Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Heart Transplant for the i20 petrol?

Friends,

I currently have an i20 Jan 2009 model. I do not know from where and how, but somehow, I have been sitting and thinking.
"Hmm... Internationally, the i20 petrol comes with a 1.6L engine, can I get one and plunk it in mine?"

Tell me friends, can it be done? Can I get a 1.6L engine or something monstrous like that and put it in the i20. Am just testing the waters for now and would like to know what is possible and what is not. The mods itself might only be started round the next year though.

Well, keep the thoughts pouring in.

Jas.
Old 17th August 2011, 18:01   #2
BANNED

Re: Heart Transplant for the i20 petrol?

Forget about it. Its never gonna happen. Only thing you can do is sell your current car and buy a more powerful car.
taranonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 18:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Indulging in this circus will cost you soooooo muuuccch that you can buy a decent road rocket.

Forget about it, the legal hassles involved will bug you to no end.
Old 17th August 2011, 19:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

jas_mirage, Sourcing and transplanting a 1.6 engine in your i20 will be time consuming and expensive task, and the results may not be worth it.

i20 does not have really sporty dynamics in its current form in India, instead i suggest you to sell the car and get a car which comes with a powerful engine from factory like the Polo 1.6 or Fabia 1.6.

If you are in love with the i20 and feel it's the best car around, consider the CRDI variant, the engine has all the power you may want, plus being a Diesel it can be remapped to bump up the power easily.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th August 2011 at 20:10. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 19:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you just turbo it ? .It should be safe and get the kick as well .
Old 17th August 2011, 19:31   #6
BHPian

Not worth the effort and money, IMO. Do some performance mods if you can't part with your i20.

Engine change may not be street legal also.

Ref this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ars-india.html
Old 17th August 2011, 19:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
Well, keep the thoughts pouring in.
Hey Jas, if you think about it, its not really economically and practically feasible to do an engine swap. There would be endless paper work to deal with.

And if you consider only the price involved too, you can buy a pocket rocket like the Palio 1.6 GTX. (One can get a decent example for ~1 lac)

Well, if the idea is to make your car faster, then you can go for the usual reliable mods like a CAI, FFE, etc.. If you are not satisfied, then like anushman suggested, go for the diesel version. It would be nice to have a powerful, fuel efficient mill.

But, my suggestion for the i20 in specific would be, go for after-market performance suspension, and make it handle better 1st. With the kind of roads today, you really dont need to make your car go faster, instead have fun at speeds which she would go.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:04   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Factory horses are factory horses, and a car that is quick in stock form is the best to modify further. As others have recommended, don't go anywhere near an engine swap with the i20. Not only will it break the bank, but also your head with the resultant effort & unreliability.

If you want a fast hatchback, sell the i20 and buy an i20 Diesel / Polo 1.6 / Honda Jazz.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:18   #9
BHPian

Mmmm... So I guess that is a no go. I dont think I would you know buy another car just to mitigate the same, but thought of performing a heart transplant if I could. The thing which irritated me was that I get only a mileage of 10kmpl with a 1.2 L engine, I might as well put a 1.6 L engine and get the same mileage, I would be fine with even 8. But as all of you said; no go.

Well then I must start planning for performance mods. Don't all of you agree?
Old 18th August 2011, 17:42   #10
BHPian

At times even i feel the 1.2L engines need some more punch. Especially in heavy traffic with 5 people on board and air con i find it very difficult to drive my 1.2L Ritzy. Have to downshift frequently and overtaking is a nightmare.
What mods do you have in mind? Keep us posted. Will be glued to this thread.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

As others have mentioned engine swaps arent very reliable and its a pain afterwords.

Not sure if you have seen, but close to 20 years back when the only options we had was a Padmini, Amby and a M800 (all in petrol). Folks used to swap the Amby's (and Padminis) petrol engine with a Diesel powerplant to get Diesel economy.

Apart from it being illegal (As i believe these were never updated in the RTO), the chassis is designed for a particular engine considering its size and weight and it wears out much faster if a heavier engine is forced-put in its place.

A 1.6 would surely be more heavier, and the i20 chassis may not be designed for the same. You will end up with lots and lots of rattles and other problems like suspension etc. So too much pain.

Hence as others have suggested please look at some mods, or a different car which gets you the power that you need.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sell the car and TD the Jazz . IMO,It would be a sensible choice.

Cheers!
Old 18th August 2011, 17:53   #13
BHPian

Hi Why not try if you can have performance enhancement either using Pete's performance boxor remapping the remapping the engine in a reouted garage, this should cost you far lesser and get you the desired results
Old 18th August 2011, 18:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Was just wondering whether i20's 1.2L engine produces enough HP to power a small supercharger!?

Other tiny mods are K&N stock replacement filter or CAI installed by a proper installer taking care of engine temperature etc.

and of course, FFE for boosting low end torque!

Last edited by sohail99 : 18th August 2011 at 18:20.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:52   #15
BHPian

ok.. so can we begin with mods I should do to eke more performance out of the engine?

Where do I start with and what all do I do? I know I can start with the usual Air Filter first. Where all do I go from there? And any tuners in the Cochin/Ernakulam region who will do a good job?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks