Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2006, 12:22   #1
BHPian

after market Exhausht vs petrol consumption

Hey Guys ,
I just got HKS fitted on my sera since then i am noticing that petrol consumption has increased.
is that psychological or wt???
wt precautions i hve to take or wt other thngs i need to get checked!
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
Old 15th February 2006, 13:03   #2
BANNED

If you have "noticed" the increase in consumption, how can it be psychological? Apologies if I've misunderstood your post.
Old 15th February 2006, 18:55   #3
BHPian

thts wt smtime u thnk whn u hve new thngs installed so my eyes were on the needle and i realise that the needle is gng down very fast, does anybdy had such experience of avg gng down aftr installing muffler
Old 15th February 2006, 20:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

thats because after you installed the HKS exhaust you just want to hear the growl every time and you tend to rev more and shift gears later just to hear the sound.this obiously means your not driving the car how you used to and therfore the apparent reduce in FE.drive normally without revving a lot and im sure you wont notice the same.

rev
Old 16th February 2006, 13:55   #5
BHPian

You should calculate your mileage proprerly instead on relying on needle reading only :-)
Old 17th February 2006, 07:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
thats because after you installed the HKS exhaust you just want to hear the growl every time and you tend to rev more and shift gears later just to hear the sound.this obiously means your not driving the car how you used to and therfore the apparent reduce in FE.drive normally without revving a lot and im sure you wont notice the same.

rev

i did that after i got the Mugen muffler fixed on my esteem... the fuel consumption increased till i realised i was driving faster than usual only to hear the sound...
Old 17th February 2006, 11:51   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the driving pattern stays identical before & after, the FE will go up since a well - designed free flow exhaust will help the engine exhale better.

However, the sound can get addictive and leads to unnecessary revving. Thats when the FE goes down.

GTO
Old 17th February 2006, 12:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If the driving pattern stays identical before & after, the FE will go up since a well - designed free flow exhaust will help the engine exhale better.

However, the sound can get addictive and leads to unnecessary revving. Thats when the FE goes down.

GTO

Its highly unlikely that the driving pattern stays the same GTO... anybody with a good freeflow will want to rev the car over and over again only for the sound.. it's highly addictive..
Old 17th February 2006, 18:45   #9
BHPian

mewl addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Its highly unlikely that the driving pattern stays the same GTO... anybody with a good freeflow will want to rev the car over and over again only for the sound.. it's highly addictive..
In summary i must control myself (which i cn't) no other solution???
Old 17th February 2006, 19:36   #10
BHPian

if you install free flows, headers and a K&N filter, the FE will definitely increase...but as your car starts to sound heavenly at higher rpm's you tend to rev the car and also as the car starts to move more freely and smoothly (your acceleration increases as the car is breathing very freely) you tend to floor the car more often than required, hence the drop in fe....
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of mufflers, i've just gone ahead and removed the end muffler on my Vtec. The best muffler, is no muffler at all. LOL

Anyway, what GF has said is true. In most cases it's your change in driving style that causes the drop in FE. Infact, my car seems to have bcom a bit more FE after removing the muffler. Dunno if backpressure has anything to do with it.

The engine feels even more revv happy now, and i'm able to hit marginally higher speeds on certain sections as compared to before.

Shan2nu
Old 26th February 2006, 23:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
IS it not possible to design the exhaust in a fashion where you get the sound even at low rpms??... somthing like the BURBLE you get when the Doge Viper/Ford Mustang is at idle.... (at least!)

kb
Old 26th February 2006, 23:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
IS it not possible to design the exhaust in a fashion where you get the sound even at low rpms??... somthing like the BURBLE you get when the Doge Viper/Ford Mustang is at idle.... (at least!)

kb
Buddy , for that you would need 6,8 ,10,12.... cylinders.
And when you have them, you wouldnt care abt the FE
Old 27th February 2006, 00:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
Buddy , for that you would need 6,8 ,10,12.... cylinders.
And when you have them, you wouldnt care abt the FE
So true Dipen ... But one was just hoping someone had found a way !!

HOPES
Old 27th February 2006, 00:21   #15
anupam9055

i drive a tata indica petol and have fitting it with a auto mech free flow. at first i liked to rev the engine just to listen to the sound. but now since i have got back to my original drving style my FE has increased considerabily. and speaking about k&n i got to knw that there is no stock replacement filter available for indica petrol. but it is availalble for the diesel .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks