Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Odometer Inaccuracies

Yeah, sort of. The above point is also a reason for preference over positive error over negative error. We have to keep in mind that the instrument cluster / components provided by a supplier may be used in various platforms of a particular OEM.

Spike
Old 30th June 2011, 20:34   #17
BHPian

I have the following free GPS based speedometer installed in my HTC mobile, a software downloaded from Android market.
http://market.android.com/details?id...=search_result
Several times I have seen that in my car the speedometer displays 110 KMPH when the GPS shows 100! And I have not upsized my tires.
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 30th June 2011, 23:31   #18
BHPian

My car's speedometer is calibrated to be +10% of true value under most circumstances. Checked with Satnav system & GPS enabled phone. Tripmeter readings don't deviate more than the nearest hundred but, there is actually no way to verify the exact magnitude of deviation as there is only one digit after decimal.
Old 1st July 2011, 00:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

When the Palio NV (the purple colored one) was launched, there were reports about Fiat calibrating the odo reading as it would show a bit more kilometers than it actually covered.

Reason? A slight bump while calculating FE figures so that owners would feel happy that their Palios are fuel efficient too.
Old 1st July 2011, 01:00   #20
BHPian

I have not noticed any Odometer error with my Palio SDX (Stock tires) but I have observed that post getting my Garmin unit the Top Speed that the Car touched was 140 kmph on the Speedo and on the GPS it showed the max speed of only 134 kmph which I guess is a minor error.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedometers & Odometers are always manufactured with some tolerance (I'm not sure on the need though)

Even tyre wear affects speedo/odo readings. Approximately for every 1mm of tyre wear 0.5% error gets accumulated (recheck this values from the dynamic rolling radius of tyres)
Old 1st July 2011, 11:31   #22
BHPian

The instrument cluster has tolerances. Some leading auto magazines even publish the actual/measured values in their reviews. I would trust a GPS for distance/speed measurements over odo.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
I would trust a GPS for distance/speed measurements over odo.
AFAIK, GPS systems available commercially does not count the road gradient, and hence always will give slightly less than actual readings.
Old 1st July 2011, 17:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
AFAIK, GPS systems available commercially does not count the road gradient, and hence always will give slightly less than actual readings.
That is a very valid point to consider. Natural gradient + man made gradient et. al.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks