Team-BHP - Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/94812-do-i-really-need-thar-edit-booked-getaway-10.html)

Few gripes:
  1. Fuel Tank can't be remotely opened. It has a key lock. This makes the vehicle theft prone. Can be designed with a lid, theres a DIY method on T-bhp for the remote opening on a boot.
  2. Interiors are beige!!! What was M&M thinking. Beige interiors in a truck!!!, Just completed an ikon interior with fabric painting at you know where, it works!.Could be an option for you.
  3. The load bay door has no lock and has a central handle to open. I'm scared that the load bay door will open up if the vehicle goes over a bump. Can be fixed with steel cable stops for "just in case" situations.
  4. The grey bumper also looks odd .... quirkiness is a good thing, it matches your mindset :).

I am amazed that there is no option of securing luggage while on trips. I guess some body modification guy can fabricate a cover and lock for you?

Oh boy the truck is finally here. Congratulations. Got to plan another drive meet very soon to see it in flesh.

Have you prepared a list of customizations you want to do, as soon as you take delivery?

MaSh

Congratulations MC!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2266362)
Honestly after seeing the vehicle, I have mixed feelings but then what choice did I have.

Are you kidding? You're a genius... I feel that you made a very wise decision based on your requirements. I'm already happy and excited thinking about the pros of the Getaway compared to the Bolero Storm and the Thar:
1) Powerful, refined and classy (compared to both Storm & Thar).
2) 4X4 capability (compared to the Storm).
3) Cheaper 4X4 capability (compared to the Scorpio Refresh 4X4).
4) A/C & Hard top (compared to the Thar).
5) Comfy ride (compared to both Storm & Thar).

You've got a much better package than the owners of 3 types of vehicles. Paisa Vasool I say! If I were you I would first of all fit a roll bar (of same colour as the bumper) with the two hellas already on your Bolero and remove that sticker.

Do I really need the THAR? EDIT: Booked Getaway!-img00093.jpg

A couple of questions:
1) That "Domestic" sticker on the Getaway is to differentiate that your getaway is a private vehicle -- during the shipment process? You remove it after registration?
2) Can the extensive rear overhang issue be partly solved with spacers in the rear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMover (Post 2266656)
I'm already happy and excited thinking about the pros of the Getaway compared to the Bolero Storm and the Thar:
1) classy (compared to both Storm & Thar).

Could you elaborate on points 1 & 3 above?
Quote:

1) That "Domestic" sticker on the Getaway is to differentiate that your getaway is a private vehicle -- during the shipment process? You remove it after registration?
The same vehicle is Exported, although with slight change in configuration (nothing to do with cheaper quality / cost cutting etc.), hence this differentiation.

Spike

Time to change to alloys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashmash (Post 2266609)
Oh boy the truck is finally here. Congratulations. Got to plan another drive meet very soon to see it in flesh.

Have you prepared a list of customizations you want to do, as soon as you take delivery?

MaSh

Thanks.

Nothing major like:
  1. Tarpaulin cover for load bay
  2. Stretchable nylon net for luggage
  3. Hella's

Quote:

Are you kidding? You're a genius... I feel that you made a very wise decision based on your requirements. I'm already happy and excited thinking about the pros of the Getaway compared to the Bolero Storm and the Thar:
1) Powerful, refined and classy (compared to both Storm & Thar).
2) 4X4 capability (compared to the Storm).
4) A/C & Hard top (compared to the Thar).
5) Comfy ride (compared to both Storm & Thar).

You've got a much better package than the owners of 3 types of vehicles. Paisa Vasool I say!

I personally have never been a big fan of the Scorpio. Bolero and THAR are more my type but then what choice did I have south of 10 Lakhs for a 4X4.

And I wouldn't bet too much on the comfy ride as the rear has leaf springs and not the torsion bar set-up like regular Scorpio.
Quote:

If I were you I would first of all fit a roll bar (of same colour as the bumper) with the two hellas already on your Bolero and remove that sticker.

I personally am absolutely against front bull bars. I do need to fit the Hella's but I don't want to use those mounting points on the front. May be Spikey can help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2266697)
The same vehicle is Exported, although with slight change in configuration (nothing to do with cheaper quality / cost cutting etc.), hence this differentiation.

Spike

I would like to get LSD and 4.55 if possible. Not immediately but in the next few months.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2266710)
Time to change to alloys?

Nope. With my style of driving, they wouldn't last too long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2266732)
I would like to get LSD and 4.55 if possible. Not immediately but in the next few months.

Oh yes, will guide you through.

Quote:

:uncontrol What do you do Ani?

Spike

Quote:

...rear has leaf springs and not the torsion bar set-up like regular Scorpio.

Torsion bars on the rear of a Scorpio? Spike, you didn't tell me about this one before? :eek:
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 2266747)
:uncontrol What do you do Ani?

Good question Spike! I echo it... :p

Quote:

Thanks.

Nothing major like:
  1. Tarpaulin cover for load bay
  2. Stretchable nylon net for luggage
  3. Hella's

Congrats on the Getaway. Wish you many many miles on it.

You might find this link interesting: Goradia Industries

If you plan to make your own luggage restrain straps using ratchet straps etc.
The stretchable nylon nets available in India are of very poor quality. Try and source them from the US. I use them for securing my luggage bags on my bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2266457)
I am amazed that there is no option of securing luggage while on trips. I guess some body modification guy can fabricate a cover and lock for you?

Yes. It would have been definitely good to have such a lockable cover as an accessory, similar to what is on offer for the Tata Xenon. Should not be too hard to get this fabricated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2266750)
Torsion bars on the rear of a Scorpio? Spike, you didn't tell me about this one before? :eek:

Dada, you never asked me this, rather, I thought you knew this difference. Getaway is a "sort of" pick-up, hence the leaf springs.

Spike

PS- That torsion bar is called as a Panhard rod.

^^^^
Torsion in quotes please. :)

Regards
Sutripta

Congrats boss, that is indeed a butch vehicle. Agree on the roll bar lights - would be macho if nothing else. However, I'd second tanveer's suggestion - you need a lockable bay!

And please get the fuel lid converted to cable lock before you purchase. Shouldn't be a considerable cost IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2266244)
Thanks Srikanth and Ramki Saar!

The Getaway arrived yesterday afternoon and I went to the Automotives stockyard at Kompally to see the vehicle in flesh. Since the vehicle was locked, I could only see it from outside.
Attachment 511163

Few gripes:
  1. Fuel Tank can't be remotely opened. It has a key lock. This makes the vehicle theft prone.
  2. Interiors are beige!!! What was M&M thinking. Beige interiors in a truck!!!
  3. The load bay door has no lock and has a central handle to open. I'm scared that the load bay door will open up if the vehicle goes over a bump.
  4. The grey bumper also looks odd
BTW contemplating a name for this vehicle. Suggestions welcome :D

Congrats MC,

I also got my Storm Java Brown, hope you get a lot of joy and adventure from your Scorpio. How does 'Wind Walker' sound as a name for your steed?
I'm calling mine 'Spirit'.

Enjoy
Chaunfa