Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I go after my heart and try to buy the Disco?
Should I buy it? 2 4.00%
If yes, between 7-9 lacs? 16 32.00%
If yes, between 10-12 lacs? 6 12.00%
No, I should not buy it. 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2010, 19:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

and the big bomb - life time tax - once the duty is paid and originial invoice price considered - it could shift the equation
Old 4th October 2010, 20:20   #17
BANNED

OMG, would the duties come to that much? I have seen the trooper you have purchased.
So are you saying that the total cost of the vehicle would exceed 12 lacs even if I get it from the CD at say, 7-8lacs(est)?

Moreover, going by so many people advising against it, I believe it is time I looked into the cost of essential spares and ownership as well.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:50   #18
Team-BHP Support

Talk to Sam - he went through the same process.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Dev, It looks tempting. But Since i know you personally and your needs i gave a NO.
what made u find it hard to guess.Offcourse, the running costs. This thought better suits someone has a bunch of cars in the garage and involved in import/export spares. I still remember our conversation when we went to TD where you said roads will improve and you want to run faster and hence safari is not for you. How fast are you gonna with this one.

Guess you are smitten by nokia siemens . But yeah, you can buy it if you can sell it to some imports collection freak. You can probably live this dream when get to longterm assignment abroad. 07/08 LRs are available under 10 lac rupees here.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OMG, would the duties come to that much? I have seen the trooper you have purchased.
So are you saying that the total cost of the vehicle would exceed 12 lacs even if I get it from the CD at say, 7-8lacs(est)?

Moreover, going by so many people advising against it, I believe it is time I looked into the cost of essential spares and ownership as well.

If you get this Landy for 8 Lacs, you will end up paying up more or less a similar amount as import duty, this also depends on the year of manufacture and import to India. (you have not mentioned the YOM)

But the real headache will be at the RTO level.They will ask you for an invoice and then will come up with a atrocious price as life time tax.

Betw-One of my acquaintance had recently purchased a Trooper from a different state (94 model) and he was asked to shell out 1.2 laks as life time tax after he had produced the invoice.Now you can imagine what will be the life time tax of Landy which is at least 5-6 times costlier then a trooper.

I could PM my mobile no. if you wish to clarify any more doubts you may have.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:53   #21
BANNED

The vehicle is a March-2003 manufactured vehicle. Is there some way of finding out the amount of Road tax that I may need to pay.

Boy, this venture is sounding costlier and costlier by the day. :(

Expensive spares, expensive upkeep and now, expensive taxes.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

@n.devdath: Check if the CD price is negotiable or not.

They might want to reconsider in the light of such high taxes. As the overall cost is what the buyer (any buyer) will be looking at.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle is a March-2003 manufactured vehicle. Is there some way of finding out the amount of Road tax that I may need to pay.
Let me know the invoice value and the year of import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@n.devdath: Check if the CD price is negotiable or not.

They might want to reconsider in the light of such high taxes. As the overall cost is what the buyer (any buyer) will be looking at.
CD will have to adhere the regulations of Indian Govt levied to them by MEA.

All the CD's are supposed to call for tenders and auction any vehicle they want to get rid of.

Last edited by Dippy : 5th October 2010 at 11:43. Reason: back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 10:08   #24
BANNED

Hi SilverWood,
The year of import was 2003 and the invoice value was approximately 22lac INR as per today's conversion rates.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:18   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Also, remember that it isn't necessary to spend $$$ to end up with a fun car. For 3 - 4 lakh rupees, a Jeep or Gypsy will give you just as many smiles (especially off the road). And within regular cars, a 4 lakh rupee pre-owned Skoda RS is as much fun to drive on the open road as a new Rs. 30 lakh C Class.

Such imports make great sense for guys like V-16 who have the connections & network to get work done. Look up Speedy's S600 thread. It was an indulgence that eventually required phenomenal resource. Again, as a weekend petrolhead's machine, sure. No ways can such an import be the sole vehicle in the house.

High maintenance cars, owned purely out of passion, aren't everyones cup of tea. Some days, I want to wring the neck of my Jeep. Others, I get unparalleled joy of driving her. At times, the big $$$ repair bills get frustrating. But a week later, I just stop counting. There has to be an emotional connect....say, a particular model you've lusted after for years (like Ajmat and his craving for old Mercs).

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2010 at 10:23.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi SilverWood,
The year of import was 2003 and the invoice value was approximately 22lac INR as per today's conversion rates.
Import duty @ 26-28% (for 8 lakhs- its 2L+)

RTO-Close to 12-14 % on the original invoice value after depreciation.For a 7 year old vehicle, the depreciation could be 18-20%, that means you need to shell out close to 2.5L as LTT.

Note- These are not accurate figures, you may need to check with your local RTO.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:17   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High maintenance cars, owned purely out of passion, aren't everyones cup of tea. Some days, I want to wring the neck of my Jeep. Others, I get unparalleled joy of driving her. At times, the big $$$ repair bills get frustrating. But a week later, I just stop counting. There has to be an emotional connect....say, a particular model you've lusted after for years (like Ajmat and his craving for old Mercs).
Well said Rush, and I truly appreciate it. I was initially looking at a used Pajero/LC Prado, but I m sure you wouldn't encourage that as well for a person like me with limited time and money.

So what am I left with as a well built, reliable, long lasting vehicle which has comfortable seats for 5, drinks diesel frugally, has a lever operated 4wd with a low ratio and can tackle most terrain(no hardcore OTRs) and can cruise all day long on all sorts of roads at 110-130kph without breaking into a sweat?

Either our desi Scorpios and Safaris with their F&F issues or the aspirational Fortuner, which is phenomenally over my budget.

See the tight spot I m in??
Old 5th October 2010, 11:29   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was initially looking at a used Pajero/LC Prado, but I m sure you wouldn't encourage that as well for a person like me with limited time and money.
Actually, I'd highly recommend one if you can buy a 4 - 5 year old example (tops). Any older, and its best as your 2nd car. A used Pajero / Prado make so much more sense than an '03 LR Discovery.

Quote:
So what am I left with as a well built, reliable, long lasting vehicle which has comfortable seats for 5, drinks diesel frugally, has a lever operated 4wd with a low ratio and can tackle most terrain(no hardcore OTRs) and can cruise all day long on all sorts of roads at 110-130kph without breaking into a sweat
Scorpio
Aria (you don't want to offroad anyways)
W201 (Mahindra's upcoming premium SUV)
Used Pajero
Fortuner (you'll have to wait whether you want new or used )
Old 5th October 2010, 12:03   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, I'd highly recommend one if you can buy a 4 - 5 year old example (tops). Any older, and its best as your 2nd car. A used Pajero / Prado make so much more sense than an '03 LR Discovery.
Am gunning for that now.
Quote:
Scorpio
Need lever shift 4wd after seeing those extreme Scorps fail on their 4wd mechanisms, especially when wet.
Quote:
Aria (you don't want to offroad anyways)
Do you like its looks? I dont. Completely MuV looking and no lever shift.
Quote:
W201 (Mahindra's upcoming premium SUV)
AFAIK, no lever shift here as well. If it is, then I d wait for it. Also, M&M would use its initial customers as guinea pigs/bakras.
Quote:
Used Pajero
Seems to be the only option left if I m not able to source a 4-5 yr old LC Prado.

Who says we have many choices these days?
Old 5th October 2010, 14:17   #30
BHPian

The Land Rover series II cars had air suspension in the back, right? Didn't these have issues with the air suspension?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks