Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 18:50   #1

Fiat 1.6 - Engine Replacement

Dear All,

Would need your advice on this. My friend's 1.6 Petra engine has gone bust and he intends to replace it. He has presently got an offer from an automobile dealer for the block, pistons, head, timing belt with tensioner and oil hose of a fiat adventure 1.6 engine. This dealer says the engine between a petra 1.6 and advy is the same except the oil hose, which he says he will throw in with the engine.

So the question to all you people who are aware of this is...will the engine 1.6 engine fit into the petra? is the petra 1.6 and advy 1.6 engine the same in every way? A quick response from you guys will help. Thanks a ton.

V
Old 28th April 2011, 19:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Fiat 1.6 - Engine Replacement

As far as I know except for the ECM setup, rest everything should be similar if not identical. However, your friend can always reconsider overhauling the original engine.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 28th April 2011, 21:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the 1.6engine still on sale in the Palio?? If it is you should be able to source a large number of the parts from Fiat itself, though cost may be a bit prohibitive.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veegeerocks View Post
Dear All,

Would need your advice on this. My friend's 1.6 Petra engine has gone bust and he intends to replace it. He has presently got an offer from an automobile dealer for the block, pistons, head, timing belt with tensioner and oil hose of a fiat adventure 1.6 engine. This dealer says the engine between a petra 1.6 and advy is the same except the oil hose, which he says he will throw in with the engine.

So the question to all you people who are aware of this is...will the engine 1.6 engine fit into the petra? is the petra 1.6 and advy 1.6 engine the same in every way? A quick response from you guys will help. Thanks a ton.

V
Hi

Just out of curiosity, can you share how much engines have been priced for you? I am trying to figure out how much all the components cost (percentage wise) in a car.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Isnt the 1.6engine still on sale in the Palio?? If it is you should be able to source a large number of the parts from Fiat itself, though cost may be a bit prohibitive.
Tough luck!
Engines are made in Brazil and imported.
Old 29th April 2011, 07:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

The engine is the same between the Petra and the Adventure. But just wondering why is your friend not overhauling the engine unless there is crack or something in the engine block.

Cheers
Old 29th April 2011, 11:12   #7
BHPian

@veegee - Please consider the option of overhauling the engine. Can you explain what you mean by "bust"? These engines (1.6 torque series) are very reliable and bullet proof and can withstand a lot of abuse. Please dont go in for a replacement unless absolutely necessary. Let me know what has gone wrong with the engine and we can see if we can rebuild it.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 29th April 2011, 18:28   #8
BHPian

Not a precise response to the question put up by the OP, but posting nonetheless.

I was doing some long term planning for my GTX. The car has run 93K KM, so I checked how long is the engine likely to last and what is the best way once the engine needs overhauling.

According to the experienced people at the service center, if one wants to get the original performance back, the best way is to replace the whole engine (minus the acccessories like the alternator, compressor etc.). It is diffcult to source the engine from FIAT India, but imports are easy. A replacement engine (import) is likely to cost about 50K. Also, unless the engine has been subject to overheating at some point in its life, the 1.6 engine can be expected to perform without any discernable loss of performance upto 200-250K KMs.

Hope this helps in some way!

Last edited by vipul_singh : 29th April 2011 at 18:30.
Old 30th April 2011, 18:18   #9

Guys,

Thanks for the reply. We thought it would be a better idea to change the engine block rather than go through the gamble of sleeving it. In the sleeving process, a lot depends on the mechanic and kind of alloy used and any bad work done, can lead to bore becoming oval etc. So we thought we'd rather change the block, even though it might cost a bit more. More dependable solution. So we have the advy engine for sale for quite a good bargain...so was wondering, if its the same as a petra 1.6 engine and fits in perfectly...if so, we want to go ahead and order it. Please let me know asap. Thanks.

V

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks