Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Amaron battery Buying experience

Having read so much postive things about amaron batteries i decided to choose Amaron battery as the replacement for my current Optra 1.6 Petrol battery(AC Delco). The OEM battery gave me trouble free service for 5 years but was showing signs of aging.

So went to the Amaron website to find out what all models were available and what would be recommended for the car. When i chose the car model from the "Power Your ride" option it recommended the Pro-85D23R. No other model was recommended. On checking the list of available PRO models on their site I could not find the Pro-85D23R in the list.

So next step I called up the Amaron helpline to find out closest dealer to me. The caller gave me a number and name of a dealer in Mumbai who could provide service at my location.

When i called the dealer, he said 85D23R was stopped a long time back, in fact for the Optra petrol he added that the company had stopped production of Pro and FLo models, and that only a Go model was avialable. Found this very dicey so called the helpline back and told him all this.. he told that the dealer was probably out of stock and hence was advicing the GO model.. when i reminded him that the dealer was telling that the company stopped production of PRO and FLO models for Optra petrol.. he said he would check and put me on hold. 5 minutes later he comes back to say that the they cannot recommend models for cars and that they leave it to the dealer (since he is technical) to decided which battery is good for which car and if the dealer was saying GO model then GO model is the one to put in the car.

I tried putting a point that i understand the GO model would fit in the car but i was interested in a better Flo or Pro model.. but the helpine line guy kept saying that its better to go with the recommendation of Dealer since they are technical people and know better. He further added that the difference between PRO, FLO and GO is only the warranty period and the product was actually the same. I simply could not argue more. I just gave up, thanked him for his precious time and kept the phone.

Anyways since i needed a battery soon, i went ahead and put the GO model. Was suprised to find that even that was not a default fit, he had to hammer down a small protrusion in the bAttery bracket to ensure that it fitted well.

But overall the experience left a very bad taste about Amaron.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 16:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amaron battery Buying experience

I went through the same headache when buying my recent Amaron; pity that such good batteries are mated with a terrible sales experience.

When I met with a Senior Manager of Amaron, my first comment to him was "Implement a battery suggesting tool on your website!!" And one that's frequently updated. Last I checked, many cars were missing and the recommendations were way off too.

What's worse is that, at the time of buying my Jeep's battery, I knew exactly the model & spec I wanted. Forget the dealer, even the Amaron distributor insisted that what I'm asking for has never been manufactured at Amaron! This despite Moderator Samurai's Jeep running the exact same spec. After a whole lot of back & forth, only when I told them who recommended this model to me (an Amaron manager himself), they miraculously found my battery in their godown and sent it over.

Reminded me of the wretched buying experience with Premier Padminis, to be honest.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2011 at 16:41.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:00   #3

Recently i got the battery of my 2 years old swift dzire vdi replaced with an amron in jaipur. I too had an awkward experience but luckily the dealer was known to my friend who accompanied me to the shop. The dealer first fitted a DIN 66 in my car with 4 years warranty(2 years replacement + 2 years replacement after some deduction ) which to my surprise was smaller in size than the stock battery and was fitted with an additional metal plate to keep the battery in its place. I didn't quite like the idea so a few days later i went to some other battery shop and got the battery checked. This guy suggested that the battery was not apt for my car and would die off in about a year and can even cause damage to important electronics. So i went back to the shop along with my friend and had a discussion with the dealer, he finally revealed that there was a shortage of DIN 74 amron batteries and he was selling DIN 66 to all swift owners. We insisted upon changing the battery and he finally agreed and asked us to give him a call after some days. After about 20 days of regular calls to the dealer i finally got a proper size brand new DIN 74 after paying the difference. I don't know how apt is this new battery but it has been working fine so far and i am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:29   #4
BHPian

I have posted similar experience about Amaron in some other thread. I was searching for their Pitstop shop as per the address given on their website. But later found that it was closed down few months back. Website info was out of date.

I tried calling their helpline 3 times. No one attended the call. So that is where I stopped and gone back to Exide.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

The Amaron battery of my Jetta was shot, it was showing signs of failing and it just died on me.

The battery lasted 40 of the 48 months that had been guaranteed. This worked out to a 16% rebate as follows: 1-(40/48). I had the warranty card so I wanted to see what I would get.

Note Batterywala quoted Rs 8200 inclusive of exchange. I rang the helpline on Friday and registered my claim. Being a holiday weekend, I only got a call on Monday. Over the phone, I was quoted inclusive of the rebate Rs 6000. By afternoon, a new battery was fitted. The card was reviewed and tossed into the scooter cubby hole.

Great saving but am not sure whether this is an intentional customer retention ploy, if it is, it is a damn good one!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 19:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Amaron battery of my Jetta was shot, it was showing signs of failing and it just died on me.

The battery lasted 40 of the 48 months that had been guaranteed. This worked out to a 16% rebate as follows: 1-(40/48). I had the warranty card so I wanted to see what I would get.

Note Batterywala quoted Rs 8200 inclusive of exchange. I rang the helpline on Friday and registered my claim. Being a holiday weekend, I only got a call on Monday. Over the phone, I was quoted inclusive of the rebate Rs 6000. By afternoon, a new battery was fitted. The card was reviewed and tossed into the scooter cubby hole.

Great saving but am not sure whether this is an intentional customer retention ploy, if it is, it is a damn good one!
IIRC Exide has the same depreciating guarantee plan. Let's see if my Exide battery lasts the entire term though!

And you're right, brilliant tactic to hold on to customers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks