Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 18:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo - Steering dancing at low speeds

@Noopster
Tire pressure is not abnormally lower than recommended. It is just that phase during 15-days air-refill period when pressure goes a couple of psi down.

@dhanushs
I am 'feeling the road' a bit more than expected. I also have a 2002 Santro with power steering (which too is hydraulic). I don’t experience the same road feeling on it.

The tires and rims are stock.

@Chewbacca
Yes, the stone hit somewhere between both front wheels and I did feel it on the steering though it was not a juddering feeling.

I plan to take the following steps.
1. Correct the air-pressure and verify wheel alignment
2. Show it to Ford service center

Will post an update later.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:27   #17
BHPian

Good news guys. The problem is solved.

I went to check the wheel-alignment and balancing. Upon removing the front left wheel, saw a big dent to the rim from inside (I hadn't noticed any dents to any rims from outside). The rim was corrected using the famous hammer-job. The shop-owner was keen to check if the tire is damaged. Got the tire removed and checked. Thankfully, no damage to the tire. All wheels are balanced and since tires are 5.5K km run, did the tire-rotation too. Wheel alignment also done.

During wheel alignment, checked if there is any damage to the underbody. Thankfully, there was no visible damage other than some scrape-marks on the side-rails of the frame (don't know what are they called). The shop-owner mentioned that there is nothing to worry and all steering components look ok.

So to sum it up, the steering wheel wobbling was due to bent rim. It got fixed by correcting it and wheel alignment/balancing.

Thanks for all the help.
RishikeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
So to sum it up, the steering wheel wobbling was due to bent rim. It got fixed by correcting it and wheel alignment/balancing.

Thanks for all the help.
Forgot to mention, I got the alignment/balancing done at Lokamanya Tyres (off Karve Road, Pune). Their Karve road facility has only wheel balancing machinery whereas alignment can be done at their facility located off Tilak Road. The owner (Ashish Kulkarni) is gem of a person and guided me in all possible ways. I would highly recommend Lokamanya Tyres.

Thanks.

(Moderators - please merge this reply with the earlier one as appropriate. Thanks.)
Old 28th March 2012, 15:59   #19
OEM
BHPian

Strange sound from the steering

Guys, help

My figo will be a year old in May (8550 kms) on the ODO. Off late I have been finding the steering hard. There is also a noise emanating from the steering as if the bushes are rubbing hard. And it happen at all times...when i turn the car very slowly in either direction (usually while pulling out of the parking slot)I dont hear the sound when the car is in running.

Any ideas why this happens?
Old 28th March 2012, 16:10   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Strange sound from the steering

Looks like the Power Steering fluid is over.

Have the car checked; there could be a leak in the PS pump. Ideally, the fluid cannot be consumed so quickly so there should be a leak somewhere. Fixing the leak and topping up the PS Fluid will resolve the problem.

This shouldn't cost you much (depends on exact source of leak though).

Since the assembly is a mechanical part, try to get it checked soon enough.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My figo will be a year old in May (8550 kms) on the ODO. Off late I have been finding the steering hard. There is also a noise emanating from the steering as if the bushes are rubbing hard. And it happen at all times...when i turn the car very slowly in either direction (usually while pulling out of the parking slot)I dont hear the sound when the car is in running.

Any ideas why this happens?
Please check your PS fluid level(I don't believe there can be an issue so soon,but still..)

Also get your tyre pressures checked and then check again for steering effort.

If your parking slot is in the open,the sound of rubber-rubber contact could be due to heat
Old 28th March 2012, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Do you hear the sound only when you are steering the car when nearly stationary in your parking spot? I am asking this because there is a possibility that the floor surface treatment in your parking causes such sounds when rubber rubs on it. Check if you get that rubber-on-rubber squealing sound when you are parked on the road? Or on hard mud?
Old 28th March 2012, 20:37   #23
BHPian

Please check if noise is coming only after engine is running. If yes,
1. check power steering oil level.
2. If level ok., Check if noise is from pump?
3. Belt loose?

If noise is in engine off condition check for noise in steering rack. Check if there is play in the rack. But it is unlikely to happen because your car has run only 8550 Kms.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:49   #24
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo - Steering Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
However, during recent trip to Alibaug with 5 people onboard, the car had 3/4 underbody scrapes (including one big stone right in the middle of expressway which went from under the front wheels with a loud thud).
One of my friends reported a similar problem in his Figo (35K Kms run) a couple of days back. He took it to the Service Station, and the technician zeroed it down to a malfunction in the Steering Box.

He said that,
1. It could be a manufacturing defect,
2. Or, since the Figo has low ground clearance, the steering box might have suffered some physical injury due to something hitting the underbody.
3. This part is covered under warranty, so it would be done free of cost, as his car is under 40K Kms, else, the cost of replacement would have been around 30K.

Last edited by RevvMusic : 29th March 2012 at 16:11.
Old 11th May 2012, 18:59   #25
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo - Steering Problem

Actually , I faced this problem too in my Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi . I took it to ther service centre and they weren't much helpfull . I aligned the wheels again and it was little better . I put on a Sparco Steering Cover on it , Changed to HRS Alloys and now the car feels normal.

PS : The Sparco Cover is worth every penny !
Old 31st May 2013, 14:16   #26
BHPian

Ford Figo steering problems

this is a call to any Figo owner/user/friend of troubled figo owner who sees this.

My car is 4 months old and has done about 4000kms. For the last few days, my steering feel has been very sloppy. At low speeds, it doesn't turn in properly, it needs an extra hand to make it around a turn completely. This is probably at low speeds and there is no issue at higher speeds.

However, in town, in traffic, around parking, at u-turns, i need to be give that extra input to make sure the car is going in the right direction.

Does anyone know what could cause this phenomenon? has anyone had a problem like this which you dealer managed to resolve?

I chose the Figo for its superior handling and steering feedback. I couldn't get myself to pay for a Punto, though I think its probably the best vehicle in its class.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo steering problems

What exactly is the problem?
do you have to put in more effort to turn the wheel, or do you require more locks than usual to make slow speed turns?
If the first, you should check your PS unit, for leakages, the pump, the fluid level.
If the second, then you may have bigger problems with the linkages and rack etc.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

I would check wheel alignment as being the first thing if i were you. Hit a bump hard lately ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 14:30   #29
BHPian

Since you mentioned there is no issues at high speeds, please check the air pressure. Maintain atleast 30psi on all 4.
Next, check your alignment. Even after these if it doesnt work, then only look at the mechanical issues
Old 31st May 2013, 14:44   #30
BHPian

Ravi, first of all the new figo's steering assist characteristics have been dramatically changed compared to the older ones. The on centre feel now is terrible, but the effort required to steer has been greatly reduced, i believe this is the result of customer feedback. Drive a pre facelift figo back to back and the steering effort change stands out glaringly. Coming to your issue though, start by checking simple things like tyre air pressure and then go to ur dealer and check the rack friction (tighten the st. retainer bolt if reqd).
If its not resolved still, then check the Torsion bar as it is this component that directly controls your steering assist.

And it would also help if you could explain the problem a lil better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks