Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 19:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Intercooler: benefits and spray cooling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor;2374554
@[B
1self[/b]: your point about sealing the escape routes is valid. But regarding directing the air, your method will work better on highways. For city traffic, a good stream of air on the rear surface of the IC may really help.
You are correct. But remember the IC needs to dissipate kilowatts of power as heat. A PC fan will just not cut it. A small radiator fan of an 800 or a/c fan will do the job.
Old 1st June 2011, 19:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@1self & Dhanush, thanks for that. Will definitely keep that in mind when I work on this. The SMPS fan was an example, but can you think of a better fan I can use ? Something small enough, yet one which can generate good flow ? I can also explore the possibility of running it on 12V if required.
Check the Gurkha thread Mohan has added an additional radiator fan since stock was not sufficient.

I think you can mount an additional radiator fan of some smaller vehicle ( 800 , Alto) and then create a channel to scoop air from radiator to IC ( Please use metal pipe not plastic / thermocol becuase that can create fire hazard)
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think you can mount an additional radiator fan of some smaller vehicle ( 800 , Alto) and then create a channel to scoop air from radiator to IC ( Please use metal pipe not plastic / thermocol becuase that can create fire hazard)
The fan and the channel has to be installed and routed in such a way that the fan draws ambient temperature air and both do not block the normal air flow to the intercooler or radiator.

Is that possible? With the space given? And even if its possible, is the delta change in temperature, by cooling the rear of the IC, worth the effort?
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Is that possible? With the space given? And even if its possible, is the delta change in temperature, by cooling the rear of the IC, worth the effort?
Yes it is very much possible. He won't be cooling the rear of the IC. He intends to install a fan there & draw air from the front of the IC to the rear.

Condor, if installing the fan it becomes imperative that you don't allow air to escape from anywhere but the IC area. Plastic & thermocol, as long as it is not touching any part of the turbo or exhaust, will be fine.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The fan and the channel has to be installed and routed in such a way that the fan draws ambient temperature air and both do not block the normal air flow to the intercooler or radiator.

Given the space in engine bay of Sumo it is fully possible , By installing a second radiator fan you can actually double the airflow like Mr. Mohan did in his Gurkha.

There will be additional electrical load of second fan which is not very high about how much effective it will be I don't really know if someone can implement and measure it is the only way out.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:28   #36
BHPian

This link is of a video that shows the reduction in temperature (tested on a dyno) by an intercooler spray.

This one's a silly DIY intercooler spray that actuay does the job.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th March 2016 at 23:53. Reason: Merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks