Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 06:21   #1
BHPian

Where to buy OEM Paint? Exact colour matching to factory job?

Can someone recommend a shop in Mumbai where I can buy paint (not touch up tubes) but enough for a door once I give a toyota paint code (Innova - Silver Mica)

My regular mechanic recommended someone who has not been able to match 'exactly' so I told him I will get the paint and he can strip what he has painted and reapply.

Am not looking for a bodyshop but for a paint dealer.

Any and all help is appreciated
Old 5th May 2011, 08:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Where to buy OEM Paint? Exact colour matching to factory job?

Hi Genesis,

If Shetty Motors doesn't have the same in stock, did you ask them if they can order it from someplace? Alternatively, ask your garage if they have the Standox paint formula book. I read on the forum that this book contains paint formulation details for each & every car sold in India. Has your garage referred to it?

If the mismatch is minor, don't bother. Fresh paint versus old paint will always show a difference. If the difference is major, your paint shop is incompetent.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

If my understanding is correct, cars are 'dip-painted' at the factory, but the dealer uses 'spray-painting method'. So even if the newly painted part looks the same as the other parts with old paint, the difference would show up over time.

I guess this difference would be minimal for light colors such as silver, golden beige and light grey.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 5th May 2011 at 09:23.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Genesis,

If Shetty Motors doesn't have the same in stock, did you ask them if they can order it from someplace? Alternatively, ask your garage if they have the Standox paint formula book. I read on the forum that this book contains paint formulation details for each & every car sold in India. Has your garage referred to it?

If the mismatch is minor, don't bother. Fresh paint versus old paint will always show a difference. If the difference is major, your paint shop is incompetent.
Thanks!
On the phone, Shetty said they dont do paints.
The difference is not very major but is noticeable to a sharp eye.

So far he was sourcing his own paint from a guy who mixes them on a machine but there was always a slight difference (Silver v/s Silver Mica which has a slight tinge of yellow!). I think the issue with the paint shop is that the son (who has returned from Dubai has taken over the business from his old reliable father!) is a bit overconfident.

After sanding down two times and reapplying different shades ( my driver - who is usually reliable was leading this initiative ) , this time I told him that I would source the paint and this would be the last experiment.
Old 5th May 2011, 10:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Genesis,

Standox paint formula book. I read on the forum that this book contains paint formulation details for each & every car sold in India.
Exactly, this link seems to be useful for getting Innova silver mica color foruma:

Standox - Common Web
Hashim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 10:37   #6
BHPian

There will be a minor difference in the paint shade because of fading in the sun over a period of time

You are in fact lucky to have a light shade in the car - Silver Mica

Getting as close to possible is the key here

I once did a DIY of the entire M800 red at that time i found that the local mechanics buy paint from shops where the mixing is done manually and the correct shade of paint obtained by mixing. Even if you buy the OEM paint there will be a difference and you will have to mix some other shades based on the level of fading.

At that time i used to carry around the fuel lid along with me to obtain the exact shade

You might actually be better off going along with your mechanic and getting his vendor to mix the shade for you. In all probability indian ingenuity & experience might be better off and much much cheaper than a machine mixed

Hope this information helps
Old 5th May 2011, 12:38   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
The difference is not very major but is noticeable to a sharp eye.
Li'l difference is inevitable, and greatly depends on the competency of the paint shop. Even with the same materials, an expert painter can work magic. From my ownership of two silver cars, I've found that silver is amongst the easiest to colour match. Of course, nothing beats black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Exactly, this link seems to be useful for getting Innova silver mica color foruma:

Standox - Common Web
Thanks for sharing, Hashim
Old 5th May 2011, 16:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my ownership of two silver cars, I've found that silver is amongst the easiest to colour match. Of course, nothing beats black!
Even if its any kind of metallic black? Reason I'm asking is because I got one of the fenders of my white swift repainted and as per the workers at the A.S.S white was the easiest colour to match.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
If my understanding is correct, cars are 'dip-painted' at the factory, but the dealer uses 'spray-painting method'. So even if the newly painted part looks the same as the other parts with old paint, the difference would show up over time.

I guess this difference would be minimal for light colors such as silver, golden beige and light grey.
The Factory fresh cars are also Spray painted but by Robotic arms than humans. They are usually dip treated for anti corrosion treatment etc.

Dip Painting would require a lot of Paint in the Dip Bath and Colors are usually chosen based on the long run customer preference.

Last edited by sreedotk : 5th May 2011 at 16:41.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Find any dupont shops, they do have a very detailed database of color codes (oe) and compensation factor for age, to get a precise color match. Understand this is only the first step, second is to match the finish, which is actually more tricky.

In BLR i could have guided you in totality
Old 5th May 2011, 17:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Genesis,

I Fresh paint versus old paint will always show a difference. If the difference is major, your paint shop is incompetent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikkrishnan View Post
There will be a minor difference in the paint shade because of fading in the sun over a period of time
A lil' polishing will easily bring back the original finish on the old paint.

That paint oxidation is only limited to the top layer of the clearcoat and can be easily polished off to reveal the fully transparent clearcoat, fully transmitting the color of the basecoat.

@OP - I like your idea of getting genuine paints but loads of stuff is required for making paint, like basecoat ,basecoat reducer, clearcoat, clearcoat reducer, urethane hardner if you're using urethane clear(high solid clear)

PPG makes quality clearcoats which are used on high end cars!
Old 6th May 2011, 13:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Can someone recommend a shop in Mumbai where I can buy paint (not touch up tubes) but enough for a door once I give a toyota paint code (Innova - Silver Mica)
Go to any DUpont paint dealer. There are literally dozens of them in Mumbai. To get an exact match, take your car there, or have the fuel tank lid (not the cap) taken to the paint dealer. You should easily get a match.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:51   #13
BHPian

Just wondering if these paints are available in Spray Cans so that we can do a little touch up ourselves or is it not adviced ?
Old 29th December 2011, 21:22   #14
BHPian

I have a Toyota Innova 2011 Super White. Can anybody please help me with the color code.. Please its urgent.. Thank you..
Old 30th December 2011, 03:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy1313 View Post
I have a Toyota Innova 2011 Super White. Can anybody please help me with the color code.. Please its urgent.. Thank you..
You can get the code on the name plate which is visible when you open the hood - somewhere at the top of the engine firewall

Better still,please take the fuel flap and the paint guy will match the colour

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks