Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea MJD : Turbo whining sound?

I own a fiat multijet 2009 model. It has its service pending. There was a problem that i just noticed. Whenever i exceed the 2500 rpm mark and the turbo kicks in, i hear a wining sound. The sound is very similar to a high pressure gas leakage sound. Can anyone refer me about the cause of the sound. I feel that the pickup of the car has decreased in during the turbo kick. But that can also be because the service is pending. Please help!

To the mods: please merge it with any existing thread if required.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat linea multi jet help

Take the car in for a service the excessive whine you hear could be due to a clogged air filter.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is that a Turbo whine or air leakage noise? With the vehicle stationary and idling, ask someone to revv her up to this RPM, check the source of noise. Most probably the noise must be due to some leaks from the turbo -> intake manifold plumbing, check and let us know.

Spike
Old 16th June 2011, 14:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

How long has it been since the last service (time and kms)? And regarding the sound, yes its the turbo whine, it would have been there since the beginning. Is it unusually loud these days(periodic service pending)?.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Most probable issue may be a leak somewhere in the exhaust path to turbo or between turbo and air filter, including IC hoses. Have you noticed any dip in power? If air is leaking, it should cause lose of power also.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:17   #6
BHPian

thanks for the reply. the sound is ONLY heard when the turbo kicks in. yes, the sound could be heard earlier, but the intensity of the sound is more now days. the service is due for this week. i have observed a loss in power. where earlier crossing 100-120 km/hr wasn't a problem, but now it takes longer!

i had taken the car for service to rama motors, okhla, delhi. they refused to take the car for service saying that they don't have the filters and oil required for the service. i was told that the supply of the stock is due on 21st. so most probably i'll be taking the car on 22nd or after that.
Old 16th June 2011, 19:44   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^ Dear Singh

Avoid rama motors . they have no idea on how to service fiats. IMO the best for servicing fiat's in NCR is elegant motors in patparganj . try them . i am sure they will never dis-appoint you with such excuses . already many of bhpians in NCR get their cars services from them.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 20:14   #8
BHPian

thanks sushilkumar sir. can i get the contact details of the service center as i am unable to find it. i hope they are able to do the job well. i dont mind going from vasant kunj to patparganj to get the linea serviced if they offer quality service.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:03   #9
BHPian

oberoi motors, sector 1, noida might be a better idea.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 23:31   #10
BHPian

one question i had in mind, if there is a turbo leak in the vehicle, how much would i need to spend on the repairs?
Old 16th June 2011, 23:56   #11
BHPian

If its a leak just with the connecting clamps tightening them will be free but if the hoses themselves have sprung a leak then changing the hoses are going to be expensive lets say in the Rs 2000 range. Personally I feel it just requires tightening of clamps that lead from the turbo to the inter cooler or from the inter cooler to the inlet manifold.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:11   #12
BHPian

i hear the hissing sound. so that means that there is no problem with the functioning of the turbo. right? i just get a very very minute kick in the turbo range!
Old 17th June 2011, 00:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
one question i had in mind, if there is a turbo leak in the vehicle, how much would i need to spend on the repairs?
Why don't you just take it to the service centre first and then post back here. Tbhpians can't really diagnose and tell you the repair cost of the problem just like that. You can tell us what the a.s.s says and then members here can advise you.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:42   #14
BHPian

thanks for the reply sir. but i posted such a question as there could be a fellow member who could have faced a similar problem and could share his experience.

never the less, i would be visiting the service center on Monday and would be posting about the diagnosis and the expenditure on curing this problem.
Old 20th June 2011, 22:45   #15
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea MJD : Turbo whining sound?

FINALLY i visited the service center today. the turbo problem was diagnosed very quickly. the pipe from the turbo to the engine had a leakage. the whining sound was being produced when the high pressure gas was leaking from the damaged part. as my car was under warranty, the part was replaced free of cost.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks