true. I dont know when I'm going to get an opportunity to use 4WD. However, looking at the type of vehicle I'm going for, some of the travelogues I went thru (including yours Tanveer - to leh), I just dont want to be a part of category where lots of people are regreting that why the did not go for 4WD, in fact I read some of those LX or 3.0L owners are panning an upgrade to 4WD soon after they realized that they could have put it to a better use.

Going to search for more information on Xenon now, let me know if you have any pointers. I shall move forward with my TD for LX soon and work out finance options on EX 4WD again to see how far/close to my reach it is.

Edit: Just saw that Xenon is a kind of pickup truck. I dont want to carry stuff which I'm not going to use or dont want to spend on. Thats the reason trying to avoid paying for cosmetics on EX version.

Last edited by Ketan : 20th October 2009 at 19:16.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:41   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is correct
both Mahindra and Tata would do well to offer the 4x4 version in the LX trim levels - it is certainly not all of us who want the electronics and other fiddlybits that come with the higher variants - because for the most part they are largely 1: cosmetic and 2: useless.
a good no nonsense 4x4 in LX with Airbags and ABS would be more than enough and for this, they could call it an LX + or something and price it accordingly. I would surely buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I too stongly feel that Tata should offer 4X4 in the LX option as many people may need a no nonsense 4x4 without all the fancy electronics !
Old 20th October 2009, 22:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

+ 1 to Shankar.

But I will be very upset if they launch a 4x4 LX for the price of EX like many others!
Eh, wont one get Scorpio 4x4 at this price or so?
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:37   #11
BHPian

Ketan, I had a word with one of the dealers in Bangalore last week. He did mention that he has a 2008 model 2.2 VTT LX 4x4.

Last edited by wmanu : 22nd October 2009 at 14:50.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Ketan, I had a word with one of the dealers in Bangalore last week. He did mention that he has a 2008 model 2.2 VTT LX 4x4.
How can that be possible? I thought Tata did not make any LX 4x4 variants! I smell a rat here! Was it Concorde or Prerana?
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

2008 Model 2.2 VTT LX 4x4???

Wow! Guess this should be one of its kind!

Some one at the dealers is confused.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

I'm like, Wow! and confused too!
Was that a custom made?
Can you please give me the contact details for this dealer?
Old 22nd October 2009, 18:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, you still believe sales reps in dealers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks