Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Crankshaft pulley (Damper Pulley)

Just yestreday at night all of a sudden the engine noise in my Fiesta 1.4 TDCI turns from a smooth murmur to a not so heart wrenching clatter so as to suggest that something is amiss, i have it checked with my Mech who suggests that its an issue with the Tensioner Pulley but on inspection today we see that the MAin Crankshaft pulley the one right at the bottom which runs all the other belts such as the AC the Alternator and powersteering belts is the main culprit for the clatter as it can be visibly seen that its not rotating Symettrically there is a slight wobble and so is the tensioner pulley causing the clatter in an otherwise perfect car.

Now my question is i Checked with SOUTH CITY ford Noida and they have given me an Estimate of 10 grand for the Crankshaft pulley and 5k for the Tensioner pulley. and this is all inclusive of labor, is there anything wrong with this scenario? Am i being ripped off or They are correct with their diagnosis?
Old 16th May 2011, 19:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Crankshaft pulley (Damper Pulley)

5k for Tensioner Pulley seems to be right. You can check my Fiesta ownership thread (Post 181) for a break up.

By the way, what is the odo at and is the car out of warranty?
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 19:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
5k for Tensioner Pulley seems to be right. You can check my Fiesta ownership thread (Post 181) for a break up.

By the way, what is the odo at and is the car out of warranty?
Unni i have gone through your thread its a treat to the eyes , Sadly the car is out off waranty , The Odo stands at 45k This is the first issue with the car! Otherwise its a Gem to drive in the city The A/C is a Chiller. Also the car tends to smoke a little under hard accelaration is it the same in your case or is it just me, Its running on Mobil 1 Delvac synth now.

The tensioner pulley am sure of, its the Damper pulley right below the Tensioner pulley that i am in Doubt about with regards to the cost. I could get it replaced at my garage also but then i dont want my Mech laying hands on it just yet
Old 16th May 2011, 20:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Unni i have gone through your thread its a treat to the eyes , Sadly the car is out off waranty , The Odo stands at 45k This is the first issue with the car! Otherwise its a Gem to drive in the city The A/C is a Chiller. Also the car tends to smoke a little under hard accelaration is it the same in your case or is it just me, Its running on Mobil 1 Delvac synth now.
Thanks Wild! Mine too smokes under hard acceleration, I guess all diesels do. Have seen even the best of brands smoke when accelerating hard.

Quote:
The tensioner pulley am sure of, its the Damper pulley right below the Tensioner pulley that i am in Doubt about with regards to the cost. I could get it replaced at my garage also but then i dont want my Mech laying hands on it just yet
These repairs are better done at the A** I guess. Infact, couple of weeks back, I did the 10th service at the A**, even though mine at 62k is out of warranty. Is there any other Ford A** you can go to for a second opinion?
Old 16th May 2011, 20:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Wild! Mine too smokes under hard acceleration, I guess all diesels do. Have seen even the best of brands smoke when accelerating hard.

These repairs are better done at the A** I guess. Infact, couple of weeks back, I did the 10th service at the A**, even though mine at 62k is out of warranty. Is there any other Ford A** you can go to for a second opinion?
Sadly you know how it is with Ford After sales! In a city like delhi we just have 3 Options I have checked with south city ford will check with Harpreet ford tommorow regarding pricing.

I am sure that it needs to be replaced its clearly visible that its wobbling! checked online and the same DAmper Pulley in UK retails for 70 Pounds thats roughly 6 grand.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:07   #6
BHPian

Did you check on the pricing and details?
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Did you check on the pricing and details?
Yup Got it Replaced yesterday the total for the parts was 15200 Approx and i was charged 1250 as labour. Parts replaced were
1. DAmper Pulley AKA as Crankshaft pulley damm thing costs 9 grand
2. Belt
3 Tensioner pulley
4 two bearings will post a detailed Bill breakup from my bill

Hope this benefits other Fiesta owners, Also i feel a lot of difference in driving the car now the power steering is a lot tighter it was a little vague earlier.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:50   #8
BHPian

I am having the same issue and going to take my car to Metro Ford, Bangalore. Not sure, these are parts issue or is it due to regular wear & tear.. I have clocked 84000 KMS so far.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am having the same issue and going to take my car to Metro Ford, Bangalore. Not sure, these are parts issue or is it due to regular wear & tear.. I have clocked 84000 KMS so far.
Bala its Wear and tear i guess becuase my Fiesta is also a 2006 Tdci and i had this issue at around 50 k Kms. Although the entire thing is very expensive if i remember right they charged me just 9 grand for the damper pulley . But then again this stuff cant be done outside by Local mechanics so we have to go to ford.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Bala its Wear and tear i guess becuase my Fiesta is also a 2006 Tdci and i had this issue at around 50 k Kms. Although the entire thing is very expensive if i remember right they charged me just 9 grand for the damper pulley . But then again this stuff cant be done outside by Local mechanics so we have to go to ford.
hmm yeah... i will update this thread once i get the clear picture from Ford service tomorrow.
Old 7th January 2012, 12:31   #11
BHPian

Update: Seems crankshaft pulley needs replacement. Moreover, its time to replace the timing belt as well. Overall quote is around 20k :(
Old 8th January 2012, 20:36   #12
BHPian

Got my car back from Metro Ford yesterday. Bill Amount was 22k+ :( - I don't have the bill copy now as there were some problems with their systems. Crankshaft pulley, timing belt and water pump got changed.

Overall - the car is now smooth to drive.
Old 24th February 2012, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Just gave my car for Timing belt change. My car has completed 68K so far. Estimated bill amount is 12K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks