Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:26   #1
BHPian

Some Queries for Lancer SFX-i- Maintainence

I have an Mitsubishi Lancer SFX-i 2001 Model - 59,800 KM Clocked, Here are a few querys I wanted to ask- I wanted to get the MPFI System Cleaned- However I don't know where this can be done, When should I clean it.( There is a tendency of poor pickups at times)

Secondly, I'm replacing the Engine Oil so is it advisable to have the engine flushed with petrol or diesal and then change it.

I also wanted to ask , Is there a tendency of Headlight Bulbs to weaken after some time- Mine are still the orignal factory fitted, However They kind of appear weak now. Thanks

Div
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) Check spark-plugs,plug gaps, etc.. just the regular engine tune-up.

2) NO! Use Engine flush liquid which is available in a 300ml sealed container.(I use OWS engine flush).
I suggest u switch to Synthetic engine oil. Loads of difference in Engine smoothness, refinement,etc..

3)Since u're way past warranty period, i suggest u get 100/90 bulbs along with a headlamp relay, and don't forget those after-market Bakelite headlamp sockets.
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:34   #3
BHPian

hey wolf! welcome to T-bhp...
for your queries,
1)You can have a "injector cleaning" done
2)Use a engine flush from bardhal or STP etc during your next oil change.
i'd advice u to go for a bardhal engine treatment (the after 50K km one).
4)your right bout the headlight, do do go a little dim with time...

Also, if your experiencing a drop in performance/acceleration, try getting a engine decarbonization done.

hope this helps..

cheers,
Old 22nd February 2006, 19:30   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys, I unfortunately cannot do any Mods to the car, as its still owned by my dad..Say Any Modification " Prohibited"...What I will do is that I will see if there is a change, If I replace the current Bulbs with the ones which came as in Spare, Also Reading throught some of the earlier posts- Someone posted that You can Spray A jet of Air inside the Headlight so as to remove any dust or So...! Lets try the Replacement bulb...!
Well The Baby goes to Excel Motors, On all its scheduled services, Fortunately we always get the service on age factor rather than Km/Clocked.
Got the Tyres replaced in October to Bridgestone G3 Tubless- Will get balancing done now..!
In respect to the Engine - Well The engine oil inside is light brown- Not burnt or Deep Dark..However Never Tried to replace it with Synthetic Oil- Always got Servo- The Showroom Service and Once two years back I tried Castrol GTX which went very well, Can someone guide on this- Since the Car is in Great Condition, Should I have the Oil- Filter Changed everytime..during last year I got it changed only Once.
Engine Oil Flush- well I also read of Nu-Fol or the ones you guys suggested, However Which is the best available in India and for how much..Anyone in South Delhi have a clue where its available, cause I went to a large spare parts dealer and he said its not available and suggested use of petrol or diesal as a Flushing Agent.
Only One regret of owning a Lancer is that The Damn! Side view mirrors are flicked every few months- I got mine ripped off twice last year and Here is My First Rip of the Year- The guys din't take only the glass they broke the whole assembly of both LH and RH..To add to my misery, The LH-RH assembly are not available in Delhi Showrooms- Excel Motors the lead stockist committed sometime in early march, I called up the dealer in lucknow-As my cousins were coming by- They only have the RH available...Hell I even called the dealer as listed on lancerindia in chennai, He says the parts are not in the country will take time..I was wondering how many times have you got LH-RH Glass or Assembly ripped off..Is there someway I can install a device or something to prevent this...!

regards,

Div
Old 23rd February 2006, 01:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dude, ALWAYS change the oil filter,fuel filter at every service.

Thats very sad to hear ur mirror assembly getting ripped off. I haven't heard of this happening.Try installing a good security system and keep the car parked near a security watchman always to avoid this mishaps.
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

What the others above said .That's all there is you can do with normal techniques.
Old 23rd February 2006, 05:40   #7
BHPian

wolfinstein man i can totally understand what you are going through my safari side view mirrors got flicked thrice.. best thing to do is buy stolen ones they are very cheap and usually stay on your car longer than original ones. u can propably get them in the kashmiri gate side of town.
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:45   #8
BANNED

Hey Wolfinstein, I had the same problem with the headlights on my Lancer. I switched to Philips Rallyeye 100/130 watt bulbs and got a relay fitted. The light is really good now, I think it's more than enough for you. Cost me around 800 bucks, so should be around the same for you.

Just please remember to get the headlights focused properly so you don't blind oncoming cars, and please don't use your high beams unless you really need to because they're extremely bright!
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

NO! Not 130/100. Too bright for the oncoming traffic, too hot for the Headlamp assembly's internals.

100/90 is the right choice.
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:42   #10
BANNED

Heh. Ok 90/100 then, though i haven't had any problems with my headlights so far. And don't worry, they've been focused properly.
Old 23rd February 2006, 18:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Boom, i ain't complaining about u.
Its just that on the longer run with 130/100, i've had lens fade.
Moreover,100/90 is itself an street-illegal conversion.If we have 130/100 , we should forget conscience. The oncoming traffic will think some UFO has landed with such bright lights
Old 25th February 2006, 00:07   #12
BHPian

Thank you guys..Nitrous/Boom/abhishek/Rice_Tuner for the response...I'm sure if there is a need for brighter bulbs I will go ahead with 100/130 option as suggested by most- The Relay- Currently got the Bosch Relays won't they go- and what is the watt of bulbs already installed..No way to check unless i remove them which seems very precarious...
Head-Light ReAiming- I can get that done..But if its brighter bulbs that are needed then that'll go first...!
Here's a Bit I din't get- The Oil Filter- as said should be changed everytime- But I have myself seen guys at showroom, They happily replace your Oil Filter and with the old one, they open it up,clean it with petrol and seal it back..So am not sure should I keep getting that changed from Showroom as I have till now or go and buy an orignal one from the market- what filter should I go for-Brand/Price/Model No would really help if you guys can recommend some.

Nitrous I din't get this very well

" NO! Use Engine flush liquid which is available in a 300ml sealed container.(I use OWS engine flush)."

What Brand are we talking about- Anyclue where available in delhi, How is it done or how to flush...! Does it need to be of any particular strength like 20 W/40 etc..! Man this will help..!

BTW I heard that there is going to be a Official Modified Bikes and Cars Show Today at NSIT-Netaji Subash Institute of Technology ( DCE-Delhi)...! Anyone Going..!

regards,

Div

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th February 2006 at 00:09.
Old 25th February 2006, 01:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
" NO! Use Engine flush liquid which is available in a 300ml sealed container.(I use OWS engine flush)."
Avoid petrol/diesel for flushing oil-sump.

U can get engine flush at accessory shops/garages.
Just add the flush to the engine oil and run it for 10-15 minutes. After this ,drain the oil. Simple
Old 25th February 2006, 04:21   #14
BHPian

you'll get the engnie flush at palika bhavan near hyatt or at khan market.
Old 26th February 2006, 13:10   #15
BHPian

thanks Abhishek- I happened to visit Khan Market and brought The Engine Flush- I walked in This Merc Spare Parts dealer and all he had was STP Engine Flush- Is that good enough.
I also replaced the lamps of my headlight- The OEM ones are 60/55W and had slight yellow tinge maybe dust or age..! The OEM ones I had for spare are the same except crystal clear..I will try them out tonite to see if there is any change in brightness.
All you guys suggested to shift to a Higher powered bulb, However if most of you all based in delhi are aware that at times there are Traffic drives which fine you for using High Power Lamps/ High Beam and Halogen Lamps when there is no need- Legally how much of this can be allowed, Although Yes ! Legal Implications are limited to flashing of Gandhiji.
The baby will go on service on 2 March- The Day brought her home 5 years Ago..!
I have noticed another thing- Whenever I ask the Mechanic to Check the MPFI System-If it needs Cleaning-They open it uo and say its clean- However Is that the right way- or is it must to have it done after a certain Mileage- Where in Delhi I can get that done properly..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks