Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2006, 23:21   #1

Car Key Broken Inside Ignition..suggestions???

i have a maruti zen..i had a key which was on the verge of breaking and it was mistakingly used instead of my spare...when i tried removing it it didnt come out..so i drove teh car a bit and when i switched it off the key broke!.. there is a piece of it still stuck in the ignition hole and i cant start the car now..what suggestions can u guys give me.. its im,possible to take it out..what should i do?..it has central locking, and luckily its in the safetly of my house
Old 4th February 2006, 23:27   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superunknown
i have a maruti zen..i had a key which was on the verge of breaking and it was mistakingly used instead of my spare...when i tried removing it it didnt come out..so i drove teh car a bit and when i switched it off the key broke!.. there is a piece of it still stuck in the ignition hole and i cant start the car now..what suggestions can u guys give me.. its im,possible to take it out..what should i do?..it has central locking, and luckily its in the safetly of my house
Do you have any tools ?
If you have got a good long nose plier, or a good set of tweezers, you can use that to pull the broken bit out of the ignition.
Be careful when doing it, u might push it in further!

Better would be to get the local chaviwalla who u trust and ask him to pull the bit out...

Best would be to go to the maruti authorised service center and get one of those guys home to get it done for you.
Old 4th February 2006, 23:45   #3

thanx falcon..ill try wot u sed..have u faced a similar situation?..
Old 5th February 2006, 07:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
thanx falcon..ill try wot u sed..have u faced a similar situation?..
Yes i have, not in the car, but in locks at home.
Let me know what worked for you...
Old 5th February 2006, 10:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
...the key broke!.. there is a piece of it still stuck in the ignition hole and i cant start the car now..what suggestions can u guys give me...
DISCLAIMER: I am about to advise you a minimally invasive surgical technique which requires supreme care and surgical precision and skill. Try this advice at your own risk! It worked for me several years back when my ignition key broke inside while trying to restart a disused Kinetic Honda.

Apply half-a-drop of FeviQwiK (the cyanoacrylate super glue from Fevicol available at any hardware shop) to the free end of the key (still in your hand). Tell your prayers and invoke His blessings. Re-insert into the ignition hole (or what's left of it). Allow reunion/ bondage to take place in-situ (allow 10 minutes). Pull out. Breath easy. Thank Him!

As with all surgical procedures, realise what complications can happen. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are known as "super glues" not without a reason. It can stick metal to metal or metal to skin or skin to skin. Do not let even a micro droplet to overflow outside the broken cross-section, else your key will be bonded to the ignition cylinder. Take care not to spill even a micro droplet on your skin, else you will require a maximally invasive surgery.

Best of luck! Let me know if the operation was successful and if the patients have survived...

Last edited by msprabhakar : 5th February 2006 at 11:02.
Old 5th February 2006, 22:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
i m not sure this will help but if the key which is inside the ignition hole is in normal position then try using a powerful magnet to pull out the part which is inside the hole, the magnet might be able to pull it out.

hope this helps.

shubbhi
Old 5th February 2006, 22:15   #7
BHPian

I would suggest call a local keywala first,if he can't handle it,go ahead with the experts..(Maruti Authorized Service/On-Road Assistance).
Also,the feviquik idea,as someone posted seems like a minimally invasive surgical procedure,but with a very very high degree of complications !..so,I personally wouldn't opt for that..!
Keep us updated on what happens.

Cheers,
-sr
Old 5th February 2006, 23:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
i m not sure this will help but if the key which is inside the ignition hole is in normal position then try using a powerful magnet to pull out the part which is inside the hole, the magnet might be able to pull it out.

hope this helps.

shubbhi
no manaa, problem with that is, a very large magnet will be required to generate enough force to pull out that metal part (which is holded tightly inside)
but if you can somehow get electromagnet there, then it might be different story (highly unpracticle though)

best choice call Maruti people, second choice industrial adhesive but you must know what you are doing

ps: what were you doing by keeping half broken key ?
Old 6th February 2006, 10:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
DISCLAIMER: I am about to advise you a minimally invasive surgical technique which requires supreme care and surgical precision and skill. Try this advice at your own risk! It worked for me several years back when my ignition key broke inside while trying to restart a disused Kinetic Honda.

Apply half-a-drop of FeviQwiK (the cyanoacrylate super glue from Fevicol available at any hardware shop) to the free end of the key (still in your hand). Tell your prayers and invoke His blessings. Re-insert into the ignition hole (or what's left of it). Allow reunion/ bondage to take place in-situ (allow 10 minutes). Pull out. Breath easy. Thank Him!

As with all surgical procedures, realise what complications can happen. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are known as "super glues" not without a reason. It can stick metal to metal or metal to skin or skin to skin. Do not let even a micro droplet to overflow outside the broken cross-section, else your key will be bonded to the ignition cylinder. Take care not to spill even a micro droplet on your skin, else you will require a maximally invasive surgery.

Best of luck! Let me know if the operation was successful and if the patients have survived...
I think this shud work... even i was thinking exactly like this.
Old 6th February 2006, 11:03   #10

hehe thanks "DR" msprabhakar..the idea seems good enough but honestly it scares the c**p outta me!.. the problem is that before the key actually broke it was stuck inside..i will try and get it rectified by the a service centre first..thanks for all the suggestions neway
Old 6th February 2006, 14:11   #11
DRC
BHPian

I had a similar situation when the key broke inside the keyhole of my office rack.. Luckily it was open, and got the lock key assly replaced.. MOS should be the best way out..
Old 12th February 2006, 23:57   #12

hey just thought ya'll shud know that the key problem was fixed..turns out that the entire assembly dint need to be replaced, the broken bit of key was removed in a couple of minutes using a pair of twisted wires...and just for safety sake i got an extra key made... total damage rs 100..thanks agen for ur suggestions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks