Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 07:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Temporary brake fail in Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
AFIAK The Hand brake is usually Mechanical, not Hydraulic like the foot brakes.
You are right -- hand brake is mechanical. Sorry.
Old 13th August 2011, 12:07   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
My wife tried to put gear selector in "P" mode while driving, and it went there but provided very little braking (or not braking). I believe it should not allow to go there when the vehicle is moving. Is this an anomaly?

After this she tried hand brake and offered little help but by then the auto came to help it to complete stop
As has been pointed out by Samurai and mdsaab if you manage to engage P while in motion, there is a safety which stops engagement until the vehicle stops. If you manage to actually get P engagement while in motion damage to the gearbox is almost guaranteed.
Old 13th August 2011, 13:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As has been pointed out by Samurai and mdsaab if you manage to engage P while in motion, there is a safety which stops engagement until the vehicle stops. If you manage to actually get P engagement while in motion damage to the gearbox is almost guaranteed.
So does this mean MT is safer than AT? You can reasonably drive with engine breaking in MT, while in AT if there is a brake fail you either have an accident or break your gearbox?
Old 13th August 2011, 14:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawcash View Post
Also, Modern cars have a tandem master cylinder. which means that front and rear brake circuits are separate for safety reasons. Even if a leak was present, or the brake fluid boiled, the probability of this happening to all four wheels simultaneously is 0.01 in a million.
Good point there about the dual mast cylinders. However, i'd disagree with the 0.01 in a million -- especially if we are talking about brake fluid overheating (due to riding the brakes etc), which would happen symmetrically and therefore on both circuits.

You might have had a good experience with the pure DOT4/DOT5 in your Esteem, though in this case gou's car could have been (for example) DOT3 with a bit of humidity in the system -- which would change things dramatically. So i still wouldn't rule that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
My wife tried to put gear selector in "P" mode while driving, and it went there but provided very little braking (or not braking). I believe it should not allow to go there when the vehicle is moving. Is this an anomaly?
Yes, this is really strange! Sgiitk has mentioned the reason why.

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks