Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Scorpio BS III or BS IV

My friend has been waiting for his Scorpio automatic to be delivered for last 1.5 months. Now the dealer has called him and told that only BS III vehicle is available if he wants. He also mentioned that it will get registered as a BS IV vehicle. Few questions:

1) Is it advisable for him to buy BS III vehicle?

2) How can they get it registered as BS IV?

Thanks,
Sandeep
Old 12th October 2010, 18:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
My friend has been waiting for his Scorpio automatic to be delivered for last 1.5 months. Now the dealer has called him and told that only BS III vehicle is available if he wants. He also mentioned that it will get registered as a BS IV vehicle. Few questions:

1) Is it advisable for him to buy BS III vehicle?

2) How can they get it registered as BS IV?

Thanks,
Sandeep
I do not think that BS-III can be registered as BS-IV. In fact no BS-IV vehicle can be registered in the designated Metros. I feel that the dealer is misleading, your friend should insist on BS-IV.

Your friend should also correspond with Mahindra to find the status of delivery.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:26   #3
BHPian

The main difference between BS3 and BS4 is the catalytic converter. I was told that from Oct 2010 in bangalore only BS4 can be registered. For sure a BS3 cannot be registered as BS4. You should stick to BS4 and question the dealer. If needed also talk to M&M directly and escalate.

Scorpio Fan
Old 12th October 2010, 20:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi, has your friend booked a BSIII scorpio or a BSIV?

in any case, a BSIII scorpio cannot be registered in metros. even if the dealer promises to do it, that would be illegal & ultimately in the long run, your friend may face problems due to that. so avoid that.

ask your friend to write a mail to mahindra customer care so that he gets a scorpio BSIV.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:56   #5
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for your responses. On further prodding with the dealer, here is the situation:

You would have read in this forum, that Scorpio automatic has not been available for sometime in Metros. The dealer informs me that the reason is they have not figured out how to make the automatic version BS IV compliant. Hence at present Scorpio automatic BS IV is not available at all. Only option is BS III but that has the downsides pointed here...

I also read issues w.r.t availability of BS IV fuel outside of metros. Would that not be a reason for going for BS III in the present situation?
Old 12th October 2010, 21:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

as far as i know, BSIV vehicles do not need any special BSIV fuel as such, they run on the same normal diesel.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:12   #7
BHPian

Seems the dealer is taking you for a ride. You might want to contact M&M in this matter because Scorpio AT's BSIV variants are very much available and the deliveries are happening in full flow.

Shoot some mails to higher ups in M&M or get in touch with the Sales Head of the concerned region for a better explanation.

Hope your friend gets delivery of a BS IV variant soon.

Quote:
....... Hence at present Scorpio automatic BS IV is not available at all.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Seems the dealer is taking you for a ride. You might want to contact M&M in this matter because Scorpio AT's BSIV variants are very much available and the deliveries are happening in full flow.

Shoot some mails to higher ups in M&M or get in touch with the Sales Head of the concerned region for a better explanation.

Hope your friend gets delivery of a BS IV variant soon.
if this is true, then the dealer surely needs some good treatment!

maybe he is trying to clear some old stocks of BSIII Scorpio Automatics by lying. even i was wondering what has BSIV got to do with the transmission?!! it just the Cat Con & some tuning of engine, if i am right.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th October 2010 at 22:17.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:01   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys - As recommended my friend will speak to someone in Mahindra or their sales head and figure out the situation. Will update this thread, once I have more info
Old 13th October 2010, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is fleecing your friend, BS-III can never be registered as a BS-IV, VIN nos. for both these models are different. If the RTO guy is smart enough he can catch you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In fact no BS-IV vehicle can be registered in the designated Metros.
Didn't get you, could you explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
as far as i know, BSIV vehicles do not need any special BSIV fuel as such, they run on the same normal diesel.
Yes, we have run E-IV vehicles on BS-III fuel without any problems whatsoever!

Quote:
Thanks guys - As recommended my friend will speak to someone in Mahindra or their sales head and figure out the situation.
Main hoon na!

Spike
Old 13th October 2010, 12:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the BS IV vehicles do need fuel that's BS IV compliant, or at least BS III compliant. This will have lesser sulphur content, IMO. So running a BS IV vehicle on BS IV or BS III fuel should be ok, but anything lesser than that should be avoided.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:46   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How can they get it registered as BS IV?
The dealer is probably trying to push old stock down your friend's throat. I believe brand new BS-III vehicles can still be registered in the Metros (again, only brand new) as long as their production date is before 1st April, 2010. If the dealer can do it, take it for granted that the car is old stock.

Quote:
Full information here.
Old 16th October 2010, 18:15   #13
BHPian

Have a good update - My friend spoke with the area sales manager for Mahindra and he reassured him that he will get his Scorpio BS IV Automatic by Nov 3. The reason for the delay is that for some time the automatic tranny imported from Austria was not available but they have started getting it and it seems they have a big backlog to clear

Will update once my friend takes delivery

Thanks everyone.
Old 16th October 2010, 21:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Have a good update - My friend spoke with the area sales manager for Mahindra and he reassured him that he will get his Scorpio BS IV Automatic by Nov 3. The reason for the delay is that for some time the automatic tranny imported from Austria was not available but they have started getting it and it seems they have a big backlog to clear

Thanks everyone.
Wow! thats great news. This was a good decision that your friend made to talk to M&M directly. I was laso scared by the initial information. Anyway things are sorted out, once your friend gets the vehicle please update us.
Scorpio Fan
Old 17th October 2010, 10:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks everyone.

Just my curiosity question.
In-case if your friend got accepted the BS3 complaint vehicle(rare Exception like Vehicle made in the month of April). What would have happened in RTO office while registration!

I'm sure, they wont allow for registration. Any comments guys.

Regards,
Camon

Last edited by camon : 17th October 2010 at 10:14. Reason: Corrected the Sentence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks