Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 07:44   #1
BHPian

Civic A/C woes

My mom's civic has a weak air conditioner. the car has 34k km, and my mother says its A/C has always been weak. various A/C repair shops tell me that civic A/C is known to be weak.

anyway, I had it serviced a couple of days ago that involved an R134a top up and condensor clean out.

the cooling is certainly better than before but still not right.

if the HVAC is set to recirculate, the interior gets quite cool. if its set to draw in fresh air, the ac just can't seem to cool the incoming air. Also, even when on recirculate, the car needs to be in motion for the A/C to work well. In stop go traffic and at long red lights, the air out of the vent loses chill. when the speed picks up above 25km/h it gets chilled.

to me it feels like the fan blowing across the condensor isn't moving enough volume on its own. What I can't tell is whether I need a new OE fan (if the present one has become weak), or if I need a larger capacity fan (if the present fan is working to design but has inadequate flow).

what do you guys think?
Old 16th May 2011, 08:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the gas pressure is low as you mention that it chills only after moving. Low gas pressure leads to ice formation and thus for the temp gauge it's like super cool, however with car moving and hot air breaking the ice formation, it starts cooling again.

I speak from experience, however get the car checked with Honda. Our civic was 3 years old and never had an AC issue. Try good sun-film as well.

All the best.
Old 16th May 2011, 09:02   #3
BHPian

Re: Civic A/C woes

I think you are mistaken. The Civic A/C is certainly not weak. Its probably the best in the segment. I can only assume your gas levels are low. If you did try refilling the gas and are still facing the problem there is a possibility of a leak.

It could always be a one off problem in your car too but I doubt that. Get the car A/C checked for leaks and that should help.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

The Civic ac is not known to be weak. Take it to a Honda dealer if you haven't already and get it checked out there. Compare it to another Civic if you can, and if you find that also weak then get some good sunfilm. I would suggest Vkool.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:37   #5
BHPian

the car has 3M film on it. at any rate, the film cannot make a difference to why air from the vent stops being cool when the car is stationary. I will have it looked at by the hona dealer to see if the shop that recharged it with gas yesterday didn't do a good job.

but I do think that the fans are not moving enough air over the condensor.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Civic ac is definately not weak, I have a Civic AT and the ac is an absolute chiller.
In the afternoons and even if the car is parked in the sun, the ac chills the cabin withing minutes.

Have it checked out at the Honda dealer and insist on them fixing the problem. Tell them (speak confidently) that you have checked out a number of Civic's and all the cars tested the ac is great.
A lot of times I have noticed the service guys to be vey lazy unless you know someone there or are really pushy.

Hope you get it sorted out - Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks