Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Problem with my Santro's Automatic transmission

Hi,

I have 2003 automatic santro. Running is about 40K.
The car was OK till few months ago.
In month of May I decided to replace gear oil due to low pickup.
It was done by my local garage guy - who 1st got the knowledge and then changed it.
The car ran smoothly for few weeks.
Once during rain while driving, the car stopped to respond and came to halt.
I was able to change gears, but the car didnt go forwards.
If I allowed the car to "cool" by waiting for say 10 mins, and then start, after engaging the drive, the car move forward for short distance and then used to "go in neutral" (means I got a feel that the gears are no more engaged).
Towed the car to garage guy.
The guy worked on it by decreasing/increasing the oil level etc. The car used to run for a km or so and then again "disengage".
The garage guy also contacted hyundai and they too tried things like ecu reset and stuff.
But the problem persists.
The hyundia guys are saying that new gear box needs to be installed - which would cost 1.3 lacs!
I am now lost as to what can be done.
Can anyone help in this case? Anyone who know of similar issues which got solved by replacing some sensor or components? Or can anyone pl direct me to some car guru who will diagnose and provide a good and cheap solution?
Thanks in advance.
Old 29th June 2011, 23:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help - Automatic Santro Transmission Problem

Please check Samurai's i10 AT ownership thread- he had a similar problem if I recall. It got fixed after a lot of hemming and hawing from Hyundai's side.

Why didn't you get it serviced at HAS? I wouldn't allow a local mechanic to touch an AT that he probably doesn't know much about.
Old 29th June 2011, 23:52   #3

Automatics use ATFs (Automatic Transmission Fluid) not the normal gear oil. Can you confirm that the oil used by your workshop guy was Hyundai specified ATF? If not it can cause transmission failure.

Usually the ATF color is pink and discoloration towards brown is indicative of oil requiring replacement. Check the color of oil and smell it to see if it smells burnt. In case yes you may have to go for a transmission rebuild. But the catch is that in India we dont have shops doing the transmission rebuilds. Finding a person willing to do it could be difficult.

I drive a Honda AT and know that honda has a special formulation for their AT boxes and the over the counter ATF does not work with it. Just guessing it could be true for Hyundai as well.

One thing that you may try could be to do a complete change of oil in the transmission with correct oil type. Remember that by dropping the nut on the oil pan of transmission gets rid of only fraction of total oil. Much of the oil remains in the torque converter. To get all the oil out you may need to 1) drain all oil by loosening the tranmission oil pan nut 2) fill transmission to required level 3) run the car for some distance say 5 km to mix all oil 4) do 1, 2, 3 upto 3 times.

A better way could be to find if Hyundai has a machine that can be hooked in transmission fluid lines of AT and replace old fluid through natural fluid circulation of AT. This is the most preffered way if available.

hope it gets sorted for you this way.
427Cubes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 00:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the torque converter is not engaging after a certain point. Are you sure you let the correct guy handle the AT gearbox? Did he use the correct amount / type of ATF (automatic transmission fluid)?
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Problem with my Santro's Automatic transmission

@subscrive:

I suspect your local garage guy has put gear oil as you said in your post. Santro AT requires the same fluid as used in the Santro Power Steering pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks