Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Corolla Lower arm replacement needed?

Hey guys,

I have a June 2006 H2 Corolla. It has done approximately 53k kms and has been used mostly on Highways or Gurgaon roads.

Recently while driving the front suspension would make a 'clunk' sound whenever I used to drive on bad road, i.e. roads with small pot holes or rocks jutting out. This only happened at a good clip but never at a slow pace.

Following has happened after I noticed these problems

Toyota A.S.S

I took it to Toyota and they said that both front lower arms need to be replaced. The reason was that the rubber joint at the very end had been cut. Attached is a pic of the same in which the joint of the arm is shown together with the 'cut' rubber. They quoted 18k for parts plus labor. I wanted a second opinion since this was a part which I had read is 'over engineered' and hence something unlikely to fail on a sedately driven car.

Trusted garage

I then took it to a trusted Gurgaon shop(Rakesh Automobiles). I just finished talking to him and he has stated that he does not think that the arm needed replacement.

Can you guys help me figure out if this is indeed a problem, and if so is replacing the entire lower arm on both sides is the only solution.

HR
Attached Thumbnails
Corolla Lower arm replacement needed?-lower-swing-arm.jpg  

Old 28th April 2011, 16:22   #2
AWD
BHPian

Re: Corolla Lower arm replacement needed?

Get it rechecked again, old model Corollas were known to make noise while going over pot holes, broken roads, speed-breakers. I've heard that noise coming out from new Corollas.

Rubber parts, etc. could be changed but parts like lower arm are expensive, so think before changing.
Old 28th April 2011, 19:56   #3
BHPian

Thanks AWD.

Rakesh Automobiles changed the bush in both front and rear and it seems to be working great. Another good thing I came to know is that rubber part can be replaced if needed, no need to change the entire lower arm.

Also they located a screw in the rear suspension which was creating squeaking incessantly on smooth roads. The A.S.S SA had advised to replace entire rear brake components.

I really need to thank Guru Dutt Ji for spreading word about this workshop. Even the young guys are very knowledgeable.

All that remains in the car is the odd alignment. Let me take a couple of pics and get back.

Cheers,
HR
Old 28th April 2011, 22:39   #4
BHPian

I had a similar problem with my Indica (50k done). I replaced the ball joints and all is well now.

When you say you replaced the bush, is this the same as the ball joint? I dont know much about suspensions !!
Old 29th April 2011, 11:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I had a similar problem with my Indica (50k done). I replaced the ball joints and all is well now.

When you say you replaced the bush, is this the same as the ball joint? I dont know much about suspensions !!
I dont think so. The ball joint is basically a metal semi sphere with a perpendicular rod(with a ball head) going through it.
From my understanding bush are the rubber joints which help prevent vibrations in connections between various suspension parts.

He replaced another part along with the bush called the Tie Rods for both front wheels. This has definitely reduced the amount of noise to an acceptable level.

Total Cost Rs 1100. Awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks