Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
Aren't we all fed up of being scared out of our pants when that dreaded "check engine" light comes on in the dash?

Aren't we fed up of being taken for a ride by the auth. service guys with their 1Lakh + devices that tell us to replace the most expensive parts on our MPFI engines?

If only we could talk to the ECU directly, huh?

Well... I dont think we need lots of money to talk to 'em:

I heard that most mordern ECUs have a simple Serial Interface. If this is true, then we should be able to hook it up to one of the COM ports on a PC and use "Hyperterminal" to talk to the ECU !

Making sense of the gibberish it would put out would be the next step. For this we would need to write software that will decode the byte stream; given the protocol.

I'm a computer geek and can do whatever it takes once I have the byte stream on the PC... I'm looking for some help from other computer / electronics / automobile geeks on Team BHP...

Here's what I need at this point:
1. Do all ECUs have a serial interface? If not, electronics guys / gals; let me know what needs to be done to get the data into a Serial / Parallel / USB port on a PC.

2. I would need the protocols to write the software. Is there a "Standard ECU protocol"?

3. 'Erm, not trying to sound dumb, but... where exactly is the ECU located ? - Different cars = Different places I suspect... (I own an MPFI Esteem)

Looking forward to lots of chatter on this thread.

- T u r b o C -
reading the output from the ECU can be done, there are lookup tables available which tell which code corresponds to which parameter of which sensor, each manufacturers list can be obtained, but then what we get is read only mode.
Im not sure if we can at this level try to mod the chip, modding of chip will require a different technology altogether .. the EEPROM cant be programmed with a mixture of our "after market code tuner " code and the original OEM code... we may have to write another set of instructions and fit another chip altogether...
Our Indian cars are ISO ObdII protocol compliant atleast the Baleno and the Lancer .. we can use a VB.net application to read the data, I had started this project on my own but the cost of simulator cards was prohibitive.... bcoz u cant just plug into an ecu from the 1st day. U need to debug with the simulator card with varying parameters ...and once it is stable then connect to the ECU. there is a russian company which makes these and having dealers in US.. but the total cost of the harness+OBd2 adapter+ r32 to USB + simulator brings the price so high that it is not worth experimenting with and in the end what u get is a readonly software with some bugs the same software can be bought off the shelf for a very less amount. I spoke to some mechanic/tuner guys near LA and Pasadena about this .. but the repsonse which i get is "dude dont mess with the ECU" .. I think we should leave the ""rechipping"" to the big boyz like Innovate,Greddy and Vishnu etc etc. these guys have dedicated cars like mobile test labs with high end sensors which they use to play around with.. we cant experiment with 1 car without all the sensors and test equipment, and biggest adavantage they have is that they may have some knowledge of OEM EEPROM ..but they wont let us know !!
if u want to try some coding.. u try coding for a software which displays the data from ECU in real time becoz its "doable" but expensive.

any suggestions guys .. ?

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2008 at 13:11. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
but cost differentiates a quality software with analysis from a cheap software..
yes agree with u maan !!
softwares talking to complex ECU cost more .. prices vary from 150$ to 1000$ + .. its just a mater of how much more u want eg.. LTFT average,knock retard,injector pulse width vs RPM, target AFR vs RPM ..it can just go on and on... or person can be happy with coolant temperature and RPM..
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
Nice idea.
I have heard that something called CAN is used by most of makers. I think you programmers can hack into the ECU memory chips and find out about the complete programs.
Anyway, as far as my knowledge is concerned, I should not disclose anything.
RK
CAN is just a interface for communication , its nothing special, its just like
one of the OBDII protocols commonly used eg VPW (General Motors), PWM (Ford), and ISO9141 (Chrysler, Asian, and European), and ISO 14230 protocol (also called Keyword 2000).
we should not be concerned about CAN.. our cars are ISO 14230 OBD2 compliant... atleast the lancer
Old 24th February 2006, 02:13   #19
BHPian

i c rehaan.. infact i noticed that in my cbz where i have no limiter.. the more i revved towards the red, there wasnt a significant increase in speed or rather i wud b stuck at the same speed.. hmmm thought it wuz diff for cars though
newayz thnx for replying rehaan

~cheers
-Ash
Old 24th February 2006, 08:57   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
No it wouldnt be...
The power curve is already on the decline before it reaches your current redline.
Only increasing your redline (and not changing anthing else) would mean your power would just continue to decrease as your engine revved higher.

cya
R
Hi,

I agree with you. What needs to be done is a remap which changes certain parameters based on the mods you have/want and removes the limiter as well. This will give you the required additional power. Cannot comment on the exact bhp as there are no dyno's to back it up in Mumbai.

Viper
Old 24th February 2006, 09:51   #21
BHPian

Diy Obd II

hi all, i've been lurking here for a while and decided to post when i seen this tread.
turbo_c the best way woud be to build an obd II interface for your pc. check out the resources section at http://scantool.net for info on building one yourself. youl'll need to know what protocol your vehicle supports.
you'll also find obd II software out there in plenty, google for 'digimoto' i like the gui, esp the guages. and yea they can monitor pretty much everything right from intake manifold pressure to coolant temperature (depending on your sensors). of course you can read the diagnoistics as to why ur engine light is on and reset it yourself. some obd II s/w even have a dyno ! i'm working on building an OBD II interface myself, i'm currenty sourcing out components.
i'm currently working on a custom computer to fit in my indigo sx. so all this + some more electronics will be integrated with the car. its in the final stages and i'll keep u all posted.
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

OBDII Complaint Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
reading the output from the ECU can be done, there are lookup tables available which tell which code corresponds to which parameter of which sensor, each manufacturers list can be obtained, but then what we get is read only mode.
Im not sure if we can at this level try to mod the chip, modding of chip will require a different technology altogether .. the EEPROM cant be programmed with a mixture of our "after market code tuner " code and the original OEM code... we may have to write another set of instructions and fit another chip altogether...
Our Indian cars are ISO ObdII protocol compliant atleast the Baleno and the Lancer .. we can use a VB.net application to read the data, I had started this project on my own but the cost of simulator cards was prohibitive.... bcoz u cant just plug into an ecu from the 1st day. U need to debug with the simulator card with varying parameters ...and once it is stable then connect to the ECU. there is a russian company which makes these and having dealers in US.. but the total cost of the harness+OBd2 adapter+ r32 to USB + simulator brings the price so high that it is not worth experimenting with and in the end what u get is a readonly software with some bugs the same software can be bought off the shelf for a very less amount. I spoke to some mechanic/tuner guys near LA and Pasadena about this .. but the repsonse which i get is "dude dont f**k with the ECU" .. I think we should leave the ""rechipping"" to the big boyz like Innovate,Greddy and Vishnu etc etc. these guys have dedicated cars like mobile test labs with high end sensors which they use to play around with.. we cant experiment with 1 car without all the sensors and test equipment, and biggest adavantage they have is that they may have some knowledge of OEM EEPROM ..but they wont let us know !!
if u want to try some coding.. u try coding for a software which displays the data from ECU in real time becoz its "doable" but expensive.

any suggestions guys .. ?
Hi,

I was reading your post and see that you have mentioned that the Baleno and Lancer are OBDII compliant. Is this confirmed as a fact? I am asking you this as I recently returned from US and bought a OBD Device for use with my laptop. However it does not work with my Esteem. I also have a Baleno but have not been able to test it on that yet.

Thanks

Manik
Old 3rd August 2006, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

OBDII Compliant Cars

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone has a list of Indian Cars that are OBDII compliant. I recently got an OBDII scanner from US for use with my laptop. The device I have is available at http://www.obdallinone.com and so far i have tested it with the Esteem and Versa and it does not work with either of them.

I also have a Baleno but so far I have not been able to test it on the same, just wondering if anyone out here knows for sure about the cars in India that are OBDII compliant.

Thanks

Manik

Note from moderator: Threads merged

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th August 2006 at 00:02.
Old 4th August 2006, 11:22   #24
BHPian

Ah.... one of the first few theads I started on TBhp... nice to see it come alive again!

Welcome aboard Manik... we're waiting to hear if the device can talk to your Baleno's ECM!

Sad to hear that it can't talk to the Esteem's ECM :( !

- T u r b o C -
Old 5th August 2006, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is OBDII -- Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
Ah.... one of the first few theads I started on TBhp... nice to see it come alive again!

Welcome aboard Manik... we're waiting to hear if the device can talk to your Baleno's ECM!

Sad to hear that it can't talk to the Esteem's ECM :( !

- T u r b o C -
Hi All,

There is both good and bad news. The OBDII scanner that I bought from US works with my Baleno , I tested it today and it connected to the ECM and correctly identified the OBDII protocol as well.

The 2006 Baleno EURO III is running the ISO ISO14230 protocol.

The bad news albeit temporarily is that the Baleno ECM does not talk the standard SAE Standards Based PID's. So I have to first discover the PID's being spewed out by the ECM and then reverse map the PID's to the correct parameters.

I am working on this and hope to break this last bit of puzzle. Will update everyone as soon as I get it working 100% .

Cheers

Manik
Old 6th August 2006, 18:38   #26
BHPian

buddy the suzi cars ecu's r not obd2 compliant, right now the skodas are the one which come with this feture as far as to my knowledge, wll let you know if ther are any more cars around with the same
Old 6th August 2006, 18:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is OBDII -- Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m
buddy the suzi cars ecu's r not obd2 compliant, right now the skodas are the one which come with this feture as far as to my knowledge, wll let you know if ther are any more cars around with the same
Hi,

Actually I tested it on my Baleno and guess what, it is indeed OBDII compliant. I have the data streaming in into my laptop. Just need to figure out the PID's and I will have a digital dasjboard soon.

Cheers

Manik
Old 7th August 2006, 00:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

I think all the newer cars come OBD compliant. With this device I recon you can get an ECU remap done, right? All you have to make sure is revert to default values before your service. BTW how much did it cost you? Did it come with software etc., to manipulate the data etc.,
Old 7th August 2006, 07:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Not all Cars are OBDII Compliant :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I think all the newer cars come OBD compliant. With this device I recon you can get an ECU remap done, right? All you have to make sure is revert to default values before your service. BTW how much did it cost you? Did it come with software etc., to manipulate the data etc.,
Hi,

Not all cars are obdii compliant, I tried on my Versa, Esteem, Zen and even the 800. None of them is obdii compliant. Only the Baleno works. I am actually a Maruti fan so could not try on other cars yet.

I got this for approximately $110 from US. It is only a reader, you cannot manipulate the ECU maps. However you can clear the MIL light in case it comes up.

Check out www.obdallinone.com , that is where I got mine from.

Manik
Old 17th September 2006, 22:20   #30
BHPian

is the swift vxi obd2 compliant?
can anyone trow some light on it?
AB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks