Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2011, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Today I was stuck in a traffic jam on outer ring road and it was very heavily raining. Water started leaking into the car on the front passenger side at the place where the passenger's feet are placed. Water seems to be coming from somewhere behind the glove box. I first thought it was due to air vent open (in external air circulation mode), but changing it to internal circulation did not help.

It also appears that with wipers running at full speed, the water that was pushed aside by the wiper is coming inside. Something that should be blocking the water from coming inside is broken or missing. Any pointers please?
Old 25th June 2011, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Today I was stuck in a traffic jam on outer ring road and it was very heavily raining. Water started leaking into the car on the front passenger side at the place where the passenger's feet are placed. ..... Any pointers please?
Hi Mohan,

I have a getz prime and I too faced a similar issue. Took it to the service center and they made a quick diagnosis and rectified it in short time. Basically it is leaves, dust that have collected over a period of time below the area through which the water drains. So since their main passage is blocked, they find an alternate route which is through the air entry for the AC blowers (I might be a little off the mark in the diagnosis though, since it was quite some time back I faced this issue).

Hope it helps.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 21:17   #3
BHPian

Thank you @ZedMae. What you are saying could be a likely cause of the issue. However I was not experiencing this issue 2 months back, which is the last time I recall it was out in the rain. I will be able to take it to service center on Monday. Hopefully it will be a quick one to fix. Until then I can try some DIY for this!
Old 26th June 2011, 11:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Hi Mohan,

I have a getz prime and I too faced a similar issue. Took it to the service center and they made a quick diagnosis and rectified it in short time. Basically it is leaves, dust that have collected over a period of time below the area through which the water drains. So since their main passage is blocked, they find an alternate route which is through the air entry for the AC blowers (I might be a little off the mark in the diagnosis though, since it was quite some time back I faced this issue).

Hope it helps.

cheers
@ZedMae, you were spot on about the cause of the issue. I opened the black cover where the rain water drains and found lot of dirt with small sticks and leaves. After I completely cleaned them, i could see some holes which were getting blocked by these dirt. Amazing the dirt can totally block flow of water like that. After cleaning, I poured lot of water there and all the water now comes out at the back of the left wheel. None of it now came inside the car.

Thank you again!
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 14:32   #5
BHPian

I faced a similar issue yesterday with my BIL's Getz, I had parked in a parking and after the rain poured for 2 hrs and I came and saw that the car was sub-merged in water upto half of the wheels, apparently this was the lowest spot in that whole area. There was water in all of the floor bed, upto 4 inches high. Somehow, drove the car out of that and got the water removed. I don't know what exactly is passage of the rain water into the car since I was not there to see it coming in, it must have seeped in through the door gaps. Is there a T-Bhp pointer as to what should be done in such situations ?
Old 26th June 2011, 18:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@ZedMae, you were spot on about the cause of the issue. I opened the black cover where the rain water drains and found lot of dirt with small sticks and leaves. After I completely cleaned them, i could see some holes which were getting blocked by these dirt. Amazing the dirt can totally block flow of water like that. After cleaning, I poured lot of water there and all the water now comes out at the back of the left wheel. None of it now came inside the car.

Thank you again!
Wow. Glad you solved it the DIY way.

cheers
Old 26th June 2011, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am facing the same issue on the driver side. can someone kindly point out where to find the water drain cover??
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:42   #8

Hi Mohan, I have a Getz Gls and facing the same issue. Could you snap a pic of the water drain and send it to me. Its been raining heavy in Chennai and going to a Hyundai service centre is the last thing I wish to do. Look forward to your reply. I wish to resolve it myself. Thank you.
CarCrazy7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Having owned a Getz, I have faced similar problems. I dont have any pictures to ellaborate the location of the water drain but if you remove the plastic cladding below the wipers, the hole is on the right side when facing the car. My memory tells me that it was on the navigators side only so am unsure how water seeps into the drivers side in Undead's car. Its good to ensure that area is cleaned often because the hole is quite small and gets blocked easily making it hard for the water to drain.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy7 View Post
Hi Mohan, I have a Getz Gls and facing the same issue. Could you snap a pic of the water drain and send it to me. Its been raining heavy in Chennai and going to a Hyundai service centre is the last thing I wish to do. Look forward to your reply. I wish to resolve it myself. Thank you.
As mentioned by @Fullrevs, if you remove the plastic cladding on the navigator side (you have to open the bonnet to access it IIRC), you will see a hole where you can put your fingers and remove any leaves and dirt that blocks the water drain hole.

I have sold off that car and it is not with me anymore to snap the pics from my car. I found a suitable image from internet and marked the area if that helps.
Attached Images

mohan41 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mohan. I have posted a similar picture in another thread (which strangely addresses the same problem). I was however not sure if the drain holes were on both sides. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 11:57   #12

Mohan41 and Fullrevs, I would like to thank both of you for helping me out here. I have for the benefit of any future reader, putting pictures of what i found and the post cleaned up pictures.

I am glad I could do it myself. On another note, is it a fair expectation that when you give your car for servicing, the service centre should clean this area ?

I found accumulated mud/dust of a long time.

I have posted pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0618.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0619.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0620.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0621.jpg  

Rain water leaking into the car (Getz Prime) on the front passenger side-img_0622.jpg  

CarCrazy7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 12:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy7 View Post
Mohan41 and Fullrevs, I would like to thank both of you for helping me out here. I have for the benefit of any future reader, putting pictures of what i found and the post cleaned up pictures.

I am glad I could do it myself. On another note, is it a fair expectation that when you give your car for servicing, the service centre should clean this area ?

I found accumulated mud/dust of a long time.

I have posted pictures.

This post is a blessing, I stay in a different city, and my father was facing this issue with his car, I take the car to service, so it was difficult to point that issue with local mech, In fact I had this cover broken which i bought a new one, now this is a DIY I would to do when i reach Hyderabad to solve the problem. Thank to Team-bhp which helps us so much.
Old 24th May 2015, 13:07   #14
BANNED

A very worthy discussion. This drain area if not cleaned periodically, will give way for rust formation. Thanks for all the participating folks. It was enlightening and made a good read.

Siddeeq

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks