Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 01:03   #91
BHPian

Re: Emergency driving - Without clutch

I've come across a situation of clutch hydraulic failure in my W123 Mercedes Benz, the flexi pipe connecting the master cylinder to the slave cylinder developed a crack which went unnoticed and it finally ripped apart. it was so bad i couldn't shift into any gear with the engine running even after pumping the clutch repeatedly, all it did was spew fluid all over the carpet. so then i decided to leave the car until its late enough for traffic to clear, and i returned with my dad to fetch the car at 1 AM. Yes, i Could not sleep as i was thinking of different ways to get the car home safely, so i had to drag my dad out of bed and took him along. We tried rowing the car with my dad's but the rope just wouldn't hold as it was too old. Now, i had no other option but to do things the hard way, i slot it into 1st with the engine off and then cranked the starter and got the car to move, in about 2 cranks the engine would start running and we had movement. I'd get the car to about 1500 rpms and shifted to 2nd smoothly, i shifted upto 3rd gear and kept moving at a good pace. But then, i knew there were a couple of working traffic lights even at this hour at the bypass road so i had to do stop. i simply took it off gear and coasted to the traffic light and stopped and switched off the engine. and when the lights went green i simply repeated the crank and move method and this time it was much effortless as the engine was warm so it fired up in just one crank. i managed to get home safely and the next day fitted a good flexi pipe and bled the clutch. the pipe was about 400 rupees and 250ml of fluid and i only took 20 mins to fit the pipe and with my dad pumping the clutch, I bled it and the car was up and running in just 30 mins. Job done!!
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 21:57   #92
BHPian

Hi All,

I drove 100+ kms today with a dysfunctional clutch, thanks to info in this thread.

Now, something doesn't make sense here. The car was serviced yesterday, and reportedly the clutch was 'not touched' and the clutch cable was greased (to remove some hardness). Today, the service technician 'fixed' the problem by replacing a (roughly) 4 inch cylindrical rubber valve attaching the cable to the clutch assembly. (Do not know the device by name)

I have been asked to come in for a complete checkup ("clutch needs replacement" + "Clutch assemblies do not have any performance guarantee" theories at work here. Plus labor charges)

I will update the petrolheads if this turns out to be a man-made problem. We don't deserve to be stranded in remote villages along deserted highways

Cheers !

PS: No, I do not ride the clutch, just in case you were thinking on those lines
Abhi_s80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:30   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_s80 View Post
.... Today, the service technician 'fixed' the problem by replacing a (roughly) 4 inch cylindrical rubber valve attaching the cable to the clutch assembly. (Do not know the device by name)....
Cylindrical 4" Rubber Valve?

Clutch cable usually end at a cam shaft at the housing end. But that is is not rubber. It can have a rubber boot at one end to protect from dust.

Do share picture of the part if you can
Old 24th April 2013, 10:20   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Cylindrical 4" Rubber Valve?

Clutch cable usually end at a cam shaft at the housing end. But that is is not rubber. It can have a rubber boot at one end to protect from dust.

Do share picture of the part if you can
Hi Sudev,

Pic from my 2005 Hyndai Santro given below.

This "rubber cylinder" is at the end of the clutch wire. The service guy tore the old one off (it came out in two pieces) and put in a new one. Lo and behold! trouble free driving for three days!

I'm searching for a diagrammatic breakdown of the Santro clutch assembly, haven't found anything yet.

The possible reasons for the failure are:
  1. The clutch wire was not taut enough after it was 'oiled' during last service (source: me)
  2. Pressure plate was not being pulled enough by the wire (source: me)
  3. The pressure plate has become 'hard' (source: SA at HASS, I can't imagine how that is possible in a clutch only 5k kms old)

I'm planning to drive around a few more days and see how the car holds up

Thanks,
Abhi
Attached Thumbnails
Emergency driving - Without clutch-clutch-wire.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks