Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

What bulbs for the 2008 Toyota Corolla?

my BIL wants to replace the bulbs of his toyota corolla H1 2008 1.8g model. i searched the whole net for specs on which type of bulbs but couldnt find a proper info. does any one know what type of bulb H1, H4, H7 or what ever and let me know. i think it is standars 55/65w is it not. please shed some info guys.....

geeash
Old 4th May 2011, 01:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: toyota Corolla 2008 model bulbs specs?

Doc,

I think the spec is hb3.

Sylvania makes a model called 9006 for the Low Beam and 9005 for hi beam ; these are single filament bulbs

the corolla has twin parabola headlights viz. one reflector for low beam and another for hi beam
Old 30th September 2011, 21:19   #3
BHPian

Re: What bulbs for the 2008 Toyota Corolla?

Hello,
I would like to re-open this thread.

Well I checked up with dealers in Bangalore and they say they only have stock bulbs. And extreme power like the 90/100 or 100/130 is not available in these versions.

Any idea as to what might be the bulbs available with a higher wattage for both HB3 & HB4

Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
Hello,
I would like to re-open this thread.

Well I checked up with dealers in Bangalore and they say they only have stock bulbs. And extreme power like the 90/100 or 100/130 is not available in these versions.

Any idea as to what might be the bulbs available with a higher wattage for both HB3 & HB4

Thanks
Check this out - Philips essential power bulbs. Available in 70w for hi and 100w for lo beam in HB4 and HB3 respectively.

Philips Lighting India - EssentialPower light&va=more light#0

However, I use Philips premium (only hi beam, since lo beam is HID) that generate more 30% more light using slightly thinner filaments rather than extra power consumption and more heat. They dont discolour plastic reflectors and lenses over a period of time.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Check this out - Philips essential power bulbs. Available in 70w for hi and 100w for lo beam in HB4 and HB3 respectively.

Philips Lighting India - EssentialPower light&va=more light#0

However, I use Philips premium (only hi beam, since lo beam is HID) that generate more 30% more light using slightly thinner filaments rather than extra power consumption and more heat. They dont discolour plastic reflectors and lenses over a period of time.
Hi R2D2 I did go through the link you attached (thanks for it). Could you clear another doubt for me ?

These are the models that are available from Philips as an upgrade to OEM.

HB3: 100W Philips (Rallye) HighBeam
HB4: 70W Philips (Rallye) LowBeam
H3: 85W Philips (Rallye) Fog Lights

I would need a relay and cut-out for this setup as a standard. But I would like to know if I've to install two Relay's and cutout's as the power pulled when on full blast would be high(100*2 + 70*2 + 85*2 =510w). Will this setup damage my battery in any way ?

Why I will need this much of light output ?
I will be driving close to quarry's and mines. The dust can be a real pain to see through and when it rains, it rains very hard.

Thank you for your input
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
Hi R2D2 I did go through the link you attached (thanks for it). Could you clear another doubt for me ?

These are the models that are available from Philips as an upgrade to OEM.

HB3: 100W Philips (Rallye) HighBeam
HB4: 70W Philips (Rallye) LowBeam
H3: 85W Philips (Rallye) Fog Lights

I would need a relay and cut-out for this setup as a standard. But I would like to know if I've to install two Relay's and cutout's as the power pulled when on full blast would be high(100*2 + 70*2 + 85*2 =510w). Will this setup damage my battery in any way ?

Why I will need this much of light output ?
I will be driving close to quarry's and mines. The dust can be a real pain to see through and when it rains, it rains very hard.

Thank you for your input
Make sure you install relays for hi/low beam + the fog lamps with new higher gauge wiring that can handle the power draw. Your OEM wiring loom is not designed for that load.

510w = 42.5A which is 60% of the capacity of the 9G Indian Corolla's 70A alternator. Leaving only ~27.5A for other electrical assemblies incl. your car's ECU, ignition and accessories. It is Ok to have this level of load at highway speeds but @ low road speeds it may lead to the battery being partially charged.

Frankly it is not the battery that you need to worry about, but the wiring, alternator and headlamp assemblies.

With high power bulbs, over the medium to long term, life of the headlamp or fog lamp reflector + lens AND the bulb holder will get affected. Each plastic assembly is designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat and that is the amount generated by a 60w bulb for lo beam and 55w for hi beam. I would not recommend a very high wattage bulb with plastic assemblies.

Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:20   #7
BHPian

Thanks R2D2 your knowledge to the subject is very profound.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 00:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It is Ok to have this level of load at highway speeds but @ low road speeds it may lead to the battery being partially charged.

With high power bulbs, over the medium to long term, life of the headlamp or fog lamp reflector + lens AND the bulb holder will get affected.
Cheers!
+1 to the headlamp reflector life if hi power bulbs are used.

But why do you say that the battery would get only partially charged at low road speeds?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
But why do you say that the battery would get only partially charged at low road speeds?
An alternator's test/benchmark speed is 2000 engine RPM. Anything less than that means output in terms of voltage and amps drops.

If I remember correctly, a Corolla's alt generates around 30A at 2000 RPM and most city speeds the engine RPM is lower than this at around 15-1800 whilst running the car in low gear. Therefore, with a load of 43-50A (all lights switched on, 43A, plus other electrical circuits) there will be a deficit of at least 13A which will be drawn from the battery & will eventually discharge it partially. And if such a situation were to continue over a longer period, there would be a deep discharge i.e. (<50% State of Charge) that affects SLI battery life severely.

Regards,
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:10   #10
BHPian

Re-opening:

What option do I have if I want to upgrade the Corolla Altis 65W hi-beam bulb to another hi-beam bulb? Any retailers for this upgrade?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks