Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advise on buying a used XTrail

You could also look at Mitsubishi Cedia. Good ground clearance and ability to take on bad roads (apart from being as competent as any other sedans).
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:21   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Hmmm ... a Sedan? But isn't the ground clearance low for Honda City and the Linea? Great for highways definitely, but on cratered roads? Not sure about the GC of the Vento. The SX4 has a higher ground clearance - may be that is something I have to include in my shortlist, especially because the diesel version is to be released shortly.
Anything above 170mm can be made to handle all roads in the country. Having said that, the SX4 is certainly amongst the best suited cars for our country in terms of its GC. In fact, it is a regular participant of the Raid de Himalaya as well.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:33   #18
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

n devdath

Yep the GC of the SX4 is sufficient for most roads, but seriously it does not provide too much driving pleasure, neither is the engine fun nor the ride, so if one is giving up on a SUV for having better driving pleasure as offered in a Sedan, then the SX4 is not an ideal option, in an attempt to give the best of both worlds it ends up offering the worst of both. It is feature rich but the interiors feels a step down for a car in it's price range.

That said it is a great VFM (ACC etc.) vehicle but driving pleasure nahh..
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Hmmm ... a Sedan? But isn't the ground clearance low for Honda City and the Linea? Great for highways definitely, but on cratered roads? Not sure about the GC of the Vento. The SX4 has a higher ground clearance - may be that is something I have to include in my shortlist, especially because the diesel version is to be released shortly.
In the numerous threads here on the Linea T-Jet, I did not see any issues mentioned about the GC. And SX4 definitely will have a better ground clearance as it has cross-over genes.
Looking at your requirement, a Skoda Yeti could be a fantastic fit. High on safety, excellent diesel engine, and sufficent GC for those broken highways.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:44   #20
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your advice. I test drove a SX-4 (Petrol) yesterday and liked it. The pickup is very good (without the lag I experience with my Indigo). The fully loaded Zxi version is available for about 7.5 lakhs after discounts. I was interested in the new SX-4 ZDi as well, but the demo car hadn't reached the showroom yet. Also, since my usage will be just about 12,000 kms a year, most of it on the highway, the Salesperson pointed out that the net difference in price between the two being close to 1.5 lakhs (no discounts with the Diesel in near future), it will take me more than 5 years to recover the extra cost of the ZDi.

Cost considerations aside, the SX4 ZDi may also have a pronounced turbo lag, given that it is the same engine that powers the Linea and the Manza. I think the low power-to-weight ratio and the turbo lag that are giving me trouble with my Indigo on sharp hair pin bends. So I want to avoid the turbo lag problem in my next car.

I also test drove the Innova today. Yes, it did feel almost like a car, and was not as difficult to drive as I thought. But the gear box did feel a tad heavy and the steering wheel was a little harder than I am used to, especially when parking. The engine was smooth, the pickup was very good, and while there was a bit of turbo lag in the second gear, it wasn't as pronounced as it is in my old Indigo.

It is really a shame that Toyota does not provide Airbags and ABS in the GX variant - I have to pay Rs.2 lakhs extra to get these (and a few other features, most of which I can do without) for the VX variant.

Given that this car is going to be driven on the highway mostly, I feel that Airbags and ABS are a must, even though the Innova is basically a 'safe' vehicle.

I am not ready to stretch my budget to 15 lakhs for the Innova VX version, so I think, very reluctantly, I have to rule out the Innova.

I am wondering whether to test drive the Linea and the Manza. The diesel versions of these cars appear to be more popular than the petrol ones and I am worried about the Turbo lag. Any feedback from owners of Linea and Manza diesel on the turbo lag and the Ground Clearance will be most welcome.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you go for a sedan then "Driving happily over potholes" might not happen. You will have to drive carefully. You have to take a call on how much of bad roads you are going to drive on. If its say 20% of total distance you expect to run your car on, then its fine. Can be managed.

Would have recommended "Ford Fusion" or "FIAT Adventure". Both have high GC but unfortunately both are out of production.

Right now best bet will be Innova which you have ruled out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks