Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 08:43   #1
BHPian

Out goes the City & back to Confusion :(

Hey Guys,

I'm back to the same shape I was 4 years ago, when I was planning my first car. A lot of you guys helped me then and I'm banking on the same now. Let me first talk briefly about the outgoing car and it's experiences.

City ZX Vtec (March 06)
This was a wonderful car to drive in the city. Pretty good interiors, then for 8L(ex-showroom), I did not find any competitor then. With the VTEC engine option provided, I simply did not have any option not to consider it. Till now, after having driven for 64K kms, I did not have a single problem with the car. I would say it was simply a maintenance free car other than the regular servicing that was done. I got FE figures of 13.
The negatives I felt was the stability and the steering at high speeds. Above 110, the car feels really light and the steering feedback is very minimal which is not expected for the car of this range. With 3 people at the back, it will scrape all the speed breakers in bangalore. Other than this I did not have any complaints.

I really did not have a great selling experience with the car. Couple of guys how paid an advance did not pick up the car. In the process, I waited for 2 months and this was annoying. Thanks to the thread from GTO (how to sell used car), this helped me as well. Finally sold it and bid good bye for the car which took care of me and my family for all these years. The reason I had to sell the car was I need to go for the new car as I will get benefits from the company if I do so.

Now to the confusion

As I said, I'm looking for the car from past two months, Nov 09 I would say, and have been reading reviews about the cars and also waited for the Auto expo to happen etc etc. Now the pre-requisites for me for the new car are

1. Diesel would be preferable but petrol can be considered as an exception
2. Budget, as much as 10L ex-showroom Bangalore
3. Good safety features
4. Consider it to be used 50% in the city and 50% for the long drives
5. Though I like performance, I'll be happy if it has a decent performance figures
6. I would keep this car for the next 4 years (to be precise 44 months)
7. Car would be maintained by the company

I recently (Jan 10) bought an alto Xcite for my wife and I would be using it as well for driving in the city when she's not using it, but otherwise, she would be using it for 90%. So, you can discount the new car to not be driven in the city very frequently.

So, the cars that I've listed in the order of preference

1. Innova (GX version) :- I pretty much would want to pick it up except for it's price tag. During december, it was 9.57 ex-showroom and was getting 40k cash discount, but now the ex-showroom is 9.77 and only 20K cash discount. I know the vehicle is good for it's reliability, quality etc etc, but not sure if it's worth that much when compared to Xylo.
2. Xylo (E8 with Airbags) :- This actually fits very well except for it's looks. The E8 version with Aribags costs me 8.34 ex-showroom, and it has all the space in it. I'm 6ft tall, and I was pretty much comfortable in the 3rd row as well. Currently I might get an offer of 34k (insurance, corp disc, maintenance etc), so I would end up picking up fully loaded model for 8L. I think it's the best VFM, but need all those guys who own it to comment.
3. Linea T-Jet :- This would be an option to consider as I'm tilted towards this car coz of it's looks, suspension, ride quality etc. But I doubt the car would be lanuched anytime soon.

Yes, I would be driving my new car to office may be once or twice a week. It's around 30kms one way (Banashankari to Whitefield), but I would be using the Volvo's, as I feel it's more comfortable to take a bus than driving yourself.

Additionally, I'm willing to wait for another 4 weeks or so to see if there are any better offers that come by (on Innova) or if there are any car launches etc. (One of the site says, the mHawk engine fitted Xylo would be released in Feb 2010).
So now it's up to you guys to help me out. Feel free to suggest as always.

Cheers,
Laxminarayan
Old 29th January 2010, 08:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not the New Honda City Arrow shaped one with Automatic and Paddle Shifts?

Since you are a Honda fan, it should not disappoint you.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) Petrol cars :
Maruti SX4
G3HC, i.e. ANHC.
Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia
Fiesta is good to drive, but you will less space than G2HC you have.

2) Diesel cars :
Hyundai Verna
Toyota Innova

If you are looking forward to petrol cars, SX4 is more practical buy. Next comes in G3HC. Much improved in handling than G2HC. Cedia is one of the best drivers' car.

If you want diesel then you have Verna and Innova. Fiesta again will have less space than your current car.
I would suggest you Innova as its more practical and has good space. Verna does not ride really well nor does it handle in the league of SX4/G3HC.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMO, go for Xylo & especially when you're opting for E8 with Airbags is worth the money & yes, pls wait for the mHawk engine & you'll not be disappointed. However, if Xylo mHawk is going to be with a price tag of 9L, then its worth going in for Innova or Scorpio.

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2010 at 09:11. Reason: Add more contents
Old 29th January 2010, 09:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why not the New Honda City Arrow shaped one with Automatic and Paddle Shifts?

Since you are a Honda fan, it should not disappoint you.
I'm thinking of not honda again, ofcourse it will not disappoint, but will not keep it for long (only 4 years) and will have to go through the selling thing again. The GC is again a problem, not that I want to do offroading, but with 3 people at the back, it will definitely scrape the speed breakers.

Additionally, the EPS and the high speed stability is still not out of my mind.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
IMO, go for Xylo & especially when you're opting for E8 with Airbags is worth the money & yes, pls wait for the mHawk engine & you'll not be disappointed. However, if Xylo mHawk is going to be with a price tag of 9L, then its worth going in for Innova or Scorpio.
Thanks, this what my head says, I'm willing to wait, let me see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Petrol cars :
Maruti SX4
G3HC, i.e. ANHC.
Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia

2) Diesel cars :
Hyundai Verna
Toyota Innova

If you are looking forward to petrol cars, SX4 is more practical buy. Next comes in G3HC. Much improved in handling than G2HC. Cedia is one of the best drivers' car.

If you want diesel then you have Verna and Innova. Fiesta again will have less space than your current car.
I would suggest you Innova as its more practical and has good space. Verna does not ride really well nor does it handle in the league of SX4/G3HC.
Thanks aggoswami, it's between the heart and the head, i.e., Innova and Xylo. Innova is ofcourse a logical choice, but doen't score the the VFM segment compared to XYLO (around 3L difference) and I doubt it would command the same premium in the used car market after 4 years. Thanks for your inputs though.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 29th January 2010, 09:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Time to move up. If Altis is a stretch.. then go for the Cedia !!
Old 29th January 2010, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Thanks aggoswami, it's between the heart and the head, i.e., Innova and Xylo. Innova is ofcourse a logical choice, but doen't score the the VFM segment compared to XYLO (around 3L difference) and I doubt it would command the same premium in the used car market after 4 years. Thanks for your inputs though.
I cannot agree with you more because I too am suffering from this confusion. Atleast in your case its between Xylo & Innova, for me it between Scorpio, Innova & Xylo. Last but not the least, Safari wakes me up at midnight & asks me "why not me?". I've decided to keep saving money all the money until the confusions are sorted out (probably I don't have to loan even a single rupee when I buy)

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2010 at 09:26.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Petrol cars :
Maruti SX4
G3HC, i.e. ANHC.
Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia

aaggoswami you are joking right? SX4 and handling haha i can't stop laughing. And you are suggesting the SX4 to someone who is looking at the Innova or the Xylo and who has driven a city. You are a genius why don't you try your hand at Overdirve.?

Go for the XYLO VFM VFM VFM!!
Old 29th January 2010, 11:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Time to move up. If Altis is a stretch.. then go for the Cedia !!
Again, both petrol cars.. not an option for me
Old 29th January 2010, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Optra Magnum 2.0 Diesel.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Optra Magnum 2.0 Diesel.
It's a wonderful car, and I was getting 1L discount in december. But I'm concerned about the resale value and hence did not opt for it.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

stay away from UV's unless you need them(travelling with more than 5 people & luggage)
Cars are much safer and fun to drive as well, in your position i would have bought a Cruze or a Cedia by stretching that wee bit
Old 29th January 2010, 11:40   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
stay away from UV's unless you need them(travelling with more than 5 people & luggage)
Cars are much safer and fun to drive as well, in your position i would have bought a Cruze or a Cedia by stretching that wee bit
I agree with you to a great extent. Also, if you want to buy a UV, I d say go for the new Scorp MHawk SLE with ABS for 9.6 lacs OTR Blore. Reliable, new, safe, economical but yes, like Sheel said, go for an SUV only if you need it because it will not feel, handle, or ride like the City.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I agree with you to a great extent. Also, if you want to buy a UV, I d say go for the new Scorp MHawk SLE with ABS for 9.6 lacs OTR Blore. Reliable, new, safe, economical but yes, like Sheel said, go for an SUV only if you need it because it will not feel, handle, or ride like the City.
Agree with you.. Like I've said, it will be a 50-50 usage. Will like to drive around the villages etc. Had a problem with the city due to it's ground clearance and once in a while rugged roads. Handling should be ok with these UV's as I'm not a performance freak anymore.. Had enough in my city :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks