Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Day/Night Mirror Adjustment - How does it work?

Hey Guys,

Day night mirror adjustment is a very simple to use mechanism...and indeed effective to ..BTW does anyone know how it works..??

Regards,
Turbofreak

Last edited by turbofreak : 15th February 2006 at 11:49.
Old 15th February 2006, 19:58   #2
BHPian

the anti glare setting/ night adjustment on your rear view mirror takes the reflections from your rear glass indirectly from that the light that is reflected from other cars that are behind.

the mirror is in the shape of a wedge and when you change it to the anti glare setting it points elsewhere...

the most common example would be a glass pane of your house, when you switch on lights inside your house and stand in front of a mirror you can see your reflections clearly, the rear view mirror takes advantage of the same principle.

hope i have explained my thoughts clearly enough
Old 15th February 2006, 20:34   #3
BHPian

thanks buddy..thanks for ur expalanation...
Old 16th February 2006, 07:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Turbofreak,

Heres another explaination of what adit1329 as just explained. (Proof can be seen when you are in a car with a sunroof and the mirror is flipped to "night driving" position).

Secondly though, i believe some of the more modern cars have mirrors that dont move but still dim when a bright light is shone on them. My guess would be that this is a simple light sensor that controls the opacity of an LCD layer that is infront of the mirror in the RVM housing.

cya
R
Old 16th February 2006, 14:38   #5
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan....that website has given a comprehensive explanation regarding my query...
Old 15th November 2007, 16:04   #6
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan for the link. I finally understood how the day-night rear view mirror works. Unfortunately almost none of my friends knew about this wonderful technology in modern cars. In fact most of them just tilt the mirror out of the way to avoid the bright light and pose a hazard in the night by not observing the vehicles coming behind them. The car buying public needs to be educated on this issue.

Howstuffworks "How does a car's rearview mirror work when it's in the glare-resistant setting?"
Old 15th November 2007, 18:35   #7
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post599220

Last edited by gbpscars : 15th November 2007 at 18:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks