Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ideal dimensions of a Speed Breaker

Are there any recommended figures for the height of bumps in residential areas?

I was traveling in my new Aveo yesturday night. The car was fully loaded with 5 Adults. When we crossed the bump in front of the DRDO gate(on the way to Kagadasapura), we could hear the car bottom hitting the bump. The speed was so slow and we thought it would not touch. But still it happened.

Today morning when i crossed this bump I saw that there are so many marks of cars hitting on the bumps, which means almost most of the cars have same fate on this bump. I couldn't take any picture due to traffic in the early hours.

So, was just curious if there are any metrics which talks about the measurement of this. Is it really need to be too high to act as a speed barrier? Even a small one with smooth ups would definitely make all to stop and go right?

I wish the contractors followed some guide line to have this below some recommended limit?
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2008, 11:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

What makes you think these bumps are legal, and follow any guidelines at all?
Tomorrow if i felt like, i would get two speedbreakers put up, just for my own wicked satisfaction of seeing others' cars getting scraped. Needless to say, i would own an SUV before i embark on such gimmicks.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2008, 11:30   #3
BHPian

There is a legal guideline for the measurement that all the contractors are supposed to follow.

In reality they put the bumps a little higher because of the shrinkage factor , so ideally after some days it will come down to legal limits.

BTW: I got this info from a road contractor, a client of mine

Last edited by eclectix 1st : 29th April 2008 at 11:31.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
When we crossed the bump in front of the DRDO gate(on the way to Kagadasapura), we could hear the car bottom hitting the bump
Forget about guidelines! While driving sedans, ensure that your rear tyres crawl down the speed-breaker. Most people let the rear tyres jump over, leading to the rear overhang hitting the speed-breaker.

There are speed-breakers so high that you tend to scratch anyway. Try a 45 degree approach in those cases, and clench you teeth
Old 29th April 2008, 11:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well dude i doubt if there are any standards for these bumps but i do hate driving from mysore to coorg as there are breakers at every village and it actually are badly laid
you end up hitting the bottom unless your in a suv. I doubt if there are any standards
Old 29th April 2008, 11:44   #6
BANNED

GM too ? I thought only Honda cars scrapped the speed breakers .

Note: How about running the Cedia over that? By the Cedia is going on in this forum, I am sure it will come out unscathed.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Internationally there are a few standards as to the height and lenght of the humps. The convention to change to speed tables is also slowly catching on.

Here is some research from Iowa State University - Study on Speed Humps
Old 29th April 2008, 11:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
GM too ? I thought only Honda cars scrapped the speed breakers .

Note: How about running the Cedia over that? By the Cedia is going on in this forum, I am sure it will come out unscathed.
Normally it doesn't. but with the 5 Adults, it did.

I think we should rename this speed breakers to "car" breakers

Govt. should pass a bill to get compensation / reimbursement from the Tax we paid

If i am right, Cedia has a larger wheel base than Aveo, so probably will have same fate.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

mjothi being in Bangalore its understood we don't have speed breakers . Well those are the built to break your car.

Try taking them at an angle and thats the only way you could get around these speed breakers.
Old 29th April 2008, 12:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

mjothi - That is one horrible bump and I have also seen a lot of cars scraping that bump, when fully loaded. I always cross such breakers at an angle and it usually works. The only breaker it has not worked on was one in 4th main Thipassandra.
Old 7th August 2011, 16:11   #11
BANNED

Ideal dimensions of a Speed Breaker

Is anybody aware of any standard or norm, which speed breakers need to be? What I mean is the angle or rise & drop?

I have seen some speed breakers (in army cantonments) where the height rises gently & drops also gently (the ideal speed breaker) - forces you to slow down without damaging effects to the vehicle.
Un-fortunately some of the 'modular ' plastic speed breakers which are common in different tech parks in Bangalore now days are so bad for the vehicle.

You can feel the thud even if you cross the speed breaker very slowly.

Surely some organization is India had studied this & come to a conclusion what an ideal speed breaker should be.
Old 7th August 2011, 19:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ideal dimensions of a Speed Breaker

Quote:
IRC: 99-1988

5. Design of Speed breakers

Speed breakers are formed basically by providing a rounded(of 17 metre radius) hump of 3.7 metre width and 0.10 metre height for the preferred advisory crossing speed of 25 km/h for General traffic, Fig 1. Trucks and Buses having larger wheel bases may feel greater inconvenience on passage at such humps. To facilitate appreciable and comfortable passage for larger and heavier vehicles(where the proportion is quite high) humps may be modified with 1.5 metre long ramps (1:20) at each edge. This design with also enable these vehicles to pass hump at about 25 km/h, Fig 2.
This is directly from the IRC, last reprinted 2006.

Ideal dimensions of a Speed Breaker-irc.jpg

Last edited by dadu : 7th August 2011 at 19:40.
dadu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 20:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

I remember to have read somewhere that the design varies w.r.to the speed reduction desired to be enforced. In other words a hump designed for reduction of speed to 25 KMPH will be smooth at that speed or lesser. If one approaches at higher speed then there would be the thud, passengers getting tossed up and so on. There exists an Indian Standard (IS) on speed breaker specs.
Old 10th August 2011, 15:18   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
You can feel the thud even if you cross the speed breaker very slowly.
The Art of taking a speed-breaker . Hope that helps you & your car.
Old 10th August 2011, 16:17   #15
BANNED

@ Dadu, thats interesting stuff. Thanks. where can i get a copy of the IRC ?
@ GTO, thats what i have been doing, un-fortunatelly it cannot be done at all speed breakers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks