Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 06:10   #1

Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help

Hey guys, I am planning on changing my Mercedes GL 450 in for something a little smaller... right now my options are between the 2010 Mercedes ML 350 and the 2010 Acura MDX.

Any opinions will be highly appreciated... just keep in mind where I am residing the prices for both will turn out roughly the same, so price is not really a factor.
I know a Benz is a Benz, but the interior of the ML is exactly the same as that of the GL, hardly any difference at all, and since I have been driving one for 3 years (not to mention the older ML before that), I was looking for a change. However the new ML does look a lot sportier.

So should I risk it and go for a change or stick with the tried and tested? Please help!!

Pics below... what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help-mercedes2009ml350.jpg  

Mercedes ML350 or Acura MDX? Need help-2010_acura_mdx_press_011.jpg  

Old 4th December 2009, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

I really loved Acura's, especially the TL and MDZ, but the new design philosophy or whatever, of sticking a slab of chrome across the grill has really pissed me off. The cars look butt ugly now, and expecially the TL's ruined. So looks wise, no beating the ML. I guess you're going to have to factor in the reliability and cost of ownership etc. Since you previously owned a GL I doubt you'll have a problem with Mercedes or the ML. I vote for the ML !!
Old 4th December 2009, 10:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Am not sure whether a new ML is in the pipeline
Old 5th December 2009, 19:21   #4
BHPian

Are you considering the RDX also? or is it too small for your requirement? I feel that the MDX is under powered. Too heavy for the engine. I have not driven the 2010 though. My vote would be to go for ML out of the two.

The other option that you might want to consider is Lexus RX 350 or 450. But again this might also be small for your need.

If provide some more inputs on how much space you are looking for I think you will get better inputs.
Old 5th December 2009, 22:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Having owned a ML320 and dealt with Mercedes quality issues, I suggest go for the MDX.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

I was not impressed by the 2008 MDX. Hard ride, pathetic fuel efficiency, all it had going for it was lot of gizmos at that price.

Things may have changed in 2010, but I say go with your heart, so you will not be disappointed.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

if i am not wrong, MDX comes with 3 rows of seat while ML comes with 2 rows to seat 7 and 5 respectively. if capacity is important go for MDX.

Personally, i don't like looks of MDX. Prefer ML's elegance. Also performance of ML is better compared to MDX. And status quo for Mercedes is any day better than Acura. 2010 ML has higher grade interior than MDX.

I would vote for ML 350.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Are you considering the RDX also? or is it too small for your requirement? I feel that the MDX is under powered. Too heavy for the engine. I have not driven the 2010 though. My vote would be to go for ML out of the two.

The other option that you might want to consider is Lexus RX 350 or 450. But again this might also be small for your need.

If provide some more inputs on how much space you are looking for I think you will get better inputs.
Hmmm yeah the RDX is a little too small for my taste. Was looking for a smallish SUV instead of a crossover-type vehicle. I currently have a GL which is 7 seats and huge, whereas the MDX is also 7 seater but after opening up the 3rd row seating the trunk space is nonexistent. So that's a minus. I am ok with the 5 seating capacity and decent trunk space of the ML however

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I was not impressed by the 2008 MDX. Hard ride, pathetic fuel efficiency, all it had going for it was lot of gizmos at that price.

Things may have changed in 2010, but I say go with your heart, so you will not be disappointed.
Yeah a lot of options that are available for the ML come standard with the MDX liek leather seats, rear-view camera, blind-spot detection, etc.. but I don't have the experience of driving an MDX, so as u said I dont know much about the ride. The ML's ride is far from luxurious but decent nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
if i am not wrong, MDX comes with 3 rows of seat while ML comes with 2 rows to seat 7 and 5 respectively. if capacity is important go for MDX.

Personally, i don't like looks of MDX. Prefer ML's elegance. Also performance of ML is better compared to MDX. And status quo for Mercedes is any day better than Acura. 2010 ML has higher grade interior than MDX.

I would vote for ML 350.
Yep you are correct But I have seen the 3rd row seats inthe MDX, and they are more suited for children than adults...very cramped with regards to leg space, and as I mentioned above, once you open up the 3rd row there goes the trunk space. But the option of a third row is at least there...in the new ML it's not. The old ML I had driven had the same option, but again I hardly used the 3rd row seats because they are not at all comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I really loved Acura's, especially the TL and MDZ, but the new design philosophy or whatever, of sticking a slab of chrome across the grill has really pissed me off. The cars look butt ugly now, and expecially the TL's ruined. So looks wise, no beating the ML. I guess you're going to have to factor in the reliability and cost of ownership etc. Since you previously owned a GL I doubt you'll have a problem with Mercedes or the ML. I vote for the ML !!
Yeah I hate the front of all the vehicles too... they all look the same. But i'll have to disagree with u about the TL. Are you talking about the latest 2010 model? Coz I think it looks pretty mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am not sure whether a new ML is in the pipeline
I am not sure either, I was talking about the 2010 ML which is already out. Will have to wait a while before they redo it I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Having owned a ML320 and dealt with Mercedes quality issues, I suggest go for the MDX.
Thanks for the input. I had no problems with my old ML, but the GL gave me a lot of grief with its transmission, however M-B service was great. It is to be expected when a new model comes out...I should have probably held off but I got it when it was brand new, which is always risky.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by bblost : 8th December 2009 at 11:58. Reason: back 2 back posts, please use multi quote instead.
Old 10th December 2009, 05:05   #9
BHPian

Thats what I though

Have you considered BMW X5? The 4.8 rides really really cool. I know technically it is still a cross over but I think it pulls its weight on a being a full bloodied SUV.

If the Germans wont do it for you then how about thinking American, Chevy traverse for example or Buick Enclave if you need the Tag.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Thats what I though

Have you considered BMW X5? The 4.8 rides really really cool. I know technically it is still a cross over but I think it pulls its weight on a being a full bloodied SUV.

If the Germans wont do it for you then how about thinking American, Chevy traverse for example or Buick Enclave if you need the Tag.
I love beemers but not their SUV's :-) I don't know, the design just doesn't go down well with me. I considered the Caddy Escadalade actually, but then again it's another gas guzzler like my GL, and I thought of downsizing this time.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Liked the Acura, but there seem to not much of a difference in ML. Any thought of Cayenne with its lovely interiors.
Old 15th December 2009, 07:37   #12
BHPian

How about the Range Rover? Have you thought about it? The super charged Range Rover Sport is cool. It has the image and the power and drives well.

What is the max budget?
Old 18th December 2009, 21:42   #13

Thanks for the input guys. Booked the 2010 ML 350 yesterday. Black with black interiors and P1 package, lighting package, & running boards. Sadly they didn't have all the options I wanted with the wheel package, so will have to do something about the wheels myself. Should get the car sometime next week.

Ramsagar and Balilee Jatt Boy: I would loooove a Cayenne or Ranger Rover, but my budget won't allow it since I just splurged on a E-class recently. Maybe next time :-)
Old 8th January 2010, 00:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickx View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Booked the 2010 ML 350 yesterday. Black with black interiors and P1 package, lighting package, & running boards. Sadly they didn't have all the options I wanted with the wheel package, so will have to do something about the wheels myself. Should get the car sometime next week.

Ramsagar and Balilee Jatt Boy: I would loooove a Cayenne or Ranger Rover, but my budget won't allow it since I just splurged on a E-class recently. Maybe next time :-)
Congratulations Ickx! I hope you will enjoy your new ML 350. However I feel sad that you are letting go your GL. Was it a 2007 model? What's your personal experience about GL on a whole. I know you mentioned transmission problems and Gas guzzling. I'm considering 2010 GL450 for my next big SUV purchase. Also shortlisted are Audi Q7 and Escalade. Your input is highly appreciated.
Old 8th January 2010, 01:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ML. Please do post a detailed ownership experience and some pics of your GL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks