Team-BHP - Outlander, Captiva or wait for Pajero Sports?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Outlander, Captiva or wait for Pajero Sports? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/78595-outlander-captiva-wait-pajero-sports.html)

Done a search, and have read every thread on these three, but some are pretty old so here goes.

Requirements:
  1. City and some inter city driving - no off roading
  2. 10-12k kms per year
  3. Space inside for 2-3 bicycles [Captiva tested and passed, Outlander yet to test]
  4. Only automatic
  5. Plan to keep for a long time so spares availability and service is more important than resale for me
Outlander:
  1. Petrol
  2. Better sedan like drive
  3. More compact and fits my garage easier but less space inside
  4. No 3rd row [will likely never use either]
  5. Better stereo and more loaded
Drove the Outlander yesterday, and loved it. Just a bit wary about the fuel consumption. They claim 7-8 in the city, but I have a manual Accord 2.4 which gives just 5.5. While if its 7 plus, I'm OK with it but it would be a disaster if I buy it and it gives say 4 kmpl.
Any ideas on the genuine fuel efficiency?

Any ideas on the diesel version launch? The dealer claims its not coming but I saw a auto mag quote somewhere in this thread.

They really should have added the curtain airbags in the Indian version too.

Captiva:
  1. Nice drive though less sedan like than the Outlander.
  2. More space but also larger - duh
  3. Less gizmos and worse stereo
  4. No parking sensors
  5. Torquey engine
  6. Not so good transmission [test drove the MT] but the auto is supposedly much better
  7. Diesel economy sounds good
  8. Like the flat rear deck that it has
Should I wait for
  1. New Captiva supposedly coming in Jun/Jul?
  2. New Pajero Sports coming? When?
  3. Diesel Outlander coming at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 1813074)
Should I wait for
  1. New Captiva supposedly coming in Jun/Jul?
  2. New Pajero Sports coming? When?
  3. Diesel Outlander coming at all?

Welcome back Doc!

Captiva - this most probably will be a facelift, I think
Pajero Sports - Most probably - indo- thai FTA makes pricing viable
Diesel Outlander - possible but it needs to be priced well.

main issue is that HM drag their feet on product launches so we could be dead by the time they finally come out with a new model

Your 2.4 Accord gives 5.5 kmpl? Does your city drive involve lots of starts and stops?

Yes, I have read about Outlander diesel coming to Indian markets too. Don't expect the dealer to agree to that - because that might result in prospective Outlander customers postponing their purchase.

Not looking at Honda CRV? I'm not sure if it will pass your bicycle requirement though. Grand Vitara automatic takes care of your requirement no. 5 very well.

Haven't heard about "new Captiva". But Captiva seems like a good fit - the service levels of Chevrolet are much better now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 1813074)
Drove the Outlander yesterday, and loved it. Just a bit wary about the fuel consumption. They claim 7-8 in the city, but I have a manual Accord 2.4 which gives just 5.5. While if its 7 plus, I'm OK with it but it would be a disaster if I buy it and it gives say 4 kmpl.
Any ideas on the genuine fuel efficiency?

ACI quotes 7.2 kmpl for city driving. Normally ACI figures are accurate and in fact little conservative.

the outlander is a fantastic vehicle and way better than even the overhyped CRV IMO. The Suzuki GV is also a great option if you are not too worried about the lack of snob appeal and slightly low rent interiors. Not sure about the FE and cost of ownership though.

I would recommend the Captiva. Its look more grown up and mature and has the space to match and then there's the diesel economy too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1813125)
Welcome back Doc!

Captiva - this most probably will be a facelift, I think
Pajero Sports - Most probably - indo- thai FTA makes pricing viable
Diesel Outlander - possible but it needs to be priced well.

main issue is that HM drag their feet on product launches so we could be dead by the time they finally come out with a new model

Thanks ajmat. I think the facelift might add some small things like parking sensors etc, but I could get that fitted after market too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 1813137)
Your 2.4 Accord gives 5.5 kmpl? Does your city drive involve lots of starts and stops?

Complete start/stop. I have a Lancer [12 yrs old] which gives 13-14 on highway and 7 in 'my' city conditions

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1813398)
I would recommend the Captiva. Its look more grown up and mature and has the space to match and then there's the diesel economy too.

Thinking of Captiva too.

@howler - Another worry is, if the Captiva does not do too well, they might just stop production like the Terracan and some others. The Outlander 'might' sell even less being a petrol.

Thanks Guna.

I would also recommend you to get the captiva. It's a truly great vehicle with a really healthy 150 bhp engine and with a flurry of gadgets . Its simply the best value for money SUV and you can't go wrong with it.

Doesnt the Endy Automatic fit your bill? It sure seems bigger from outside, has lots of kit and priced reasonably too. And Ford does know a thing or two about off-roading and truck making.

Also look at Scorpio getaway (they do have AT version on Scorpio but not on Getaway) and Tata Xenon.

Of the three, stay away from Pajero Sports. The engine is outdated and runs out of steam fast. While it's one of the best off-roaders in the country, the age doesnt justify the price tag. You cant go wrong with either Outlander or Captiva.

And why not the Fortuner?? Of course you need to wait a bit for its long waiting list!!!

If your accord 2.4 manual gives 5.5 and the lancer gives 7 expect the Outlander to give 4 in the same kind of start stop traffic conditions, the Auto car values are quite accurate, but your traffic conditions and driving style both seem to be tougher for fuel effeciency.

Captiva seems to be your best bet. 7 seats, diesel, parking sensors can be fitted for Rs. 3-4K.

Outlander and Pajero both will not hold value too well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 1824969)
expect the Outlander to give 4 in the same kind of start stop traffic conditions,

You're spot on, there is an ownership thread on the Outlander & it talks about 4.5 in city conditions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1824997)
You're spot on, there is an ownership thread on the Outlander & it talks about 4.5 in city conditions!

I had posted the review on new Outlander...
4.5 KM/L is in heavy trafic and very short (< 5 KM) driving cycles. if the driving range increases to 10+, you can expect a milage closer to 7 KM/L.

In normal trafic conditions in city, I have got 7.5 to 8 KM/L.

Now Comparing All the SUVs in 20L price band...
I had done some extensive research and test drives before I bought the Outlander.

Here is My view point.
If you are looking for refinement, Good onroad handling, Luxury feel, equipment levels and diesel then the only option is Nissan Xtrail (which will put you in to 30L+ for the automatic).

Else the best option is Outlander, if you compare with XTrail, disadvantage would be the Petrol engine and less offroad capabilities.

Then again, I am not going to take my 20L+ car to any seriously rough terrain. Petrol Vs Diesel is a never ending argument, I do not travel morethan 20,000 KM a year; so diesel is a mute point (7 Laks more).

Compared to Captiva, onroad handling of outlander is much better. Chevy dealers are not responsive and they can not give you an automatic for test drive either. what I am hearing and recollecting from auto mag reviews, 5 speed Auto transmission on Captiva is nothing to bost about. Comes really short interms of equipment levels as well.

Now the endy & fortuner are really good offroaders, they lack refinement and good onroad dynamics. No way feels like a luxury car at 20L+ price band.

CRV is just hyped up and you will shell out another 3 to 4 Lakhs for the honda badge and less equipment and ride height.

Grand Vitara does not come anywhere close to other SUVs; its just a waste in Indian market.

so its your call!.
HTH

4.5 kmpl which equates to approximately 10 mpg is a bit too low in my opinion. We arent talking supercars here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1825182)
4.5 kmpl which equates to approximately 10 mpg is a bit too low in my opinion. We arent talking supercars here.

Majority of the time in heavy trafic the car is just idling (with AC).
sample this, in BLR, a 4 KM stretch can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes in peak trafic.