Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2006, 15:55   #1
BANNED

About Bharat I/II/III Pollution Norms

Can someone please list the years when the Bharat I/II/III Pollution norms were introduced in India.

Are Bharat I/II/III Pollution Norms same as Euro I/II/III Pollution Norms ?

Other than the pollution factor is there any other technological advantages for the first/second hand buyer when buying these newer breed of vehicles ?

Will there be any difference in the mileage of a Bharat III car & a Bharat II car ? I've heard that usually the end user is the one who suffers the most as a result of these Pollution norms.
Old 18th February 2006, 18:37   #2
Joz
BHPian

1999: BS I first mandated in NCR region
2000: BS II in NCR region and few other metros; BS I for rest of the country. BS I for 2 wheelers
2004: BS II in 9 major cities
2005: BSIII in 11 key cities. BS II for rest of the country.

BS norms are not the same as Euro norms. They have been adapted from Euro norms. A few things like the driving cycles are tweaked. Not sure about actual emission levels; almost the same.

For 2 wheelers, emission norms will be different from Euro norms, as the market conditions are drastically different. A significant portion of the vehicular pollution in India is contributed by 2 wheelers.

Technical Advantage: In petrols, most cars shifted to MPFI tech by BS I. Diesels shifted to CRDI by BS III. This is not universal to all models. Other than that, the emissions are met mainly through tweaking of the engine and changes to the catalytic converter.

Some vehicles might see a drop in performance with shift to higher emisson norms (BS II to BS III) due to the shift in location of the catalytic converter. It would be placed closer to the exhuast manifold to meet higher emission norms, resulting in higher back pressure and a minor drop in power.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Joz : 18th February 2006 at 18:38.
Old 20th February 2006, 04:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Bharat Stage III Issues

Euro-3 Fuel Confusion

cya
R
Old 27th February 2006, 13:59   #4
BANNED

Cheers to Joz for your wonderful reply.

....And sorry for being late.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com