Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 18:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Exhaust Drone

Folks,

I recently upgraded the end can in my 2 year old Fiesta 1.6S. It was the Evotion EV801 muffler.

Everything was good until I was plagued with this exhaust drone noise. I have searched and tried to read much on google however I couldnt find a straight forward solution to control drone. The drone comes into the cabin between 2500 to 4000RPM which is actually the sweet spot of the exhaust. Sounds good outside, its getting me bad headache if I am inside. Need help to find a solution!

What causes exhaust drone?

- Positioning of the end can?
- Piping issue?
- Any leaks, I hear a mild metal clapping noise when I park the car in my garage which is a closed space and good enough to amplify any noise.

Looking forward to all the help!
Old 9th May 2011, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Exhaust Drone

Is Evo a straight through bassy exhaust? Bassy exhausts are often drone prone. Exhaust positioning will have an effect on how the drone filters into the cabin as well, it may be pronounced in some cars and not very much in others. Maybe you can try some extra damping on the cabin floor above where the muffler sits and it might cut the drone a bit.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Evotion is bassy, yes!

I did apply some damping inside the wheel right above where the exhaust is positioned with some Noisekill. However, I dint feel any improvement.

BTW, the exhaust was installed in 2 other Fiestas on the same day. Its only my car thats plagued with the drone. The only difference I could note from the other installs to mine is the exhaust tip sticking out more and also the piping from the Resonator is not running parallel to the chassis.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

If possible position it so that the muffler exit opens clear of the body/bumper, that might help a bit.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks