Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 10:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Sump guards : An extinct species?

Reviving an old thread.

Searching for an engine sump guard for my Grand i10 came across this.

Is it worth it?
Old 25th June 2016, 21:20   #32
BHPian

The i10 shown in the picture looks very different from the Indian spec one.

Have you got any other information on where to get these sump guards fabricated?

I am planning a Leh-Ladakh circuit this year on my Etios Liva/Swift, and would rather be safe than sorry on this part!
Old 25th June 2016, 21:38   #33
BHPian

Even i asked the sales person at VW showroom at bangalore regarding the sump guard that was missing in Polo. He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
Not sure about his explanation though.Can anyone tell me if he has a valid point?
Old 25th June 2016, 22:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
Not sure about his explanation though.Can anyone tell me if he has a valid point?
No. That's him being very creative.

The sump guard is a victim of cost cutting. No other reasons other than that. And I guess the sump guard also reduces the ground clearance a bit in the spec sheet, which is very important for a car to sell here. LOL
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 10:32   #35
BHPian

My 2009 Honda City doesn't have a sump guard. Moreover, like most Hondas, it has low GC.

In 2012, while driving to Nashik, I took a turn into a cafe, but misjudged the road ahead. As a result, a huge rock hit the oil sump. Since I was used to the underbody touching Mumbai's speed breakers, I ignored it. When I came out of the cafe an hour later, there was a huge puddle of oil under the car!

By this time, it was already 8 pm. Luckily Honda's roadside assistance was very helpful and efficient during the entire process. They arranged for the car to be towed to the nearest service center, and provided a car (Xylo) along with a driver to get us back to the hotel. The next morning, the Xylo was waiting outside the hotel at 9 am. The car was repaired and ready by 4 pm. This incident made me glad that I chose Honda!

But I feel that the sump guard should've been there in the first place, and manufacturers need to stop cutting costs in such vital areas.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 10:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
The i10 shown in the picture looks very different from the Indian spec one.

Have you got any other information on where to get these sump guards fabricated?

I am planning a Leh-Ladakh circuit this year on my Etios Liva/Swift, and would rather be safe than sorry on this part!
Even I have been searching for some place, but I do not want to get it welded. I need something which can fit with the existing nuts and bolts, keeping warranty in mind.

Hope Hyundai reads this!
Old 27th June 2016, 20:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Even i asked the sales person at VW showroom at bangalore regarding the sump guard that was missing in Polo. He replied that the engine breathes well if there is no sump guard.
The good thing about the Polo is that it is easy to retrofit a sump guard. You can order the one that the diesel 1.2 TDIs came with (not sure if the 1.5 TDI still does) and it should be a simple bolt on.

Talk to someone at VW A.S.S.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 12:59   #38
BHPian

Hello there,

I recently got a carbon fibre sump guard installed in my 1.2L petrol Polo (2015 model). I wasn't planning on it though; I had just gone to the VW service station to get the car looked at before going on a road trip from Gurgaon to Dehradun (and back). The service guy recommended that I get it installed, saying it offered protection of the engine when driving on bad roads. I was a bit apprehensive at first but then decided to go for it.

My main concern was the possibility of the engine overheating due to lack of ventilation under the engine, though the guard did have some kind of an opening that would let some air through. I did inquire about it with the service guy before installation, who assured me that shouldn't be a problem. He was obviously trying to sell the product but I reckoned that VW wouldn't sell an accessory like that without testing it properly in Indian conditions, and probably would've accounted for the heat of Indian summer in their tests. Thankfully, I didn't face any overheating issues in my trip to Dehradun (I drove around end-May so it was quite hot). However, I couldn't help but wonder whether it's possible for the engine to overheat in the future, even though it didn't in my last trip! (My old Ikon's engine once overheated on a busy road in Delhi - which was a result of the cooling fan going kaput - and trust me, that was a nightmarish experience!)

I know, this is me being a bit too careful perhaps but I would really appreciate if anybody who's used a sump guard for a long time could let me know if they've faced any overheating issues in their engine which were attributed directly to the guard? (I also know I should've asked this question before getting the guard installed!) I plan on going on more road trips during the summers so I guess a bit of reassurance would be a good thing to have!

Thanks!
Old 5th June 2019, 13:51   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
I recently got a carbon fibre sump guard installed in my 1.2L petrol Polo (2015 model)...
I have a Vento with the 1.6 TDi engine and it comes with an engine guard. Always thought all VW's had it.
Quote:
... if they've faced any overheating issues in their engine which were attributed directly to the guard?..
Don't worry. As long as the radiator, the water pump and the engine fan, temperature sensors are in top shape you won't have any heating issues.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:06   #40
BHPian

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The service guy said that VW plan on making it standard in Polo as well, but then maybe that was part of his selling strategy!
Old 31st January 2020, 12:18   #41
BHPian

Re: Engine Splash Guard for your 4x4

Hi Forum Gurus. I have just purchased a Suzuki Ciaz 1.5 P alpha variant. As you are all aware, you open the bonnet of the car and you see the road below. There is no underbody protection for the engine bay. Can I get a plastic one fitted aftermarket on my car? Is it going to be useful? Will it affect the engine performance as heat may go up in the engine bay because of insulation? Can someone answer all these queries please? The most important part is Can anyone suggest where can I get hold of the spare in Kerala..
born.4thnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 10:37   #42
BHPian

I am also looking for a sump guard for my Honda City 2012. Had a very bad experience recently during my Hyderabad trip when I followed Google Maps and took a right turn only to realize the cement road ended abruptly and ended up crashing almost a foot down ending up puncturing my oil sump. Had a really harrowing experience and somehow managed to get it changed at a nearby service center and ended up paying much higher and wasting a whole day and half. From that time I have been searching for one but not getting any leads. I stay in Bangalore and would appreciate if any of our fellow Bhpians can help me with any leads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks