Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 12:09   #1
BHPian

Steering Problems

need help , ever since i gave my car to be valet parked , my stering has become a little stiffer , any 1 who ownes a lancer will know you don't have to make much of an effort to turn the car , but as of now you have to put a little more pressure to turn the car ( not easy doing it with one hand anymore) also at low speed when turning the car there seems to be a creaking sound coming out from the back , this happens from time to time. i even gave to a garage in bandra and he charged me 3 k for a engine tune up , pugs etc and to get thet steering problem done ( he said there was some dirt). the end result job not done well! any 1 face a similar problem ...Lancer 2000 (yeah i am using a sport steering wheel "max II" but the problem dint start until the valet)
Old 15th February 2006, 20:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

are you sure there was a problem with the steering ?? this sounds like a case of low tyre pressure.and you think it happened just because you gave it to the vallet but its not entirely true.about the creaking sound from back...thast wierd.

i obioulsy could be wrong but thats what i feel.

rev
Old 16th February 2006, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Yeah i thought it was low tire pressure first, but thats ok , this problem started happening after i gave it to the valet to park, the creaking happens when i am turning the car more than 30 Deg , only option is to take her to a new mechanic .. got a list of service centers from the 88... helpline ... have you heard of Top Gear was thinking of giving it to them? as for the steering its just that i have to put 20% more effort to turn the car ,not a big deal but you know how it is , when your driving your own car

Last edited by ancer : 16th February 2006 at 11:55.
Old 16th February 2006, 12:10   #4
BHPian

Does it sound like the the brakes are scraping? have someone check the car from outside when u take a turn. U might be able to figure out the issue then.
Old 16th February 2006, 12:21   #5
BHPian

the sound is more a creaking sound like some hinge that needs greasing , the sound also happens when the car is static and i turn the wheel , the sound is never constant ,happens from time to time . yeah i'll check it my self thanks!
Old 16th February 2006, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check wheel alignment, its a big reason for steering tightness.

Even my friend who had a sport 'momo' lookalike aftermarket steering wheel has reverted back to the stock one because of the tight feel.
Old 17th February 2006, 14:27   #7
BHPian

yeah i think i need to change the steering wheel, i had my friend turn the wheel while the car was static, could not hear a thing from the out side, nor was it coming from the back , the sounds seems to be coming from the inside!will give her to a new garage to be checked

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks