Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Ski Racks for the Scorpio?

guys

one of my relatives owns a 2008 top of the line java brown scorp.

after serving us for 3.5 years, the right ski rack got all rusted and rotted up and it broke into "chips". Now comes the most difficult part. we have searched for it in every street of chennai but not able to get it. We are able to find only delhi made dups with 3m double side stickers on the bottom whereas the original ones are actually bolted onto the roof.

anybody out there, is it possible to tell where i can get one ?

cheers

wild child
Old 14th March 2012, 10:44   #2

Re: Ski Racks for the Scorpio?

Hi,

Slightly off topic. I also have a problem with my ski rack. Today I bumped on to a ceiling while entering into the basement car park. My ski rack clamp on the back has developed a crack.

I am taking the vehicle to the service center today to check how much is it going to cost. When I called the service center, they told me that the entire assembly needs to be changed and that it would cost 4000 Rupees.

Anyone who has faced a similar issue. Do we really need to get the entire assembly changed?

Any thoughts on this please?

Cheers
Old 19th March 2012, 12:37   #3
BHPian

Hi scorp

The cost which you have mentioned seem to be for a set of two ski racks.

Anyway, coming to your question, I don't see why the a.s.s. Guys want to replace the entire assembly when only the clamp has been broken.

For better understanding, could you post some pictures of the damage?

Cheers,

Wild child
Old 26th March 2012, 12:48   #4

Hi Wild Child,

I am taking my Scorpio to the A.S.S this weekend. I checked the SKI rack and the damage is just to the plastic part that holds it. I will post the pic tonight. I don't think I will need to get this changed as only a small piece of plastic has got broken.

Cheers
SanScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 14:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

SanScorp, if its just a crack, why dont you try using some adhesive to hold it together? It's a different issue if the part os broken off.
Old 4th April 2012, 14:01   #6

Forget about the ski rack. I have a bigger problem. Last Sunday I escaped a major accident while driving back to Bangalore from Krishnagiri. A speeding truck hit my scorpio from behind. My scorpio is badly damaged from the back. The major problem is that the floor has gone inside due to the impact. The workshop says the floor cannot be mended and I need to get the whole body shell replaced. But the insurance company wants the workshop to repair the dented floor. Its a hell of a time that I am undergoing.

Thank god and the scorpio, me and my wife are safe. I feel terrible for the car. It was such a well maintained car
Old 9th April 2012, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Hey San

Ouch ! That hurts a lot.

How did the accident happen? Whose fault was it?

Anyways, I've got a couple of friends working in bodyshops of reputed mahindra authorized dealer here in chennai. So, if it is possible for you to send some detailed pictures of the damage in your scorpio, we could try and figure out what best can be done to resurrect her back on road.

Cheer up San, even the worst damage in this case is repairable. . Thank your lucky stars for that.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:38   #8

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have the photos of the damaged floor. I need to go to the dealership and take a picture. The entire car runs smooth without any hassles. I drove the car almost 50 kms after the accident while taking it to the dealer. So the chassis is intact as the car drove like dream. Its a tussle between the insurance company and the dealer. Insurance company wants the car to be repaired by mending the floor and pulling the car body slightly to align it with the chassis. I am not comfortable with that neither is the dealer. So I am fighting it out for a body shell replacement.

Guys. Will a replaced body shell pose problems for the vehicle in future. Which one is good. Getting the floor repaired or replacing the body shell that comes along with the floor.

Responses are much appreciated. I will post the photos of the damaged vehicle tonight.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorp View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have the photos of the damaged floor. I need to go to the dealership and take a picture. The entire car runs smooth without any hassles. I drove the car almost 50 kms after the accident while taking it to the dealer. So the chassis is intact as the car drove like dream. Its a tussle between the insurance company and the dealer. Insurance company wants the car to be repaired by mending the floor and pulling the car body slightly to align it with the chassis. I am not comfortable with that neither is the dealer. So I am fighting it out for a body shell replacement.

Guys. Will a replaced body shell pose problems for the vehicle in future. Which one is good. Getting the floor repaired or replacing the body shell that comes along with the floor.

Responses are much appreciated. I will post the photos of the damaged vehicle tonight.
Is the ladder frame intact? Repairing the floor isn't a bad option, given that Scorpio is not a monocoque shell. The workshop might be in the process of making more money by replacing the body.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:32   #10

Hi 1100D,

Everything is intact except for the floor. Due to the impact, the rear door was pushed inside and this in door in turn pushed the floor completely bending it into four folds. I sent an email to Mahindra and they too confirmed that the floor cannot be replaced separately.

The Insurance guys proposed repairing the floor by tinkering it and then pulling the entire body to get it aligned till the rear bumper. My vehicle is just a year old. So I insisted on a body shell replacement based on the advice given by Mahindra and the A.S.S. Got the Insurance approval yesterday and I think in a month's time the vehicle should be ready to rule the roads once again.

In my personal opinion, I too wanted a body shell replacement because I was not comfortable with the idea of cutting the quarter panel and getting it repaired. With the new body shell, I will atleast comfortable that my vehicle is in one piece and not welded and repaired at different places.

I have taken the windshield replacement waiver and depreciation waiver clause. So will not have to bear the expenses on plastics and windshield replacement.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks