Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 22:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HUGE clunk sound during reversing in my Toyota Altis

If parking brakes are drum as SirAlec pointed out, then the sound is indeed coming from them getting stuck.

" For some reason, I felt it might be the brakes,so pumped the brakes a little and then tried again. Initially there was resistance but later I heard a "thwang" and the car moved normally. I stopped again and checked the underside, suspensions etc. Grossly, they looked normal. I restarted the car and took her for a spin. She rode normally "

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2424467

Another case where the same sound is heard, and the park brakes are drum type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I've googled about this and the fault seems to be witht the CV joints or the transmission mounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
If CV joints go bad then a continuous "clack clack" sound comes from the front wheels. CV joints dont go bad so fast, it should last for 100000+ kilometers.
If the CV joints are shot, you will hear the 'kat-kat-kat' sound when the steering is on full lock and front wheels are driven.

@dot, CV joints indeed last long, but then, if the boot is damaged, the life will be drastically reduced. That is why, it is very important to check the condition of drive-shaft boot every now and then, especially during routine service.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 10:58   #17
BANNED

Thank you everyone, for the replies.
I'm going to check the boot today and see if there is a tear or some kind of damage. If the boot is completely sealed(not torn) then I shouldn't worry about the CV-joint correct?
Old 18th July 2011, 12:51   #18
BHPian

You might try not using the handbrake overnight and check if the problem persists. I experience similar problems in my Swift sometimes when handbrake is engaged and car not used for few days. The problem occurs only in monsoon which suggests the handbrake does not dis-engage immediately when you release it.

I would rule out transmission mounts going bad since you say the car runs smoothy.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 22:20   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
You might try not using the handbrake overnight and check if the problem persists. I experience similar problems in my Swift sometimes when handbrake is engaged and car not used for few days. The problem occurs only in monsoon which suggests the handbrake does not dis-engage immediately when you release it.

I would rule out transmission mounts going bad since you say the car runs smoothy.
Well I can't really cease using the handbrake because the car is parked on a somewhat uneven area. I see you also have an Altis, have you ever experienced anything like this?
Old 18th July 2011, 22:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC

Well I can't really cease using the handbrake because the car is parked on a somewhat uneven area. I see you also have an Altis, have you ever experienced anything like this?
No, I haven't experienced this in my Altis. You should have this checked at the service centre.

Do you see the rear (or front) discs showing any signs of rusting?
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 03:44   #21
BHPian

Hi,

You could getting the sound due to a lot of reasons. It could be something in your boot space moving around, could be handbrake fault, a worn out drive shaft, burnt clutch or even suspension failure. Do a thorough check and find the fault before it leads to more serious damage.
speedfreak7116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 08:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's what happens:
Turn car on -> Release Handbrake -> Put gear in R -> Slowly release clutch -> Car moves an inch back -> CLUNKKKKKKKK.
My car (a 2008 Altis) makes this loud CLUNK noise after it is parked overnight or a long time after a wash.

It is the calipers that stick to the disc rotors when water goes in and dries causing a light coat of rust on the rotors. Don't worry too about it, nothing has broken. It is not serious as long as you dont find any drag on the car once the noise goes away and you make sure the parking brake lever/handle is completely released.

Unlike the 9g Corolla that has a small drum assembly @ the rear for parking brake, IFAIK the Altis parking brake assembly actuates the rear brake calipers.

In fact now that you brought this up I will get the assembly checked during the next service due in Oct as I can hear some light scraping noise from the RHS wheel whilst driving in a silent area and past a wall when the noise reflects off the wall making it easier to hear.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2011 at 08:23.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 08:41   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
No, I haven't experienced this in my Altis. You should have this checked at the service centre.

Do you see the rear (or front) discs showing any signs of rusting?
No , nothing is rusting on the car. But I think it's not too big of a problem , as R2D2 says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Hi,

You could getting the sound due to a lot of reasons. It could be something in your boot space moving around, could be handbrake fault, a worn out drive shaft, burnt clutch or even suspension failure. Do a thorough check and find the fault before it leads to more serious damage.
It's just a little problem with the handbrake as R2d2 says, and I'm going to have the mechanics check it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My car (a 2008 Altis) makes this loud CLUNK noise after it is parked overnight or a long time after a wash.

It is the calipers that stick to the disc rotors when water goes in and dries causing a light coat of rust on the rotors. Don't worry too about it, nothing has broken. It is not serious as long as you dont find any drag on the car once the noise goes away and you make sure the parking brake lever/handle is completely released.

Unlike the 9g Corolla that has a small drum assembly @ the rear for parking brake, IFAIK the Altis parking brake assembly actuates the rear brake calipers.

In fact now that you brought this up I will get the assembly checked during the next service due in Oct as I can hear some light scraping noise from the RHS wheel whilst driving in a silent area and past a wall when the noise reflects off the wall making it easier to hear.

Regards,
I think this is exactly what's happening. If I can remember correctly this happened only when it rained or the wheels have been in water , where the water level was up to the calipers.

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone! I tried moving the car in the forward gears and then reversing, there was no clunk . I noticed it's happening only when the car isn't used for a while or it has been in water upto the calipers. I'll follow the practice of going forward then reversing until the next service due.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 19th July 2011 at 08:43.
Old 19th July 2011, 10:43   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried moving the car in the forward gears and then reversing, there was no clunk . I noticed it's happening only when the car isn't used for a while or it has been in water upto the calipers.
Great to know that the "issue" is solved.
This is exactly why I was asking if the noise comes during forward motion also. With calipers getting stuck due to water drying up on them, the noise will come in both directions.

Typically we employ car washers to clean our cars in the morning. Normally they pour and splash water on the tires. If the car is not moved for a while, this causes the calipers to stick to disks as already mentioned by most folks here. Even if car washing is not done and the car is parked for a long time, moisture evaporation causes this temporary sticking. Absolutely normal behavior.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

normally CV joints go kaput early in two ways under normal conditions. Either if its a manufacturing defects or of the neglected torn boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks