Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Mixing Naphtha with Petrol?

Team, i have a query. i heard from some of my friend that we can mix naphtha with petrol in some quantity which will not harm the car and also be useful because of price rise. say about 1lt of petrol mix with 0.5lt of naphtha.
can you give me some suggestion that is it true. i am doubting but don't know exactly. what will happen if we mix naphtha with petrol in the ratio given above?
Old 15th May 2011, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Naphtha in Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
Team, i have a query. i heard from some of my friend that we can mix naphtha with petrol in some quantity which will not harm the car and also be useful because of price rise. say about 1lt of petrol mix with 0.5lt of naphtha.
can you give me some suggestion that is it true. i am doubting but don't know exactly. what will happen if we mix naphtha with petrol in the ratio given above?
Giving the petrol pumps a run for their money by adding adulterates on your own?

Adding Naptha may not be very nice for your catalytic converter - I don't know about knocking etc. though they may increase too.

Also where do you plan to source the large quantities of Naptha?
Old 15th May 2011, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear friend you are talking of adding to petrol.I was in Gandhidham (Kutcchh) sometimes in 1991 for Kandla Bathinda Pipe line project of Indian Oil.That time all autorickshaws and some scooters,cars in Kandla and gandhidham were using pure NAPHTA that too stolen ones from depots .They used to say that only problem in it is too much of carbon deposit is there in the cumbustion chamber and they have to decarbonize the engine too often.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:09   #4
BHPian

Please Don't ! you have a petrol engine in you car and not a naphta engine. Naphta is used as a fuel in industries for heating purposes but i doubt if it is used for running engines.

Naptha has also been used to adultrate diesel, and when used it gives pungent exhaust fumes, your eyes water and nostrils burn.

The by products of combustion of hydrocarbons like naphta, benzene are rumored to be carcinogenic. May be someone qualified can comment on this.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 15th May 2011 at 19:26.
Old 15th May 2011, 21:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what will happen if we mix naphtha with petrol in the ratio given above?
Can you source naptha? I mean in small retail quantities?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th May 2011, 22:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

We deal in Naptha discharging on everyday basis. Have also carried this solvent during my sailing dasy on ships.

Few broad points on Naptha are as below:
Naptha is a actually a type of hydrocarbon produced through a distillation process. Coal tar & certain types of wood is also be processed to yield Naptha. There are a number of uses for Maptha. including usage in primitive grenades.

One common use of this is as a SOLVENT. Naptha is a very strong and versatile solvent which can be used in hydrocarbon cracking, laundry soaps, cleaning fluids, etc.
Naptha is also used to make varnish, as fuel in camping cook stoves and lamps, and in the process of fuels such as gasoline and kerosene.
Some forms of this chemical can be dangerous. Naptha is also unstable and flammable, making it important to handle it with care.
Its crystal clear to brwonish in nature & has very strong pungent smell. If need be it must be used in well ventilated atmosphere.

P.S.: Keep a bottle of clear Naptha at home. Its very useful in removing hard stains from your white shirts.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 22:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Naphtha is used as a gas turbine fuel.
I heard that some tanker lorry guys used to supply naphtha to petrol pumps for adulteration which goes unnoticed.
In some parts of Kerala in the past when fuel stations were hard to see, there existed an illicit fuel supply chain near the petrol pumps to cater to customers in need after the pumps were closed.
There were instances of two wheelers catching fire in those times because of lower flash point temperatures.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th May 2011 at 22:17.
Old 15th May 2011, 22:46   #8
SAS
BHPian

Naphtha is used heavily alongwith kerosene to adulterate petrol in India. I'm not sure about the negative effects of naphtha, but it's also used to create high octane petrol. If you are able to source it and mix it in low quantities to petrol, hopefully it should work. Knowing the petrol pumps earn a pittance in margin, I'm sure all petrol pumps adulterate fuel. that's the only way they can make money. Their "official" margin per litre is a pittance. Way back in 2004, it was 0.4 per litre. Not sure how much it is now (I'm no longer part of the petroleum products industry)
Old 15th May 2011, 23:32   #9
BHPian

I don't have naphtha i just heard it from my friend so wanted to know the technical things about it. if it is ok in small quantity than i can try to source it. if it doesn't damage the engine than it is ok.
Old 16th May 2011, 01:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have naphtha i just heard it from my friend so wanted to know the technical things about it. if it is ok in small quantity than i can try to source it. if it doesn't damage the engine than it is ok.
No dear.
Even a small quantity can increase the carbon deposit in the engine & please do think of the pollution.

If you would like to test it, use the savings from this adulteration to repair your engine.
Old 16th May 2011, 01:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will do long term damage to your engine and catalytic converter. Also passing the next PUC test may become a nightmare.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

@rakowli: Try getting into habit of sleeping with sheet over your head for one year. The damage you'll do your lungs by breathing the same air that you breath out will be quite closer to what you'll do by using even fraction of Naptha in your car fuel as an additive.

BETTER STILL USE KEROSENE (Easy to source & CHEAPER)

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 16th May 2011 at 11:00.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:55   #13
BANNED

Naptha is used by the OMCs sometimes when the petrol they buy (from outside) has a higher Octane than the specifications. They 'cut' the petrol to reduce the octane. There was a famous case of an OMC some years back, when they over cut the petrol procured for Delhi, and ended up diverting it to Kanpur. Car stalling became a big issue until the petrol ran out. I was advised by a dealer than I must put additives in my petrol until this fuel runs out.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Adulterated petrol usually contains Naphtha. Its is not good for the engine and can cause serious damage in the long run.

If you must use it, you can fill your Zippo with Naphtha as Zippo lighter fluid is nothing but Naphtha. (apart from other mentioned uses in the posts above).
Old 16th May 2011, 12:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Naptha is a major feed stock for the older generation fertilizer plants. IMO this is where most of the naptha ends up. I also think it is a controlled commodity for this very reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks