Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 19:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Damper Disposal

I always knew that Dampers had pressurized oil and gas in it, but never thought it was dangerous, and NEVER had or heard a mishap due to used dampers.

However, recently I came to know that the dampers need to be properly disposed off, and if not, will be hazardous.

The procedure is to place the damper on a level surface and extend the shaft. After which drill a hole in the body, to release the gas. Please make sure to protect your eyes, before you drill the hole.

Front:
Damper Disposal-damper.jpg

Rear:
Damper Disposal-damper-1.jpg

Usually, most of us take back the worn out parts back to home from the A.S.S. Well.. next time, do the above, or leave the damper at the A.S.S.

Note: This is just precautionary information. Do it at your own risk.

Members, please feel free to add info, and experiences due to improper damper disposal.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 20:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Damper Disposal

^^

Great input

I haven't come across a case involving dampers but do know of a case where the horn pad of a car(with the SRS) flew off when the part had been placed upside down.No one was injured,though.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well there are alot of automobile parts that need proper disposal. Specially fluids batteries etc. But I was not aware dampers is one of them.
Thanks for the tip.
Will take care in future if the need arises.
Old 18th August 2011, 00:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I always knew that Dampers had pressurized oil and gas in it, ....
When it's time to replace the shocks it is left with little gas as it has leaked over time, worst still, the oil has also leaked. Usually it has pressurised Nitrogen above oil to prevent it from frothing. On gas shockers it is just the gas with some oil for lubrication purpose. With no gas pressure the oil froths freely, heats up faster and loses it's shock absorbing capability.

I took the picture below after removing the old Gabriel oil shockers that lasted 60 K kms but still had some life in it. It was easy to push the piston inside but reguired double the effort to pull it out, this indicates a bad shocker that has lost the gas pressure. The piston on the new shockers used to rise back to full length within 3-4 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Damper Disposal-shockers.jpg  

Old 18th August 2011, 07:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

The question is how often do we carry dampers back home. I quite cant think of a 2nd use for this other than leaving it at the A.$.$. I always make it a point to inform the SA at the service center to leave the damaged parts in my car .

However when there is visible damage I generally click a pic and leave the damaged part at the service station itself. They have better disposal methods.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The question is how often do we carry dampers back home. I quite cant think of a 2nd use for this other than leaving it at the A.$.$.
Well, I too used to bring home all the parts from the A.S.S. One reason was that, I like pondering over them, to see how they failed etc.. and I needed to ensure they changed all the parts mentioned, and the other reason is that, it will fetch some $$$ from the neighborhood scrap walla.

I guess most of us do the above. Well, as mentioned above, next time if you bring home dampers, make sure you follow the disposal procedure. Or else, leave them at the A.S.S. Cos, like you mentioned, they have better procedures to dispose them off.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The procedure is to place the damper on a level surface and extend the shaft. After which drill a hole in the body, to release the gas. Please make sure to protect your eyes, before you drill the hole.
Potentially perilous piece of information. Don't ever try puncturing pressurized air dampers at home. There is a warning printed on them & I believe it is for a reason. Extended or not, old or new, they carry the risk of injury to the person doing the process. I know of a person who lost most of his face while doing this procedure.

This information is dangerous for a public forum & hence

Disclaimer for Readers: Never try this at home with your rotary drillset/hammer & nail . This is no Jugaad/DIY part that you can make use of after it has gone bad. These parts are best left alone at A.S.C. or disposed off at metal rates to your local scrap dealer. You have been warned!

Last edited by JustCause : 18th August 2011 at 19:23.
JustCause is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Potentially perilous piece of information.
Thanks for the warning. I agree its dangerous, hence the disclaimer. However, drilling a hole of 2-3 mm, by extending the shaft, is exactly what is recommended. How do you suggest one should do it?.

Also, I guess, improper disposal causes more hazards than the above procedure. The reason for the thread is I have had used dampers in my garage for long. Where my family members and kids go, and I would not want a mishap to occur. Which I guess is the case with most of us.
Old 18th August 2011, 23:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The reason for the thread is I have had used dampers in my garage for long.
Give away the old dampers to your scrap dealer. The problem with this disposal procedure is that one does not completely know how much pressure is still inside the cylinder. It is up to the scrap dealer to try to salvage metal by opening it through this procedure. There are shocker dismantling machines available for this very purpose.

I appreciate your effort in making us aware of potential hazards of storing these parts as spares.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Potentially perilous piece of information. Don't ever try puncturing pressurized air dampers at home.
The warning is apt and the average user should never try it. I once visited a strut refurbishing workshop where all the employees wore thick goggles, visors and gloves.

Quote:
Also, I guess, improper disposal causes more hazards than the above procedure.
Tell me, how many of us are really so considerate of others or the environment? How many of us really care or are compassionate in minimizing injury to others? Forget proper disposal of hazardous parts, I am thinking of much more common occurances which shows a complete lack of civic sense. Just think how many car drivers we encounter daily driving with headlights on highbeam when it's not legal within city limits.

What about well educated people (including some BHPians) who have upgraded their stock headlight bulbs to higher wattage or jugad HID kits without a proper projector housing? It may not hurt their conscience but it certainly hurt my eyes, risking an accident that might kill an innocent bystander??

Quote:
Give away the old dampers to your scrap dealer.
I got 150/- each from the scrap dealer. He told me the piston is of hardened steel and fetches good money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks