Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 19:03   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Commander 750 DP (99) or MM540 (97)???

Guys, advice required please. I have these 2 vehicles available to me, both are 2WD and both owned by friends and in excellent condition. I will be using it mostly in city with the occasional highway run, rarely OTR. Which is a better vehicle for me? Which do I buy? Also I want to install PS which is the best option? I am a sedan driver n upgrading to jeep to carry my son's cycle and do a bit of outstation holidaying.

Need to decide by the end of the week so need advice ASAP.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:10   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONLORD View Post
Guys, advice required please. I have these 2 vehicles available to me, both are 2WD and both owned by friends and in excellent condition. I will be using it mostly in city with the occasional highway run, rarely OTR. Which is a better vehicle for me? Which do I buy? Also I want to install PS which is the best option? I am a sedan driver n upgrading to jeep to carry my son's cycle and do a bit of outstation holidaying.

Need to decide by the end of the week so need advice ASAP.

i will suggest for MM540.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

A sedan driver may not be able to withstand the ride quality of a Commander, go for a MM540.

Spike
Old 28th July 2010, 19:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Go in for the 540. It has good external mod potential.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys

I know that the 540 has got a lot of mod potential, and it seems from the replies that the ride is better in the 540. What about engine comparison and can I have suggestions for putting PS. Heard of various options, bolero PS, armada Ps, something called Rane etc.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A sedan driver may not be able to withstand the ride quality of a Commander, go for a MM540.

Spike
Doesn't the 750 have a longer wheelbase? It should have a better ride with sufficient load.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:03   #7
BHPian

Yes it does, it is the length of a Bolero. But I will be driving mostly with max 3 members when in city.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since your vehicle is 2WD, best be it so adapt a Sumo/Tatamobile Worm and Roller type Power Steering. The Armada & Bolero are hard to find.
Old 29th July 2010, 00:02   #9
BHPian

Can someone tell me cost involved and success rate of installing PS
Old 29th July 2010, 06:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can someone tell me cost involved and success rate of installing PS
Cost will be about 20K if you use a Tata unit. Success depends on who installs it for you. We have done 4 or 5 installations in Chennai and the success rate is 100%. Not sure who can do it in Bangalore. One of the jeepers in bangalore can assist.
Old 29th July 2010, 06:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it does, it is the length of a Bolero. But I will be driving mostly with max 3 members when in city.
member #3 will be more comfy in a Commander although I have to say 540 with some alloys has a lot more street cred.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a sedan driver n upgrading to jeep to carry my son's cycle and do a bit of outstation holidaying.
IMHO - if these are the only two aspects of your intended usage, you do not need a Jeep A used Bolero/Scorpio should be good.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:57   #13
BHPian

Would have loved to pick up a bolero or scorpio but budget not permitting :(max. 1.5L mostly I'll upgrade later in a yr or so.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:39   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

If your current sedan is fine, then you can mount a cycle carrier on the roof. It is available / can be custom made. The overall costs would be quite less compared to buying a new vehicle.

The MM540 though somewhat more refinded compared to the commander may also not be to your taste for city driving nor for occational highway use expecially as you have no OTR usage. Best solution would be a sedan with a cycle carrier.

A rear mounted one can be fitted on a Safari / Sorpio. You may get an older Safari for about 2/2.5L
Old 30th July 2010, 23:21   #15
BHPian

I thought about the cycle carrier idea but some how found the idea of a roof rack on a sedan ugly and the only rear carrier available which fits on the back of a hatchback was for 3 cycles hence a foot and half long. This protruding from the back of a hatchback, holding a kids cycle was overkill not to mention prone to theft I feel. (My son has got a fancy setup of light and horn on his cycle )

The next option was a station wagon design i.e. baleno altura / tata marina / opel corsa swing but their poor resale vale and suspect high maintenance cost was a turn off. Hence the idea of a jeep, and a few months down the line a small hatch back as a 2nd car if required.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks