Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Utility against performance

Hi,

I am planning to buy a SUV around the budget of 50L. For one, i have started looking from the Outlander (being cost effective), used LC200's and a couple of others. Incidentally, came across a RR sport which does fit the bill. However, the differentiating aspect has come down to these.

Service cost and spare availability. (I did see that the Outlander has a problem with the spares as its a CBU, i might end up waiting for a week or more to get them in case of any issues.)

Other cheaper options, i have looked at are a couple of LR Defenders around the 5-8L mark, most of them covering 80,000 kms.

I would drive approximately 1200-1500kms every month, specifically during weekend for long drives to bangalore and chennai that are 300kms+ away.

Hence, looking at the various pros and cons what would you suggest?

(I already have a Safari Dicor, yet sometimes the service is really annoying.. Hence just want to know a brand that would have a less problematic proposition)
Old 5th November 2010, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see no replies.

If you have a budget of 50L, why are you even looking at the Outlander?

Since you need a reliable vehicle with good A.S.S., i would ask you to have a look at the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. Ex-showroom price is 53 lakhs in coimbatore.

you can also have a look at the -

Merc M class
Audi Q7/Q5
BMW X3
Range Rover Freelander2
Mitsubishi Montero
Old 5th November 2010, 20:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Well if you want a trouble free ownership then it has to be the Prado or the Montero, or even a used LC200.

Then again the Range Rover will make you feel special.
Old 5th November 2010, 22:27   #4
BHPian

@Raj - the outlander offer a variety of tractions in one vehicle (2wd/4wd/awc) .. also the automatic transmission with paddle shifting is something that i feel is interesting... *** seems quite reasonable....

The LC200 which i have seen is a 2003 model, which is commanding a price of around 25-35L... There is a 2007/08 montero which is quoted around 27L and a LC Prado 08 version for 27L again.

The contention which i have for the LC200 is the 03 make seems a little old.

I would not mind spending this amount for a new car, but considering that i can get able to get 2 SUV's with different functions - namely one would be used to drive in the weekends to my estate up the hill in ooty and the other would be for a regular use (as a self driven vehicle).

That is why the dilemma at the moment
Old 6th November 2010, 00:03   #5
BHPian

Why not consider the Fortuner? Japanese reliability and a great on/off roader for less than half your budget. And you can scout around for some delicious deals and get a premium SUV for the rest whenever you get bored of the Fortuner. Plus its great resale will make sure that you dont make a big dent on your pocket if you sell it in a year or so to upgrade.
Old 6th November 2010, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since your budget is around the 50L mark, my first bet would be the Mitsubishi Monteiro,primarily because of service network. You can also look at the BMW X3 or the Audi Q5.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 6th November 2010 at 11:01.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Audi Q5 Or Prado seems perfect.

Cost of servicing etc will be low and you will find parts serviceability across towns.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel Prado & Montero are the best bet for your budget. Both have stonking CRD powerplants and services should be good.

The LC you are referring to is the 100 series. 200 series was lanched only in 2009.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

The higher the purchase price the higher the cost of parts. So if you want a low maintenance vehicle, especially 4x4 I would suggest either the Fortuner or the Montero.

The Prado will be well over 60L on road.

The Range Rover vehicles - Discovery, Range Rover are known to be high maintenance vehicles.

Beyond a certain point what you pay for is more luxury rather than more features, hence if you want to take the vehicle on bad roads, there is very little justification in having an expensive one, where every scratch would cost you a fortune to repair, apart from the heart burn.

Regarding pre-owned vehicles, 4x4 are generally abused/neglected a lot (those who lovingly maintain their vehicles, rarely sell them), and you will need the complete maintenance history if you want peace of mind after purchase.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:49   #10
BHPian

@akshay - the fortuner no doubt is a good SUV, the consideration here is

One the platform used by the fortuner is of an old kind, the ones that we usually see in our local tempos. (I think its called the IMV platform which it shares with Innova as well)

Two, the fortuner is an assembled product whos sales are good. However, we never know when this might be discontinued as it is a product which has a very moderate response in other parts of the world.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Guys gimme a price on this.

BMW X3 09 version 40k on the clock in good condition
Q5 05/10 version in showroom condition.

Last edited by varunrdas : 6th November 2010 at 11:55.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Varunrdas, You did not write about the your requirements. What kind of SUV do require? A Monocoque/Body on frame chassis. What is the priority? On road/Off road/Mixed/Comfort.

The Range Rover Sport you came across is absolutely the best SUV without a doubt you can buy within your budget.

The Toyota Prado is a good SUV, but it's OVERPRICED here. It's clearly not worth what they are asking for.

Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5 are brilliant handlers, but you will have to stretch the budget. Audi Q5 is a good option for only road usage, and it falls in your budget. Avoid X3 as the replacement is due and it's dated.

If you want to save money the LandRover Freelander 2 is very good option, but do not expect it to be as fast the Q5.
Old 6th November 2010, 13:22   #13
BHPian

@Anshuman- The requirements are as follows which i have quoted earlier.

it should fulfill the need of a weekend drive up the hills and off road into my estate.

The second need is be used regularly as a work horse everyday
Old 6th November 2010, 13:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunrdas View Post
However, we never know when this might be discontinued as it is a product which has a very moderate response in other parts of the world.
The Fortuner was launched around a year ago here and its eating the sales chart aplomb.It might be discontinued elsewhere in the world, but rest assured, it will not be taken off here in near future.

Your requirement and usage is not mentioned clearly, please do tell us what exactly you are looking at, so we might help you accordingly.
Cheers
Old 6th November 2010, 14:25   #15
BHPian

A SUV that covers around 400kms in the weekdays and around 300kms in the weekend.

With good A.S.S and resale value.

Any suggestions for vehicle that incorporate A/T or multi transmission?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks