Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 22:30   #1
BHPian

Planning : Scorpio AT with Airbags

My requirements

1. AT
2. Should be able to accommodate minimum 5-6 adults and 2 kids.
3. Less than 12L
4. Ground Clearance
5. Driver Legroom

Initial Candidates

Innova
Scorpio
Safari

Initially AT was not 1st on my requirements, but after riding my bike in chennai traffic decided it should be AT. So decided against Innova and Safari. Otherwise most likely I would have selected Innova. Of course I never driven any geared cars, only during driving classes and miserably failed at RTO and still got it for Rs. 100 extra :-)

Had driven Dodge Grand Caravan for 4 years in US.

Did Scorpio TD two times. One alone and one with family and firmed up the choice. By the time I decided it was October and was told by Dealer that it will take at least 5 weeks to get delivery which would be middle of November. Since the scorpio would be one year older in just a month and half, I was bit hesitant and told my Dealer. Kept my option in case I will get big discounts during year end to match the depreciation.

Fortunately they released another refresh model with 6 new features. Called my dealer again and asked him for 2010 model. He told me to book it on beginning of December and would get delivery first week of Jan.

Is he right ? I did some search and found that it might take February to deplete the 2009 stocks.

Will keep the post updated as and when I progress.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice choice buddy.

you can anytime request to check the man. date by going to the dealer's godown before registering the vehicle in your name.

do update us on the results.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

@carbhp:

I drive a Santro Automatic in Chennai and I can tell you that you will absolutely appreciate an automatic.

The Scorpio AT is probably the best/only choice in that price range if you want an people mover with AT. It may have some drawbacks if you plan to do some high-speed maneuvers in the highway, but as an urban SUV, nothing can beat it. So if majority of your driving is in the city with weekend getways, this is the perfect SUV in the price range.

When you sell a used SUV, most people go by the registration date and the manufacturing date. And unless Mahindra is planning to surprise us with some additional features, I think it is fine to book first week of december with a Jan delivery. The vehicles made in Dec and Jan will be identical so besides a phsycological concern what is the big deal is if the same spec vehicle is made in Dec 2009/Jan 2010 if both can be registered in 2010?
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
My requirements

Is he right ? I did some search and found that it might take February to deplete the 2009 stocks.

Good choice about the AT. I think if we had only AT vehicles in India, we would have much lesser road rage.

To be on the safe side, you should order in Jan specifically requesting for 2010 production vehicle in your order form. Scorp AT is not a high volume product so dealers usually don't keep a lot of inventory of AT.

I am assuming that you are buying the model with Airbags.
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:57   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My requirements

1. AT
3. Less than 12L
4. Ground Clearance
5. Driver Legroom
Good choice with the Scorpio AT! It meets your requirements to the "T", except point no. 5. I find the Scorpio's interiors surprisingly compact relative to its exterior dimensions. Anyone over 5'10" will inevitably feel that driver room is a little tight. Not a deal breaker, but in no ways is the Scorpio a very spacious SUV.

Either ways, its your only option if you want an AT people mover. Congrats!
Old 24th November 2009, 16:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
nice choice buddy.

you can anytime request to check the man. date by going to the dealer's godown before registering the vehicle in your name.

do update us on the results.
Thanks Raj, will do that. He may have misunderstood and assumed I want the vehicle in 2010 not 2010 manufactured one. Will call him and confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@carbhp:

When you sell a used SUV, most people go by the registration date and the manufacturing date. And unless Mahindra is planning to surprise us with some additional features, I think it is fine to book first week of december with a Jan delivery. The vehicles made in Dec and Jan will be identical so besides a phsycological concern what is the big deal is if the same spec vehicle is made in Dec 2009/Jan 2010 if both can be registered in 2010?
If I am planning to sell, the buyer would think that the vehicle 2009, not 2010. So they may depreciate the vehicle one more year where as it was not the case. Of course if I can get a huge discount like 30K or something, then I don't care. I am planning to drive the vehicle till it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good choice with the Scorpio AT! It meets your requirements to the "T", except point no. 5. I find the Scorpio's interiors surprisingly compact relative to its exterior dimensions. Anyone over 5'10" will inevitably feel that driver room is a little tight. Not a deal breaker, but in no ways is the Scorpio a very spacious SUV.

Either ways, its your only option if you want an AT people mover. Congrats!
True, I agree. I am 6' 3" that is why I wanted an SUV with good ground clearance and leg room. When I TD, I was not able to comfortably get in and out as I used to in my Grand Caravan. But for my budget and requirements, I had to go for that. And I know that the 3rd row legroom not that great, mostly my kids will sit there in their car seats.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th November 2009 at 16:36. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 30th November 2009, 22:25   #7
BHPian

The third row is a misery in Scorpio , Innova , and in most of the vehicles expect for Xylo & Endeavor .

I do agree that Scorpio though looks big from the exterior ,does not have the best interiors
Old 30th November 2009, 22:32   #8
BHPian

as far as i know , endeavor has below average third row. innova is better.
Old 1st December 2009, 08:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

i feel xylo has the best third row followed by the innova. even the endy is cramped & very uncomfortable in the 3rd row.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Innova has a better third row seat than others. Not sure about Xylo.
Rule out the Endy for the middle row comfort. God know abt third row
Old 9th December 2009, 17:15   #11
BHPian

I have test driven the Scorpio AT and i was very impressed with the Auto transmission. It gels well with the mHawk. i guess it is a 6 speed AT.

the interiors are ok and have some nice features. if u go for the 2+2+3 seat, the 3rd row is not too bad.

but the driving height it gives you is a pleasure.(especially for me, since i drive a baleno which is quite low)
Old 9th December 2009, 17:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

"carbhp" what is the status now. Everyone are talking on innova and endy in scorpio thread. So give us the status before this thread goes to some other car/suv.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choice, Scorpio is the only UV in this price range to come with AT, it also meets all you requirements. The only issue i have seen with Scorpio is the ride may become bouncy at times.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

@carbhp: Thats a good choice. I do agree with you that the driving position in Scorpio is not one of the most comfortable but then it does its job well.

BTW what is the status? Are you getting it home this month or next month?
Old 7th January 2010, 02:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My requirements

1. AT
3. Less than 12L
4. Ground Clearance
5. Driver Legroom

Carbhp, Have you taken delivery of the Scorpio Automatic? Would like your feedback on whether you find it bouncy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks