Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 15:01   #1
BHPian

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem

All,
I own a Swift ZXI 2009 model.I have done 35K so far.

Few weeks back,I noticed that the airbag light display remains lit, even after engine startup. This indicates an issue with the airbag system. This is the second time that this issue appears. ( A few months after I bought my car this same issue had occurred. Mandovi people in Bangalore 'reprogrammed' it and was fixed)

I have relocated to Hyderabad now ( and have, ever since, been on the quest to find out a good MASS Writing a separate post on that. I now want to concentrate on this light problem)

I take it to Mithra agencies,Madhapur. One dude picks up that machine ( OBD?) and insert the wire to the socket under the steering column. Some error code appears. I took a glance at the console and manage to photograph it also.

Here it is.

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-airbag_issue_console2.jpg

Does anyone know what this error code means?

(That day, Mithra guys did not seem to have a clear idea about this error code. After much running around, they told me that there is an expensive 'motor' which is connected to seat belt and airbag and its malfunctioning. It was not very convincing that that point in time, but in hindsight, after my experience with RKS motors, I feel Mithra is better. More on that later)

Has anyone come across this issue? Please shed some light on the error code and what it means.

Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift ZXI airbag light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8090guy View Post
All,
I own a Swift ZXI 2009 model.I have done 35K so far.

Has anyone come across this issue? Please shed some light on the error code and what it means.

Thanks

Hope the following helps:

http://forum.carpartseuro.com/Books/...irbag-0861.pdf

2004-present MkV Suzuki Swift Workshop Manual English

http://www.suzukiswift.sk/downloads/...l2-control.pdf

Ford motors(similar problem):

Air bag light blinking - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 31st August 2011, 15:22   #3
BHPian

Possibly an airbag sensor issue. I am no expert, so I am purely guessing. Do you know what exactly was done the last time? I believe the sensors would be located somewhere behind the front bumper. If the motor is at fault, why only the driver side airbag is shown as faulty? I'm curious to know the source of the problem since I have a ZXi too.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Possibly an airbag sensor issue. I am no expert, so I am purely guessing. Do you know what exactly was done the last time? I believe the sensors would be located somewhere behind the front bumper. If the motor is at fault, why only the driver side airbag is shown as faulty? I'm curious to know the source of the problem since I have a ZXi too.
If its a airbag sensor issue it wont be just limited to Driver side airbag I guess (In the pic above it mentions driver side). Swift comes with passenger side airbag too IIRC.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:26   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

With Airbags the issue generally is of connectors that connect and disconnect when the car goes over rough roads if the contact is not established well with the right kind of sockets.

The system is programmed to ignore this for a few instances of errors but once the limit is extended it would start giving errors.

Setting the number of instances permitted thought the software tool (by experts) helps at times.

At other times a disk on the Steering wheel that establishes this connection looses contact and causes an error.

Zero Contact also implies High Resistance as then resistance is infinite.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
If its a airbag sensor issue it wont be just limited to Driver side airbag I guess (In the pic above it mentions driver side). Swift comes with passenger side airbag too IIRC.
You are right but I think there would be separate sensors for the two airbags. It is likely that the driver side sensor(s) is (are) malfunctioning. Even if one of the sensors are malfunctioning, the airbag display will stay on.

I have heard that that the airbag icon is supposed to blink 6 times before it goes off after you start the car. If not, the airbags/sensors need a precautionary check. Someone might be able to throw light on this fact/myth.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 31st August 2011 at 16:32.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:17   #7
BHPian

2004-present MkV Suzuki Swift Workshop Manual English
Link by aphakilo has wealth of information and they seem to suggest connector problems. ACM too is suspecting something similar.

Alphakilo, ACM, Could it be an issue with SDM itself?
The RKS Motors people are telling me that the SDM needs to be replaced. But they have not tested the car with a working SDM as the manual suggests.

FuelAddict, its not a sensor issue. When it happened for the first time, they solved it by 'reprogramming'. I did not go into the details. From what ACM says, I'm presuming that they have simply set a higher threshold.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

The high resistance error may be due the circuit being open somewhere or the circuit is being completed with something in contact which is why the resistance is showing high. I think therefore since the circuit is drawing more current than usual, hence the alarm. I maybe wrong.

Its better to show it to Maruti service center and get the issue resolved. Maybe browsing back at the earlier issue records might point to something.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alphakilo, ACM, Could it be an issue with SDM itself?
The RKS Motors people are telling me that the SDM needs to be replaced. But they have not tested the car with a working SDM as the manual suggests.
Sir, I dont think so a SDM will go kaput so easily. It forms part of a very critical component. Better get it checked in another Genuine maruti showroom who can do a proper testing. It could also be possible that your ECU/vehicle computer is forcing out a error signal forecasting a failing SDM, so better take the vehicle to another service station. I am sure Hyd members like Vina and many more would be able to guide you. Just PM them. And do update the post-results.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 20:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick look at DTC B1031 from the workshop manual, and what could be the possible issues.
Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-1.jpg

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-2.jpg

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-3.jpg

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-4.jpg

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-5.jpg

SDM conking out is the last thing to check, but is a possibility. Motor replacement? What motor?

I would suspect a loose contact somewhere.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 31st August 2011 at 20:35.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:25   #11
BHPian

Alphakilo, ss-traveller, others,
I'm kind of convinced that it is a connection problem than a sdm problem. The issue now is to find a reliable service staion. Mithra guys meant SDM when they said 'motor'. Like I said earlier, they were not at all convincing. They took 45 minutes to figure out what is B1031.

RKS ppl told me it is an sdm problem and when they returned my car, it is not driveable.
Less said the better. I writing a separate review about them soon.

I'm frustrated that Hyd service stations are outdoing each other in terms of substandard service. Looks like they would recruit anyone who can answer '11' to a question like 'what is 1 + 1' ? arm them with the service manual and ask them to fix issues in the cars.
Bangalore was not like this.

Hyderabad maruti owners - please suggest any service station other than varun , Mithra and RKS. ( I can't PM since I'm a newbie )

Thanks a lot all for your guidance. Much appreciated.

I will keep you all posted about further developments.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:21   #12
BHPian

Re: Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem

All
I took my car to the RKS Motors workshop in Nampally last tuesday. They replaced a part called cable assembly contact controller which sits inside the steering wheel . ( part no 37480-62j20) and the issue ceasedxto exist. It cost me Rs 3500 and was not covered under warranty , though i'm under extended warranty,since it is an electrical part or so I was told.

This is just the story in gist. There is much more to the story, and in general, I am not all that satisfied by their level of service.

I will write a detailed review of my experience with Varun, Mithra and RKS soon in the appropriate forum and update this thread.

Swift ZXI - Airbag light problem-img_5200.jpg
Old 12th September 2011, 11:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...a part called cable assembly contact controller which sits inside the steering wheel . ( part no 37480-62j20)...
Aah.. yes! That's also known as the clock spring. Thanks for the update.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th September 2011 at 11:11.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:12   #14
BHPian

Does anyone know if this clock spring is covered under extended warranty? The dealer says it is not since it is an electrical part. The warranty booklet is ambiguous.

I plan to reach out to the Maruti people.

But let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 13:20   #15
BHPian

I had my horn changed under extended warranty. The extended warranty covers electrical parts as well. Since it is not a wear and tear part, it should be under extended warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks